Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Mater's paws, stomach, and insides of his hind legs are red, and irritated. I'm pretty sure that it is a yeast infection and I'm taking him to the vet on Tuesday. What all can cause yeast infections and how can it be cured/prevented?

PS I know a raw diet can cure and prevent it but I'm not in the position to feed raw right now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
9 views and no suggestions :(

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't know that it IS a yeast infection.
Does it stink? Yeast infections usually manifest in the ears.

It sounds more like allergy to me.

Skin infections stink (badly) and usually have raised brown or bloody cyst like bumps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics:
One of his front paws

Inside of his left front leg

Belly and insides of his hindlegs

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really doesn't smell but we've been washing him every week with an oatmeal shampoo to see if it would help with some relief plus it smells good.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I still vote allergy.

Have you washed his bedding with fabric softener or anything else that could be irritating to his skin?

Poor guy.

My cavalier looked like that when his food allergy manifested.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, we haven't washed his bedding in anything different. We've been washing it in the same detergant since we brought him home.

I'm thinking allergy too but from everything I've read yeast infections can be brought on my allergies.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
What are you feeding now? yeast feeds on sugar, so its very important to stay away from grains (actually preferrably all carbs), but if you feed kibble, find something thats grain free, I would also eliminate potatoes.
Maybe something like horizon legacy or the new Innova Evo salmon/herring? they use peas as a binder.
I would also reccomend adding a probiotic to the food, which helps to fight the yeast and increase the healthy bacteria in the gut.

For bathing, use an antifungal/anti-bacterial shampoo, like malaseb or zymox enzymatic shampoo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I vote allergy. Could be a food allergy or an environmental allergy. You have already eliminated the fix for a food allergy.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just started feeding Daimond Naturals Extreme Athlete which has no corn, wheat, or soy. I'm not able to buy the expensive foods because I am a full time student so funds are tight.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Allergies are difficult to diagnose, especially if there is a consistent ingredient in various foods (like chicken byproduct, etc).

I guess just see what your vet thinks.

The cost of the food isn't really an issue at the moment. Say your dog has a beef allergy, it doesn't matter if it's cheap beef or expensive beef, it's still the culprit.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?
A raw diet is the solution for food allergies and you said you aren't going to feed raw. If the problem is yeast, you MUST eliminate carbs. You can't do that and feed kibble. Again, a raw diet is the answer and you eliminated it as a possible solution.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Allergies are difficult to diagnose, especially if there is a consistent ingredient in various foods (like chicken byproduct, etc).

I guess just see what your vet thinks.

The cost of the food isn't really an issue at the moment. Say your dog has a beef allergy, it doesn't matter if it's cheap beef or expensive beef, it's still the culprit.
I understand if it is an allergy to a certain ingredient that I have to eliminate that ingredient and as you said it's hard to diagnose allergies. But if it has to do with carbs then I'm going to have a really hard time finding a food that I can afford that doesn't have carbs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah it sucks if it is food allergy.
I feel for you! I really sympathize.

The prescription food that a lot of vets prescribe is ASTRONOMICALLY EXPENSIVE and terrible quality.

Not to push raw, because I know we get accused of that a lot, but honestly that really is what cleared up my dog.

I had an allergy test done and pork was one of the ingredients he is highly allergic to.

I can feed him raw pork and he is just fine. Something in cooking (home cooking and kibble too) is what causes the proteins to change and trigger the allergic reaction. Pretty crazy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would absolutely love to feed raw. I honestly would. But I'm just currently not in the position to feed raw right now. I'm really hoping that it is a chicken allergy because the last kibble he was on had chicken and this food has chicken too.

What allergy tests did you have done? And how much did they cost?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I did the Spectrum test, however I work for a veterinarian, so it was only cost.

We charge about $150.00 for a laboratory food panel (so that's just food, no environmental stuff). We are on the cheaper side of things. I know a lot of people thing the allergy blood test is worthless as well, but I've seen pretty good success rates at my clinic.
The nice part about Spectrum Labs is that they give you a print out listing all the foods that are free of whatever particular allergen is bothering the dog.
Very helpful.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unosmom - I have considered TOTW but it's still on the high side for me even with the $5 off coupon but I might just have to suck it up and pay for it and see if it help.

spookychick - I will talk to our vet and see how much he would charge and if it's too much I might just have to do a payment plan.

Thanks for all the help. Please keep suggestions coming :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I took Mater to the vet today just for his Rabies shot. The vet said that he's got an allergy to something and I mentioned getting a test done and he said that the test for food allergies isn't very accurate so we didn't have one done. But he recommended a venison, hare, or lamb diet that is hypoallergenic (?). Does anyone know of a decent non-expensive kibble that would fit this? Would TOTW be good?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts