Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion what is the best dog food brand out there? Forget price or other barring factors, Just think about quality and nutrition factors.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Ones professionals use, not internet nutritionists. Foods used by sled dog racers and hunt trialers are the best.

A Team - Dr. Tim's, Red Paw, Annamaet, Inukshuk, Eagle Power are the best.

B Team - Precise Endurance, Eukanuba Premium, Pro Plan Performance, Pro Pac Performance, EVO Red Meat

C Team - Black Gold Signature, The Pride Pro Series 26/20, Loyall Professional, Diamond Extreme Athlete.

Ingredients matter far less than nutrients....keep that in mind.

If you want the best food, ask a professional trainer.

The foods people rave about on here would starve most dogs that are worked.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't think there IS one absolute best dog food brand.

Not until someone makes a food that literally every dog on the planet does well on will there be an "absolute best dog food brand".

There's a lot of foods that ingredient-wise, would make it the best dog food on the planet, but if it comes from a manufacturer that I don't like, I won't feed it.

But if I had to pick my favorite company along with ingredients that I like, it would be Fromm hands down. I also really like Annamaet but have yet to try it. But I've never had a company e-mail me back so quickly, with such great answers to my questions, etc.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
the nutrients are in the ingredients.

Ones professionals use, not internet nutritionists. Foods used by sled dog racers and hunt trialers are the best.

A Team - Dr. Tim's, Red Paw, Annamaet, Inukshuk, Eagle Power are the best.

B Team - Precise Endurance, Eukanuba Premium, Pro Plan Performance, Pro Pac Performance, EVO Red Meat

C Team - Black Gold Signature, The Pride Pro Series 26/20, Loyall Professional, Diamond Extreme Athlete.

>>>>> Ingredients matter far less than nutrients....<<<<<

keep that in mind.

If you want the best food, ask a professional trainer.

The foods people rave about on here would starve most dogs that are worked.

·
Banned
939 Posts
the nutrients are in the ingredients.
That is true but my point was making judgements about the utility of ingredients by human standards or standards that you commonly read. You cannot assume a food with an "impressive" list of ingredients is any good.

The nutrients are in the food as a whole, and whether they can be used by the dog. The ingredients panel is just one part of the equation.

The question was "the best" by the OP, so the only way to answer that question is to list the foods used by dogs with the most extreme nutritional needs. If next year at the NAVHDA Invitational there is VC on The Honest Kitchen or Ziwi Peak I will gladly put it in the list.

I know of no other way to judge any product, at the limits.

It also depends on how the OP views the dog. Is it an animal or a baby?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For my individual dog her life consist of following me around the house, sleeping, eating, taking walks and begging for scraps. The most amount of strenuous activity she gets is running away from Sampson my cat when he decides its play time LOL. I just want to find a brand that will keep her happy and healthy for as long as possible.

·
Banned
939 Posts
For my individual dog her life consist of following me around the house, sleeping, eating, taking walks and begging for scraps. The most amount of strenuous activity she gets is running away from Sampson my cat when he decides its play time LOL. I just want to find a brand that will keep her happy and healthy for as long as possible.
Then pick a food with about 25% protein and 15% fat with low ash, especially phosphorous. That type of animal will never use the amount of protein or fat that people on here will try to sell you. There is no more important aspect for a pet dog than ash.

Dr. Tim's Kinesis, Annamaet Encore, Precise Chicken & Rice, Eukanuba Maintenance, Pro Plan ALS, Canidae Chicken & Rice, Fromm Gold, Exclusive Chicken & Rice are all good choices.

Try to avoid overproteinated foods and you need not spend so much.

If anyone suggests you spend around $3lb for dog food, ask them to buy it for you.

$.75lb to about $1.25lb is the right range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To respond to Monster's Dad I have no illusions that Delilah is an animal but I consider her my little fur baby. I'm responsible for her but she doesn't have little clothes or get carried around or walked in a stroller. Shes definitely not a working dog, she is considered part of the family though.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree that your dog probably won't need a very high protein food, you want one with good ingredients, which does not include a food that contains a bunch of grains, IMO. Most grain free foods will be fine when fed in the correct portions, you just have to keep in mind that when a dog is not that active, she will not need as much food as she may have eaten before when upgraded to a better one. Just make sure she gets plenty of exercise too!

The brands I prefer are Orijen, ZiwiPeak, Acana, Canidae Grain Free, Taste of the Wild, Annamaet, Fromm, Evo, Wilderness, and Wellness Core.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Monsters Dad, you said something about VC in regards to THK and Ziwipeak. What is VC?
That is the highest level for the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assciation. These are dogs that point and retrieve (water retrieving as well).

Dogs have to qualify and be invited to that test each year. There are other two like the Purina Endurance Invitational. The amount of training for these titles is excruciating.

My point was in response to the original question of "what is the best". The "best" is that product which performs at the extremes whether its needed or not.

·
Banned
939 Posts
To respond to Monster's Dad I have no illusions that Delilah is an animal but I consider her my little fur baby. I'm responsible for her but she doesn't have little clothes or get carried around or walked in a stroller. Shes definitely not a working dog, she is considered part of the family though.
If she is a family pet, feed her in a safe manner that is consistent with her breed type, age, level of activity and current physical condition. Avoid the dog park fad foods because they are largely untested foods and, frankly, people that use them are the type of pet owners that switch so often they couldn't possibly know if the food was any good. You need a good 3 - 6 months to tell.

The long term health of your dog will not be determined by which food you pick, unless you feed something with too much ash. Then you are looking for trouble.

How frequently you vaccinate, when or if you neutered, breed, excercise and whether the dog suffered an injury as puppy will impact long term health much more than what you feed, in this country anyway.

Pick a food made by people that know dogs, not companies that know marketing.

Dr. Tim's Kinesis, Annamaet Encore, Precise C & R and Fromm Gold would be my picks for the average pet.

Of the foods mentioned by others avoid Nature's Variety like the plague.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree hands down the best food on the market is Ziwipeak. We all obviously have different opinions on what constitutes "the best food" and Ziwipeak meets all my requirements.

My requirements that go into making a food the "best" would be ethically raised meat that was fed the correct diet and had access to sunshine. Any animal product my animal eats should never, ever have been given any kind of steroid! So if I can find a food that lists meat doesn't use growth enhancements that's number one. Then I want the ingredients to list specifically what cuts I'm feeding. Such as venison tripe, venison liver, lamb tripe, etc. I want to where the minerals came from and make sure they're chelated minerals as my personal belief is those are more beneficial. Those are the starters of what I look for in buying a premade food and Ziwipeak meets those requirements. I also want the veggies/fruit to be limited and I want to know they're not GMO and they're not grown with tons of pesticides.

I don't think any animal should ever just be relying on kibble, though, and adding in fresh ingredients to me would be just as important as finding a kibble I considered "the best."

So what's the best kibble? Depends on what's most important to you. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Monster's Dad, you often refer to hard working dogs and their nutritional needs. Most of us have average pets. If I fed my dogs the high protein, high fat diets that you recommend, my dogs would get very sick, especially my boxer. None of my dogs do well on grain inclusive kibbles - yes, I've tried them. They itch and get eye goobers. What works for one dog doesn't work for every dog. My boxer and my poodle do well on a grain free kibble that's around 25% protein and 14% fat. Right now, I'm transitioning them to Petsmart's new grainfree Authority Chicken and Potato. So far, so good. They also do well on TOTW Pacific Stream, which is almost double the price. My westie mix, who's allergic to nearly anything, only does well on California Natural Salmon Meal and Peas (no grain/potato/alfalfa). I just bought a bag of California Natural Kangaroo and Lentils (to see if she can handle it), which is similar, except for the protein source. We'll see...

·
Banned
939 Posts
Monster's Dad, you often refer to hard working dogs and their nutritional needs. Most of us have average pets. If I fed my dogs the high protein, high fat diets that you recommend, my dogs would get very sick, especially my boxer. None of my dogs do well on grain inclusive kibbles - yes, I've tried them. They itch and get eye goobers. What works for one dog doesn't work for every dog. My boxer and my poodle do well on a grain free kibble that's around 25% protein and 14% fat. Right now, I'm transitioning them to Petsmart's new grainfree Authority Chicken and Potato. So far, so good. They also do well on TOTW Pacific Stream, which is almost double the price. My westie mix, who's allergic to nearly anything, only does well on California Natural Salmon Meal and Peas (no grain/potato/alfalfa). I just bought a bag of California Natural Kangaroo and Lentils (to see if she can handle it), which is similar, except for the protein source. We'll see...
I realize that, but the question was the "best" not the most appropriate. Once the situation was described the recommendation changed.

So if the Petsmart food works, will you use that or change? Why change from CN Salmon? Which dog was on Acana Chicken & Oats?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I agree that your dog probably won't need a very high protein food, you want one with good ingredients, which does not include a food that contains a bunch of grains, IMO. Most grain free foods will be fine when fed in the correct portions, you just have to keep in mind that when a dog is not that active, she will not need as much food as she may have eaten before when upgraded to a better one. Just make sure she gets plenty of exercise too!

The brands I prefer are Orijen, ZiwiPeak, Acana, Canidae Grain Free, Taste of the Wild, Annamaet, Fromm, Evo, Wilderness, and Wellness Core.
Well I mostly agree with this list I do have some comments...
Orijen - Can be very rich for some dogs, lots of different protien sources
Ziwipeak - From what I've seen very good food, no complaints there -- but this food is pricey
Acana - I like the company, I actually like the look of their pear and apple lines but I have not tried the food
Canidae - Haven't looked into this food
TOTW - was involved in a recall this year, I'm sure everything is settle now but something to think about..I like to trust my dog food company
Annamaet - Like the ingredients, but have not personally fed this food
Fromm - Great company, some of their ingredients are odd, but dogs do well on their food
EVO - very high protein, overall seems like a good food for a active dog, some of their food is a bit higher in ash than I'd like,
Wilderness - I do not like BB as a company
Wellness core - My dog hated Wellness core and she is not a picky eater

Ranmiller, this is nothing against you I think many ppl would recommend these foods, this is just my personal experience with them. (Besides the fact that I liked your list)

I currently am a huge fan of Horizon brand products. This is the first time that Tess has not had yeasty ears in at least 2 years...

Two others that I've heard recommended on here many times
Earthborn - I'm not a fan of their ash content, but I haven't used the food
Nutrisource - Looks like a good food, I haven't tried it

Reactions: Shtaylor44

·
Registered
684 Posts
I realize that, but the question was the "best" not the most appropriate. Once the situation was described the recommendation changed.

So if the Petsmart food works, will you use that or change? Why change from CN Salmon? Which dog was on Acana Chicken & Oats?
I'll use the Grain Free Authority Chicken and Potato if it works. I'll also rotate it with TOTW Pacific Stream every so often, as both dogs do well on it. Both kibbles are okay, but not the best, I realize. I'd rather use Acana grain free, but it's too pricey for me. My boxer and my poodle were on Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato (also contains steel cut oats). It's a good food, but it made them both itchy and have eye boogers (boxers are a royal pain to feed, btw - most can't handle grains, and my boxer absolutely can't handle high protein kibbles - 30% or higher).

I bought the bag of kangaroo for my westie mix just to see if she can tolerate it. The CN Salmon is the ONLY kibble she's been able to tolerate so far, so I'd like to have an alternative food to rotate to every so often. I wouldn't change her to the Kangaroo permanently, b/c it's too low in both protein and fat (although I've read that westies do better on this type of food).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Many have spoken of over feeding a food because it has too much protein in it. If the ultimate goal is to have a food similar to what they eat in the wild, therefore very little carbohydrates what else can you add or subtract from the mix in formulating a food to bring down the carbs? Choices are fat, protein, ash, water-you need more of one or more of these. Kibbles have problems with water content above 10% plus who wants to pay for water? Ash is the true filler in a food above a level of about 2% thus the non used portion ends up in the stool and certain parts of the ash profile can be detrimental to the pet.

To me one of the reasons grain frees have had an impact on the health of a dog is that many are lower in carbs than the typical "grain inclusive" diet due to a higher protein amount used because non grain ingredients often cost more than a protein source.

Is it harmful to the pet to have these higher levels of proteins in the diet? In my opinion with out some underlying medical condition that is already existing it is not. You don't cause kidney failure initially with high levels of protein in the diet. Kidney disease arises from other causes. One could also look at the so called biological value of the proteins used to see just how usable the protein is to begin with and then judge their usefulness. The extra protein is then used as a calorie of heat as the storage of extra calories into fat tends to arise from carbs preferentially after fat and lastly, protein.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts