Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i saw a bag of treats called 'marrow bones'. or are you talking about the real marrow in bones? i give my puppy chicken quarter, do they have marrow bones on there??
THe bag of treats you saw were probably just regular treats with a cutsy name. Not actually marrow bones. Those aren't usually sold in bags like I think you're talking about.

And yes, all bones have marrow in them (I'm pretty sure, at least). But the bones being discussed here are weight baring bones from large animals. Many people just refer to them as marrow bones or soup bones.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yea I was new to raw feeding when someone suggested to give them and never told me the caution side of it. Then I saw this post I actually got rid of all my marrows/soup bones.

I won't risk it:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the photos!!! I've been reading this post and didn't really know what a marrow bone was, just figured I would never ask for one, therefore I wouldn't buy one! Didn't even realize that my dogs ALREADY HAVE ONE!!!! I often put peanut butter in it (just small pieces of pb throughout) and then freeze it. It gives Raja something to do rather than irritate Jivago. However, I'm throwing it away now!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi. Sad thing is, the meat market sells "dog bones" so we thought they were fine. The ones we bought looked like the 3rd picture down that Jon posted. One of our dogs ended up with a fractured tooth. We took him in when we noticed his breath smelling weird, and the vet said that it was starting to cause a sinus infection as well. We learned our lesson, but unfortunately it cost my little dog his tooth, and it cost us about $400!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i give my dog center cut femur bones all of the time. my dog had them
starting at 9 weeks old. my dogs have never had a problem with femur bones.
i've given them to Chihauhaus, Irish Wolf Hounds, Shepherds, St. Bernards,
Dobbies, etc. i've been told it depends on how the dog chews. an aggressive
chewer might have a problem. my neighbors just adopted/rescued a Chihauhau-Dachund (sp) mix. the pup is 12 weeks old. i gave him a marrow bone. i scooped the marrow out of the bone because it might be to much
for a puppy that's never had a marrow bone.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
when you give your dog peanut butter does it have sugar in it???

Hi. Sad thing is, the meat market sells "dog bones" so we thought they were fine. The ones we bought looked like the 3rd picture down that Jon posted. One of our dogs ended up with a fractured tooth. We took him in when we noticed his breath smelling weird, and the vet said that it was starting to cause a sinus infection as well. We learned our lesson, but unfortunately it cost my little dog his tooth, and it cost us about $400!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi. I think you meant to quote the person who posted above me---lmgakg, re: the peanut butter question. When I used those bones, I just gave them to the dogs as they were. We never had a problem with them in the past either, but once I found the fractured tooth on my dog, I never bought them again.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My dog has a slab fracture on his tooth. I stopped giving marrow bones I had no idea....lucky for me he didn't destroy the whole tooth

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
i give my dog center cut femur bones all of the time. my dog had them
starting at 9 weeks old. my dogs have never had a problem with femur bones.
You never have a problem, until you have a problem. :wink:
There is always a first time for everything....and a broken tooth is not something I want to mess with. :smile:

·
Registered
164 Posts
If it looks like these, don't feed them

These things should be banned for sale for our pets. The companies that produce them are making a quick $ and don't care about the damage done to our pets.
Thanks so very much for those pictures! I was ordering Kofi beef shank bones like the ones pictured from a local butcher. I'm so glad to know of the dangers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been feeding my dogs marrow bones since I got them. I will NOT anymore. Thank you for this thread :)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I give my dog the ''reindeer antlers'', should I not give those anymore either?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yay thats good to hear :) her antler bone is literally her favorite thing, but I took it away from her when I read this thread until I got a reply. She runs into her crate at night looking for it lol, so I know she will be really happy when I bring it out from hiding :p Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm feeling torn about this. i've been giving raw marrow bones to my pup for a while, not knowing they could be a risk. I love the hour of peace i can get a few times a week when my nut job teenage meathead actually sits still. so i've been reading now that they can fracture teeth, and paranoid mom that i am would of course imediately stop giving them to him, BUT, here's the thing. he is a very aggresive chewer, he is the only dog i've ever seen crack a nylabone right in half, but with these, and also with stuffed kongs, he does ZERO chewing. he slowly licks at each end (with a weird blissed out look on his face) until he has gotten everything out that he can reach, then he abandons them. he is always suppervised closely when he has one, and I've never once seen or heard him use his teeth on one. he almost sucks the marrow out like a nursing puppy. i realize it's also a lot of fat, and i should probably cut his calories a bit on days when he gets them, but he's never had any digestive issues. Do you think this is ok, as long as i keep an eye on him and cease and desist if he descides he wants to try chewing instead of sucking?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm feeling torn about this. i've been giving raw marrow bones to my pup for a while, not knowing they could be a risk. I love the hour of peace i can get a few times a week when my nut job teenage meathead actually sits still. so i've been reading now that they can fracture teeth, and paranoid mom that i am would of course imediately stop giving them to him, BUT, here's the thing. he is a very aggresive chewer, he is the only dog i've ever seen crack a nylabone right in half, but with these, and also with stuffed kongs, he does ZERO chewing. he slowly licks at each end (with a weird blissed out look on his face) until he has gotten everything out that he can reach, then he abandons them. he is always suppervised closely when he has one, and I've never once seen or heard him use his teeth on one. he almost sucks the marrow out like a nursing puppy. i realize it's also a lot of fat, and i should probably cut his calories a bit on days when he gets them, but he's never had any digestive issues. Do you think this is ok, as long as i keep an eye on him and cease and desist if he descides he wants to try chewing instead of sucking?
I never gave marrow bones to Aspen knowing how dangerous they are. I always gave him deer antlers and beef ribs, but I really don't see the difference. Antlers are a lot harder and beef ribs are pretty hard too. He broke his lower molar cracking the antler in half and he easily cracks through the beef ribs. I don't give either anymore because he's a powerful chewer. We were able to save his molar...

In your case, as long as he sucks the marrow and you supervise, you should be fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm glad I found this forum. Reading through threads here have made me cut down on the list of bones I will give my dog. Can't be too careful, especially since I'm getting a small dog. I really appreciate folks taking the time to relate their experiences, especially when they make extra effort to include pix or vids. Thanks a bunch.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts