Dog Food Chat banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gir gets a cooked marrow bone once in a while when I make Osso Buco but its been slow cooked for hours with the meat so its not as hard as a raw one would be (the edged can be slightly dented with a thumb nail). That and hard bones end up leaving little sharp chips everywhere like cracker crumbs.

Normally his "bone" of choice is antler of some sort. Its not going to chip his teeth and all it leaves is a little shmutz on the couch cover that washes off. Tried hoof but once it got slobbered on it started to release a cow patty like odor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OMG! Your Shiloh must have been in great pain fracturing his teeth. :( Whoa! and that tartar build up are home to not so nice bacteria that might lead to infection. But I couldn't help myself recommending a product I recently discovered. Its actually a new Dog Treat which was advertised in Amazon called Milkotein. The label says its as hard as a bone but without the risk of disintegrating into sharp splinters. What is good about it is that it helps in maintaining dog's teeth by preventing tartar build up. And its healthy too with the highest levels of protein than any other dog treat. It is also long lasting since it can be reheated on microwave lasting for days. My Vet actually recommends it too as a healthy, risk free dog treat.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
elk antler can do the same damage as a femur bone. elk antler's are very hard.

Antlers are GREAT to give dogs as a chew toy or "rec bone". I bought a full Elk rack on Ebay 2 years ago and the 6 dogs are STILL working on finishing it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Each dog is different and I know there are plenty of people who feed ribs and other non weight bearing bones from large animals with no problem. Becuase I have had my dogs both crack teeth on beef ribs I will never feed any beef bones unless ground into muscle meat. It is not worth the risk when there are so many other softer bones that they can have.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts