Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:redface:poop. Oakley has been on raw since last Friday. She had a bright yellow soft.. mucousy.. poo this morning... in the last 24 hours she has had... yesterday morning: venison muscle cut with egg, lunch: goose leg (didnt eat bone), dinner: goose leg (ate half bone). This morning she had a very fatty chicken back.

It looked really strange.. so just thought I would ask. You guys probably think I'm obcessed with poop! :eek::redface:

But to me its just a good indicator of whats going on in there... :rolleyes: and this doesnt look very good?

*********************UPDATE BELOW

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wanted to add, she also had a spoonfulof non fat plain yogurt, but she gets that daily.

Shes acting completely normal.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Beginning raw feeders pretty quickly become dog poop experts. :smile: Yellow poop is indicative of chicken. I haven't fed any duck but I would guess poop from duck meals would be similar to poop from chicken meals. I would think venison this early in the diet would contribute to softish poop. It could have easily caused cannon butt. I think you came out pretty good in feeding venison. I can't remember how old Oakley is but she must be pretty young. Puppies tend to adapt to real food faster than older dogs. Probably because she has had kibble for a shorter period of time.

Fat can cause soft stools but usually the bones in the back cancel out the tendency for soft stools caused by fat. Fat has less of a tendency to cause soft stools after the dog has been eating real food for a month or so.

All appears ok to me. You will soon know which foods cause what kind of poops. :smile:

Poop is a good indicator of how the diet is going and whether you need to increase or decrease bones or organs. However, in about 6 months or so you won't hardly notice poops anymore. You will just know from experience that she is getting the right mixture of foods.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shes actually had venison all week... at least one meal. Hasn't had much of an impact. Before I made the 100% switch she had had meals of chicken and goose too. I know its supposed to be a slower introduction.. opps.

Actually, doing a google search- it is one of the symptoms of parvo. So now I'm a little freaked out. But she seems fine otherwise.. so.. ??

She is 14lbs and was 13 weeks old on Monday. She has had 2 full sets of shots and is due for one more on the 4th.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Shes actually had venison all week... at least one meal. Hasn't had much of an impact. Before I made the 100% switch she had had meals of chicken and goose too. I know its supposed to be a slower introduction.. opps.

Actually, doing a google search- it is one of the symptoms of parvo. So now I'm a little freaked out. But she seems fine otherwise.. so.. ??

She is 14lbs and was 13 weeks old on Monday. She has had 2 full sets of shots and is due for one more on the 4th.

I wouldn't worry about parvo with her. Her immunity is still a bit comprimised but she should be protected to the point where she shouldn't contract the disease. That is why boosters are giving on a regimen, if not their immunity would decrease over time. The last booster should be given at 4 months along with a Rabies shot. That is the point in their life that immunity lasts thru adulthood. I would still booster a year later for both, but then go on a limited vaccination cycle after that. Rabies vaccine has been tested to be good for 7 years, if not longer. Everyone has their own opinions on vaccinations and how often they should be given...this is just my own.

I totally think that the poo you are seeing is from what you have been feeding her.

If you want her stool to firm up feed her more chicken backs, which has the bone to do so.

Poo is a good indicator of how their bodies are working internally, but remember that you in the process of switching to a new diet, if not a new lifestyle for your dog. It will take some time for her to get used to it. Diarrhea is a normal bodily function, but unless it is severe (completely watery...ie cannon butt LOL) and lasts for several days in a row and doesn't get better with adding more bone, there is no need to worry at all :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Sounds like it was the eggs to me, sometimes if I give the dogs eggs their poop comes out looking slimey and gooey.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Like I said, puppies adapt to a raw diet A LOT quicker than adults. Some say that there is no need for gradual introduction of new foods for a puppy.

If she had parvo, you would know it. There would be vomiting and severe diarrhea as well as the dog being very listless.

Natalie: This is a subject for another thread if you want to persue it but booster shots don't really boost anything. You give a series of vaccinations for reasons that have to do with mother's immunity still being in the puppy's body for an undertermined period of time. If you knew the exact moment the mother's immunity was no longer in the puppy's body, one vaccination is all that's needed.

ETA: And your right the last of the puppy shot series should be given at or after 16 weeks of age.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh.

So last night she had a pudding poo. Now its almost 2am here and she just woke me up in a panic... and she never wakes up in the night. We go outside and she explodes... cannon butt. Yellowish brown the stinkiest thing I've ever smelt... :frown:

And that.. wouldn't have been so bad but then she just kept straining and straining... and nothing was coming out. So she gets cold and give up and wanted back inside... we get two steps in the door and she runs back out to strain and a little more cannon butt then strain and strain. We start going back in again after 10 mins... and have to go back outside again.

Now I'm sitting in the kitchen waiting for her to have to go again and worrying.

This is freaking me out a bit. My uncle is a vet and all day T-day he was telling me she was going to get a bone stuck in her bowels.. :frown: hes old school and not open to learning anything new so I ignored him.

But she just keeps straining! I feel so bad for her right now. :frown: What if somethings wrong?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking of feeding her rice to get her a bit solid-er and get her tum settled down. Is that a sin in the life of raw? I'm so worried and scared. :frown:

I feel like giving up and buying a bag of dog food tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I am thinking of feeding her rice to get her a bit solid-er and get her tum settled down. Is that a sin in the life of raw? I'm so worried and scared. :frown:

I feel like giving up and buying a bag of dog food tomorrow.
Calm down. :smile: It's not the end of the world. Let's go back and start over again. Let her miss a meal then stick with only chicken backs, wings, or necks for a week. Rice will not get her more solid ... bones will. These parts are very boney. Remove the excess fat from the backs. Be sure not to overfeed her. 2% of her expected adult weight/day.

Next week add some meatier pieces of chicken like quarters or bone in breast or even boneless breast. The next week add turkey to the diet. Check out my web page in my sig and it will guide you on how to feed her.

If you have more questions, please ask. Keep us posted on her progress.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't give up just yet! Stick with the chicken for a few weeks. :smile:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They are just trying to help. There is absolutely nothing wrong with raw feeding!! Sheesh..

You gotta know Claybuster. He would love to feed raw. He knows its the optimum way to feed a dog but he's a bone phobic and can't bring himself to do it. :smile:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. We are doing better.

I actually gave her 2 tablespoons of cooked rice at 8am yesterday morning, because if I completely fasted her.. she'd be puking all day. That held her over... maybe not the optimum choice or the right choice, but it worked for us.

Then I was waiting and waiting waiting for a poop.. didn't want to feed her until we got a poo... but she hadn't pooped by 5 last night, and she was happy go lucky Oaky but hungry. So I fed her a trimmed up chicken back. She happily ate it. She didn't have a bowel movement until midnight. But I was so happy to see her pass something that didn't involve cannon butt! This morning she had a solid poop. And a chix back for breakfast. And another for lunch around 3 pm...debating if one more at dinner will be too much for the day. I'm going to go weigh the ones I have in the fridge and see what they come in at. I trimmed the fat off of them already.. as there was a TON of fat on them and I dont think that was helping.

Thanks for all of your help and patience as I find my way...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Well. We are doing better.
Thats great, but I'm not surprised.

And a chix back for breakfast. And another for lunch around 3 pm...debating if one more at dinner will be too much for the day.
Unless you expect her ideal adult weight to be more than 60 lbs, don't feed anymore today. You have reached her daily limit. Remember that you should be feeding something around 2% of her ideal adult weight. For a small dog, thats not much food but it is all thats needed or desired. A 60lb dog (I picked that number at random) should get a little over a pound a day of food.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just backs seemed like too much bone- her stools were too hard/powdery. So I added in quarters as of yesterday. But yesterday morning we had some weird poos. I gave her a spoonful of yorgurt (which she gets daily) and an hour later she had a half mucousy (white) half solid poo... then 30 mins after that she had pure clear dark green liquid?!? But was fine other than that. Ate a thigh for lunch. Half a back for dinner. Didn't have another poo until 5am today. Which was a good poo. Another little one at lunch today, some loose some solid. :redface: Maybe we'll skip the yogurt? I dunno..

Its hard to split meals due to her little size- she needs to be fed 3x a day yet.. So I am doing half a chix back half breakfast, half chix back lunch, half a quarter dinner. Figure dinner should be her biggest meal since she has the longest time gap between dinner and breakfast. If she needs more I will do a whole back for breakfast.

The bitch was 60lbs the sire 90lbs. I am guessing Oak will be about 60, if not less, shes small for her age. I've been trying to feed about a pound a day.

-----

It would be much easier to just feed kibble. And I got kinda nervous the other day.. but honestly, I think this is whats best for her. On TOTW she was pooping 7-8 times a day. BIG poops. Obviously she was not getting much out of that food. I swear.. I mean I was only feeding her 1.5-1.75 cups a day... and she was probably pooping more than that out!

Now she poops 2-3 times a day and they are very tiny! Her body can process this diet to the max! Shes like a lean mean meat processing machine! Yes, we are going through a transition which is a bit up and down, but I am going to give this at least a month. Even switching kibbles can cause this much upset in a dog. I believe this is going to be a good thing for us, but nothing happens overnight.

Thank you so much for helping me through this! I'm learning so much here... and from the links provided. :biggrin:

·
Registered
219 Posts
2% of 60lbs is 1.2lbs... I would probably aim for at least 1.2-1.8lbs (2-3% of body weight) to start with.
You can add that extra bit at bed time if she tends to get hunger pukes. Mine did when I first switched (and still do occasionally) and a snack before bed helped.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Just backs seemed like too much bone- her stools were too hard/powdery. So I added in quarters as of yesterday. But yesterday morning we had some weird poos. I gave her a spoonful of yorgurt (which she gets daily) and an hour later she had a half mucousy (white) half solid poo... then 30 mins after that she had pure clear dark green liquid?!? But was fine other than that. Ate a thigh for lunch. Half a back for dinner. Didn't have another poo until 5am today. Which was a good poo. Another little one at lunch today, some loose some solid. :redface: Maybe we'll skip the yogurt? I dunno..
Leave off the yogurt. It's not doing what you think it is anyway and it's adding an unknown into the equation. Her body needs to learn to digest real food and if you are helping her digest it, it takes her longer to learn.

Its hard to split meals due to her little size- she needs to be fed 3x a day yet.. So I am doing half a chix back half breakfast, half chix back lunch, half a quarter dinner. Figure dinner should be her biggest meal since she has the longest time gap between dinner and breakfast. If she needs more I will do a whole back for breakfast.
If you are feeding her around a pound a day, thats fine. Too much food can cause digestive upset at this stage so keep the volume on the low side for a few weeks at least.

It would be much easier to just feed kibble.
You're going to be surprised. In a couple of months after you have a set routine and Oakley has settled in on the diet, this will be almost as easy as feeding kibble. In my case, only packing up a case of stuff into ziplock bags is more difficult than kibble. The rest is just as easy and you won't give each meal a second thought.

And I got kinda nervous the other day.. but honestly, I think this is whats best for her. On TOTW she was pooping 7-8 times a day. BIG poops. Obviously she was not getting much out of that food. I swear.. I mean I was only feeding her 1.5-1.75 cups a day... and she was probably pooping more than that out!
Exactly :smile:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts