Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
OMG I didn't know this might happen if we give marrow bone to a dog. Thanks for sharing. Will think twice before giving marrow bone to my chihuahua.

·
Registered
6 Posts
which bones are okay then?

Just put my 14 year old bull mastiff mix to sleep recently. We never had any problem with him or his sister that we know of with the marrow bones but we just got a beautiful pit from a rescue and I've been enjoying getting her new goodies and she likes the deer antlers that my other dogs never really got into. Today I got her a couple of marrow bones from our local store from their raw section and now I'm wondering if I should try to exchange them for another type of bone or something else.

What are the things that are the safest for them to chew?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would of never thought those bones could damage Emma's teeth.
I've been buying the short meaty ones from publix and she gets a new one every coupla months.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, this sucks to read.. My girl gets a bone everyday because it helps her separation anxiety. She will continue to get them but I hope I can wean her off them at one stage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, this sucks to read.. My girl gets a bone everyday because it helps her separation anxiety. She will continue to get them but I hope I can wean her off them at one stage.
have you tried giving her a stuffed kong?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Why not give beef ribs instead of marrow bones? Much much safer.

Reactions: Makovach

·
Registered
126 Posts
I saw this thread last week. To be honest, I thought: "that's not happening to my dog and she absolutely loves her marrow bones filled with peanut butter from PetSmart, so I'll just watch her with them and give them to her less."

Today, we went for her year check-up and one of her back teeth had a minor chip. So, don't think it can't happen. I IMMEDIATELY thought of this thread when my vet pointed it out.

I'm going to be giving her the West Paw Tux filled with peanut butter frozen to get the similar effect of her chewing on these bones.

Our vet recommended C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews as an alternative to rawhide and marrow bones. She commented that the cow hooves that Quinn enjoys would be a better pick than the marrow, as well.

Here's a link to the C.E.T. -- C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Large Dogs, 30 Chews: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

What's everyone's thoughts on alternatives?

And THANK YOU for this post!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I saw this thread last week. To be honest, I thought: "that's not happening to my dog and she absolutely loves her marrow bones filled with peanut butter from PetSmart, so I'll just watch her with them and give them to her less."

Today, we went for her year check-up and one of her back teeth had a minor chip. So, don't think it can't happen. I IMMEDIATELY thought of this thread when my vet pointed it out.

I'm going to be giving her the West Paw Tux filled with peanut butter frozen to get the similar effect of her chewing on these bones.

Our vet recommended C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews as an alternative to rawhide and marrow bones. She commented that the cow hooves that Quinn enjoys would be a better pick than the marrow, as well.

Here's a link to the C.E.T. -- C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Large Dogs, 30 Chews: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

What's everyone's thoughts on alternatives?

And THANK YOU for this post!
I now give my pug frozen beef rib bones. She loves em, they clean her teeth and I feel they are much more safer than marrow bones.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ignorant question time. What's the difference between a marrow bone and a raw meaty bone? I'm talking about the frozen raw bones you buy at the pet store or grocery store. I thought that those were raw meaty bones, but apparently there is something different.

Thanks but I'll stick with natures toothbrush... raw meaty bones :wink: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Most marrow bones are weight bearing bones (legs) which are extremely dense. They hold up several hundred pounds of cow. Raw meaty bones are more like whole chicken, turkey, duck, pork/beef ribs, pork/beef necks, turkey necks. Generally a softer or more porous bone a dog can actually eat.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
DaneMama, as you know my Millie is having that same tooth extracted on Tuesday. How has Shilo adapted to having that tooth gone?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is it me or do those "oral chews" look like rawhide?

Grey, I think your vet was just up selling you a product. That product could do as much harm as a regular rawhide bone. It is made of "select beef hide" in other words, rawhide.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is it me or do those "oral chews" look like rawhide?

Grey, I think your vet was just up selling you a product. That product could do as much harm as a regular rawhide bone. It is made of "select beef hide" in other words, rawhide.
My thought exactly.

·
Banned
84 Posts
I'll try to avoid marrow bone this time. Since I don't brush my dog's teeth often, tartar could build up fast. Thanks for the infor jdatwood :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm still kind of confused about what were talking about, I see the pictures but that seems like a lot of different body parts to me.

I know legs, basically anything labeled a "trotter" is not a good idea because of how easily broken they are, but I didn't realize the stuffed bones are an issue?

My dog gets hooves and knee caps and crown knuckles, thoughts on these?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts