Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I don't know!

I've fed anything from raw (several different ways) to cooked, to dehydrated to kibble to canned. For the majority of my dogs' lives, though it's been Fromm. Fromm keeps their coats beautiful, never ear issues or skin issues. BUT. I don't know if it's coincidence, but I know people are quick to blame food! I've lost 3 dogs to heart failure now. One to a brain tumor and one to liver cancer. I wonder if there's something to do with the food and the heart failure being so common a loss for my dogs. Add to that stool issues, and for my poodle outright rear end explosions. He can't do Fromm.

He eats canned adult science diet in the beef, turkey and chicken flavors. His belly is doing the best its ever done (he does ok on hills ideal balance too). My PWD is finishing up Fromm lamb/lentil and then I'm not sure what I'll try her on next. Maybe Science Diet. I've had so much luck with Jack on the canned that it's worth a longer try on SD. I've tried my PWD on SD before and she's done just fine (large mushy poo though), but I "chicken" out and switch her to something else, since I'd been raised to believe that Science Diet was a horrible food.
My friends had a toy poodle who ate only science diet dry and mighty dog wet with a little yogurt and he made it to 20! Must be doing something right!
I also rather like Purina Beyond.

This is a far cry from the stuff I used to spout! Twenty years into dogs, 5 dogs who've passed (I'm down to 2 dogs, what a weird feeling), I no longer believe food is the ONLY factor. Genetics is a big one, environmental exposure, maybe, but also vaccines (though necessary if not overdone), heart worm meds, flea/tick meds... these could all add up. Now I've learned, you never really know whats' going to get them in the end. TO just enjoy them as you have them each day. Sure, if they are itchy, scratchy, ear issues, it might be the food and it's worth investigating. But I don't think Hills is the devil anymore! Especially as it stopped the belly misery for my poodle, and that's worth something.
<shrugs>

The best food is the one your dog does best on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[email protected], 2 years and one more dog later and I'm going to feed Science Diet. I still like The Honest Kitchen and totally LOVE Fromm but it's not working for us. None of the fancy foods have. I have one pup that can handle anything and does great on most stuff and two others that have issues. Oh how I would love some firm poop! Fromm was fantastic but the poop was never really firm I didn't mind it so much back then but then one dog started having anal gland issues and the new dog has much bigger poop and they are not fun when they are soft.

What I have learned is you have to feed what works. There is not a best food, it's just a best food for your individual dog. :\ I wish now I hadn't wasted so much $$ on boutique foods in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well said, Shelbeme! With my dogs, I've gone from Pedigree to 4Health to making my own food to VeRUS. 4Health was better than Pedigree and didn't cost much more but it was hard to find and I got a bag of moldy dry food that completely turned me off of it. I went from that to making my own dog food - which was both education and a little fun for a little while but after some time, it was a total PITA. I went to VeRUS next and have been completely satisfied. They don't itch, they aren't yeasty, and if my husband doesn't feed them from his plate, they don't eat a lot of grass or have disgusting poop issues. VeRUS doesn't smell gross, it doesn't get all over my hands if I grab a handful, and I have had ZERO issues with mold. Another thing that's kind of nice is that I order it so it comes to me instead of me having to go to that ONE place in town that sells it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to my experience the best manufacturer of dog food is Acana. All company products are certified in accordance with quality standards; the production does not make clinical trials on animals; feed does not contain soy and genetically modified products; the manufacturer does not include products that can harm animals; all feeds are made up of natural ingredients that are easily absorbed by the body of the pet

·
Registered
190 Posts
According to my experience the best manufacturer of dog food is Acana. All company products are certified in accordance with quality standards; the production does not make clinical trials on animals; feed does not contain soy and genetically modified products; the manufacturer does not include products that can harm animals; all feeds are made up of natural ingredients that are easily absorbed by the body of the pet
Are you aware that Acana had the most cases of dogs developing DCM while eating their food? I would never give it to my dog.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts