Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Depends on how you define "the best" since every dog will do differently on different foods. What may be a 5 star food on paper, may be 1 star for a particular dog.

There are few factors I look at including ingredients, sourcing, company reputation and customer service, transparency as well as nutrient analysis (my dog does best on 28-32% protein and 15-18% fat).

As far as processed foods go, I would probably pick Honest Kitchen due to the fact thats it's one of the few (if not the only pet food) that is human grade, they use high quality ingredients, excellent customer service, high palatability, no recalls. We've had a lot of positive feedback from customers when dogs eat this food, especially those with allergies and digestive issues like IBD and colitis.

As far as dry food, my dogs have done well on Acana Regionals, Fromm grain free, horizon legacy, wellness core, canine caviar grain free, holistic select grain free, natures logic and NV instinct.

·
Registered
853 Posts
As far as processed foods go, I would probably pick Honest Kitchen due to the fact thats it's one of the few (if not the only pet food) that is human grade, they use high quality ingredients, excellent customer service, high palatability, no recalls. We've had a lot of positive feedback from customers when dogs eat this food, especially those with allergies and digestive issues like IBD and colitis.
Lol really?! Jax would not TOUCH the stuff. I find the consistency so gross too? I've heard of lots of dogs who refuse to eat it.

I do love the company tho. I wish they made a kibble.

·
Registered
532 Posts
^ thats odd, I usually recommend it to picky eaters and they love it (they tend to be small dogs that have been fed table scraps their whole lives, so its an easy transition).
My dogs all hated the Honest Kitchen. I tried it as a kibble topper and they hated it. I tried a sample of every product they make including cat food for my Moms senior Chihuahua after her jaw was injured and she had to basically eat soup and she refused them all too. The company was very nice though and good customer service.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I can't believe anyone would use The Honest Kitchen. Last time I calculated the cost it was about $10 a day for a large breed dog only for it to starve.

Everyone has the same comment, "great food but my dog lost weight, had constant gas and never had a good poop, but the people were nice."

All marketing and appeal to a certain part of the population.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My dogs all love The Honest Kitchen, some have had poop issues and some have not. Just about all lost weight on it so we added to it or just used it for one meal. I think the Love and Zeal are the best ones.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I saw someone accuse Monster of advocating high protein foods.

....in the spirit of fairness, most of the time, I've seen him do the exact opposite... he usually prescribes more modest protein level foods.

Not sure why this was said but I wanted to add some commentary disputing it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I can't believe anyone would use The Honest Kitchen. Last time I calculated the cost it was about $10 a day for a large breed dog only for it to starve.

Everyone has the same comment, "great food but my dog lost weight, had constant gas and never had a good poop, but the people were nice."

All marketing and appeal to a certain part of the population.

I agree. I do like some of the stuff that HK stands for... if they are telling the truth.

However, it makes no fiscal sense. You may as well put together your own homecooked diet.

That being said, I DID(used to) add HK as a topper. There was a time when Harry loved it. Sadly, he doesn't any more(see my current mess going on w/ my post).

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Honest Kitchen is my pick for favorite. My dogs eat it, no gas, great poop, and lively as hell. It is expensive but I'm not feeding monster dogs, I'm feeding two 5-6lb dogs-one in particular that is a couch potato.

Next, I would pick Fromm :)

Anyway, to each his own, just cause it works great for me, doesn't mean it's going to work great for anyone else. As much as I love Fromm and believe it's great, I have one dog that does absolutely horrible on it.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I saw someone accuse Monster of advocating high protein foods.

....in the spirit of fairness, most of the time, I've seen him do the exact opposite... he usually prescribes more modest protein level foods.

Not sure why this was said but I wanted to add some commentary disputing it.
Thanks....I normally do exactly the opposite...the highest I have ever recommended was 32% and generally say about 25% is best for most dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Mattie could not even sit without itching,licking and could not even play with other dogs, took to vet after a 200.00 bill she was put on hill prescription diet and became worse. I read the ingredients and will never have her on hill anything. For 2 weeks now have her on boiled chicken and honest kitchen samples they sent me she licks maybe a couple times hardly scratches anymore, but have come to a quandary what to feed, honest kitchen requires kibble to go along and cannot decide which one. To put her on so would really like to just have her on no grain something both combined would send me to poverty. I am open to suggestions and appreciate beforehand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if anyone can answer this question, it should be asked what is the absolute best food for your dog. Dogs just like people have different nutritional needs, digestive needs etc. Every dog is different and may do better or worse on specific foods. My own personal experience I have a JRT and Great Dane who are allergic to chicken so I have them on Satori Lamb. I have tried the high protein foods (like orijen) with my JRT (she is high energy) and she did very poorly. There are several reasons why I like Satori as a brand, firstly is works great for my dogs, secondly it's a family owned Canadian company (proud Canadian over here), it also uses WHOLE Canadian sourced ingredients (except the lamb I believe), and lastly the company does lots of good things for their local communities (and the bag is recyclable!).

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You could try the remade raw that is out there. They're for the most part complete diets, you wouldn't even need to add water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Eukanuba dog food, for sure. It's got the most balanced diet in terms of what's actually good for the dog. it's healthy, and my dogs seem to enjoy it, even with their sensitive stomachs. 10/10, def recommend.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really like the VeRus dog foods. My little dog - who is a mutt & very sensitive to food items - has almost COMPLETELY stopped scratching. She used to scratch every 2 or 3 steps. My big dog has a loads of energy - impressive since she's now 11. VeRus has several dry and canned dog food formulas. I've also been really impressed with their customer relations (I ask a lot of questions) and their website is very informative.

·
Registered
332 Posts
YOu're both right. BUt a food company can create a diet based on choosing ingredients for the optimal nutrient profile or they can choose ingredients that look and sound good, but deliver an awful nutrient profile. these days, the latter is much more common, which is why vets see such an increase in GI issues and early kidney issues. very sad.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts