Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
My springer spaniel has a yeast infection in both of his ears and all the vet told me to do was flush them out twice a week with 1/2 vinager 1/2 walet solution but it isnt working. He has a terrible smell in his ears and at this time I can't afford to take him back to the vet yet. Any advice?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes take him back to the vet. Really skip eating out for a week, or skip buying that whatever that you truly don't need, apply for Care Credit (which is interest free for an entire year), or simply call your vet, since they already have seen him they may simply prescribe something. And no offense intended, but if you cannot afford a $40-$50 office visit (you can always explain to the vet once you get there you cannot afford an expensive treatment) then you probably should not have the responsibility of an animal. You should always have a few hundred to one thousand in a savings account on a credit card SOMETHING to be able to provide medical care for your pet(s) when it comes up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am new here and just got my first put down. Thats sad. I did take it to offence. The vet that I go to charges way more than 50.00 for a visit. We were just there a couple weeks ago with all of our babies and had all shots and physicals cought up and thats why I cant afford to go back right away. Please dont tell me that maybe I should not have them because I try my best to give them everything they need as well as my 4 children. Times can get rough for people and that doesnt mean they should not have pets. This is just a hard time for me but I will pull through as always.
I would like to know from others if you are going through a rough time with bills and everything else that life throws, would you just give your pet away? Would you let them down?
Would you try your best to bounce back and do whatever you need to take care of them and your children?
I didnt intend to come here to be bashed or to bash anyone. I just asked for friendly advice.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Man, sorry you got put down on your first try here. My dog had a yeast infection in her ears for forever. FINALLY the vet (a Science Diet vet, I might add) admitted that it might be a food allergy. Sure enough, upon checking her Science Diet prescription food, I found it was filled with nothing but corn, soy, by-products and pork among other disgusting things. Horrified and annoyed that they'd been pushing this food on my poor dog for the past 8 years (that's right, 8 years of health problem after health problem), they admitted the terrible food they'd prescribed for her might be the culprit.

They kept her for a week, cleaned out her ears every day, gave us a medicine to put in them once a day and I switched her food to something more natural (none of the disgusting ingredients listed above). Lo and behold, her yeast infections in her ears went away, she can practically outrun me (she was practically crippled before) and she isn't shedding nearly as much.

Sorry for the long response. The moral of my story is that sometimes a simple switch of food from terrible to natural and a little TLC is all a dog needs to fix a health problem.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well I am new here and just got my first put down. Thats sad. I did take it to offence. The vet that I go to charges way more than 50.00 for a visit. We were just there a couple weeks ago with all of our babies and had all shots and physicals cought up and thats why I cant afford to go back right away. Please dont tell me that maybe I should not have them because I try my best to give them everything they need as well as my 4 children. Times can get rough for people and that doesnt mean they should not have pets. This is just a hard time for me but I will pull through as always.
I would like to know from others if you are going through a rough time with bills and everything else that life throws, would you just give your pet away? Would you let them down?
Would you try your best to bounce back and do whatever you need to take care of them and your children?
I didnt intend to come here to be bashed or to bash anyone. I just asked for friendly advice.
So if you were going through rough times and one of your human kids was sick would you just say that you couldn't afford to take them to the doctor? Of course not you'd get a credit card, ask for financial assistance, SOMETHING to take your kid to the doctor.

I would call around to different vets in the area, ask what they charge for office visits, my vet in a major city charges $42 my vet in a podunk small down of 2,000 people charged $20, my vet in southern California charged $35 and these were/are all good vets. You can also CALL the vet and let them know it isn't working, given you were JUST there they may RX something over the phone.

Also, like I said start putting $30 a month or so into a savings account for your pet(s) so the money is there when you need it. go to www.carecredit.com it's an interest free for 12 months credit card that is ONLY for medical, dental, or veterinary expenses so you have 12 months to pay it off without incurring any additional fees. Yes, I lost my job last year, yes we were only going on 1 income, yes I have a human child, and my dog had cancer and liver problems, needed an ultrasound and a few other things, yes it was over $1,000 and no I didn't want to part with that money right then when we only had one income so what did I do? I opened up a care credit card and put it on that and paid it off over 4 months or so. I have a dog that is severely ill with multiple problems so what do I do? I put $100 a month into a savings account (more if we have more) so that it's there if there is a large expense, if I work any overtime that's where that extra money goes into, I only do vaccinations once every 3 years and do clinics when I do, I do a clinic for heartworm tests, and then a once a year physical at the vet (still ends up being cheaper thang etting everything done at the vet) and just pay the office visit fee and go through discount clinics for the rest, to keep costs down. We aren't rich, we make a normal income for a family of 3 and I still manage to come up with the $1,500 a year for my girl's care with all of her problems and to get puppy all of his shots, neutered, and a premium food. It simply drives me crazy when people say they can't afford something when so many people eat out a lot, buy things they don't need, smoke, drink, go out to the movies, bars, strip clubs, out to dinner, whatever the case may be.

Again if your child was sick would you just say you couldn't take them to the doctor? I know I wouldn't, I'd find a way.

There's Care Credit, there's calling the vet back and seeing if they'll help without seeing you again, there's putting it on a credit card to pay off, there's borrowing from a family member, there's putting $30 away for the next 2 weeks and then going, there's a whole lot of things other than "I can't afford it".

And no, you don't have to get rid of them but you shouldn't take on the responsibility in the first place if you cannot afford it and plan ahead in case something happens and you have a loss of income for a little bit (ie a savings account for the dog, pet health insurance, care credit, etc).

And I fail to see how telling the truth is a put down. Saying "I can't afford it" is an excuse, no you don't WANT to afford it there is a difference. It isn't a put down, it's the simple truth, if you cannot take care of a pet and be responsible, save money for their medical care, take the time to apply for Care Credit, get pet insurance, have a credit card just for them, etc then you shouldn't take on the responsibility of the pet. They don't just "pop up" (neither do kids), it is a CHOICE to take on the responsibility of them and you find a way to get them the medical care they need, same as you find a way to get your children the medical care they need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man she sure is on a roll!!!!
Hey look lady I didnt mean to offend you in any way. I will not believe that I shouldnt have taken my pets in. For your information, When is rains it pours around here and thats a part of life. There has been other things in our lives that have put us in this bind and we are doing our best to bounch back so please dont judge me at all. Just because you are a stay at home(work from home) mommy and your husband is a cop and gets a free ride doesnt mean that we are all that lucky. Maybe your wealth has gotten to your head just a little too much.. Not everyone is you(THANK GOD) and not everyone can live the good life like you. That doesnt mean we dont deserve to have pets to love and do our best to care for. I started this asking for advice and you took to another level. Grow up. I see by reading your posts that I am not the only one you have chosen to bash and it is so sad that you have nothing better to do them to sit on your but at home and be this way to others. I feel for you I really do.

I am so sorry if I have offened anyone with this thread. All I wanted was some advice.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Man she sure is on a roll!!!!
Hey look lady I didnt mean to offend you in any way. I will not believe that I shouldnt have taken my pets in. For your information, When is rains it pours around here and thats a part of life. There has been other things in our lives that have put us in this bind and we are doing our best to bounch back so please dont judge me at all. Just because you are a stay at home(work from home) mommy and your husband is a cop and gets a free ride doesnt mean that we are all that lucky. Maybe your wealth has gotten to your head just a little too much.. Not everyone is you(THANK GOD) and not everyone can live the good life like you. That doesnt mean we dont deserve to have pets to love and do our best to care for. I started this asking for advice and you took to another level. Grow up. I see by reading your posts that I am not the only one you have chosen to bash and it is so sad that you have nothing better to do them to sit on your but at home and be this way to others. I feel for you I really do.

I am so sorry if I have offened anyone with this thread. All I wanted was some advice.
Thanks but nobody's getting a "free ride". We spent years in the military on crap income (yeah $24K a year for a family of 3 is poverty level in case you didn't know), but we still managed to invest, put money away for our pets, as well as our son's college education and a down payment on a home. We got out, I work from home and work over 60 hours a week working 2 jobs, oh yeah PLUS I take 100% care of my child, school field trips, volunteer in his clasroom, and all of the "household duties" such as cleaning, laundry, etc. I work my a$$ off to have what I have, are we rich? Absolutely not, however we are money smart, pay in cash for 99% of our stuff, own our home, our cars, and have invested for our future and our pets medical care. Oh yeah and I volunteer and foster for a rescue too.

So until you are willing to say you have taken a 2nd job to provide the basics of care (medical) for your pet, get off it. I work for what I have, my husband isn't getting a "free ride" for anything, he lived at the academy for 6 months, spent 2 years in Iraq with the military and has also worked for everything we have. Nobody gave us anything, we simply don't sit around saying poor poor me, we figure out a way to turn things around, like investing smart, taking on more than 1 job if needed, and not complaining and saying "I can't". I got news for you, I have found that fi you put your mind to something yes you CAN make things happen.

You obviously cannot afford your pet in giving the simple basics and I'm sorry you have to get so upset at ME for telling the truth but there's an old saying of "don't bite off more than you can chew" and I think it applies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeast infections

My old dog (pound pup) had a horrible yeast infection everywhere. She looked like a baboon in the rear and was called monkey butt when I got her. She was on Ketoconozole and every time we tried to take her off, the yeast infection would flare up. I changed all my dogs to homemade raw. She is off all medication for yeast and doing great. She looks like a normal old dog now.

This is what she looked like when I got her and then now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I called the vet she said that I would have to bring him back in and pay for an office visit and an ear scrape and they are going to work with me on the payments until pet insurance kicks in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry BoxerMommie, but she asked a question and you passed judgement on her immediately then gave her a lecture. I don't blame her for being offended. People do the best they can. You don't know her circumstances and she shouldn't have to explain.

So if you were going through rough times and one of your human kids was sick would you just say that you couldn't afford to take them to the doctor? Of course not you'd get a credit card, ask for financial assistance, SOMETHING to take your kid to the doctor.

I would call around to different vets in the area, ask what they charge for office visits, my vet in a major city charges $42 my vet in a podunk small down of 2,000 people charged $20, my vet in southern California charged $35 and these were/are all good vets. You can also CALL the vet and let them know it isn't working, given you were JUST there they may RX something over the phone.

Also, like I said start putting $30 a month or so into a savings account for your pet(s) so the money is there when you need it. go to www.carecredit.com it's an interest free for 12 months credit card that is ONLY for medical, dental, or veterinary expenses so you have 12 months to pay it off without incurring any additional fees. Yes, I lost my job last year, yes we were only going on 1 income, yes I have a human child, and my dog had cancer and liver problems, needed an ultrasound and a few other things, yes it was over $1,000 and no I didn't want to part with that money right then when we only had one income so what did I do? I opened up a care credit card and put it on that and paid it off over 4 months or so. I have a dog that is severely ill with multiple problems so what do I do? I put $100 a month into a savings account (more if we have more) so that it's there if there is a large expense, if I work any overtime that's where that extra money goes into, I only do vaccinations once every 3 years and do clinics when I do, I do a clinic for heartworm tests, and then a once a year physical at the vet (still ends up being cheaper thang etting everything done at the vet) and just pay the office visit fee and go through discount clinics for the rest, to keep costs down. We aren't rich, we make a normal income for a family of 3 and I still manage to come up with the $1,500 a year for my girl's care with all of her problems and to get puppy all of his shots, neutered, and a premium food. It simply drives me crazy when people say they can't afford something when so many people eat out a lot, buy things they don't need, smoke, drink, go out to the movies, bars, strip clubs, out to dinner, whatever the case may be.

Again if your child was sick would you just say you couldn't take them to the doctor? I know I wouldn't, I'd find a way.

There's Care Credit, there's calling the vet back and seeing if they'll help without seeing you again, there's putting it on a credit card to pay off, there's borrowing from a family member, there's putting $30 away for the next 2 weeks and then going, there's a whole lot of things other than "I can't afford it".

And no, you don't have to get rid of them but you shouldn't take on the responsibility in the first place if you cannot afford it and plan ahead in case something happens and you have a loss of income for a little bit (ie a savings account for the dog, pet health insurance, care credit, etc).

And I fail to see how telling the truth is a put down. Saying "I can't afford it" is an excuse, no you don't WANT to afford it there is a difference. It isn't a put down, it's the simple truth, if you cannot take care of a pet and be responsible, save money for their medical care, take the time to apply for Care Credit, get pet insurance, have a credit card just for them, etc then you shouldn't take on the responsibility of the pet. They don't just "pop up" (neither do kids), it is a CHOICE to take on the responsibility of them and you find a way to get them the medical care they need, same as you find a way to get your children the medical care they need.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sorry BoxerMommie, but she asked a question and you passed judgement on her immediately then gave her a lecture. I don't blame her for being offended. People do the best they can. You don't know her circumstances and she shouldn't have to explain.
You're right because how many people's excuse is "I can't afford it" when they're still buying potatoe chips going out to eat, buying cigarettes, going to movies, etc? People have this attitude that medical care for pets is a luxury and really it shouldn't be. Plan ahead, get pet insurance, put money away each month, get care credit, have a credit card FOR the pets, it isn't rocket science to plan ahead. It isn't passing judgment it's saying be responsible and plan for the future, your pets included and don't treat them like medical coverage is a luxury.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bella! I really apreciate you understanding where I am coming from. I do love my babies and do the best that I can for them. I do not smoke nor do I go out to eat and my children only get junk food for a treat once in a while so she has no idea how things are around here. All I wanted was some advice and what I got from her was rudeness but thats ok because I will not allow her to run me away. I am here in the best interest of my babies and not to deal with people judgeing me.
Have a great night!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Bella! I really apreciate you understanding where I am coming from. I do love my babies and do the best that I can for them. I do not smoke nor do I go out to eat and my children only get junk food for a treat once in a while so she has no idea how things are around here. All I wanted was some advice and what I got from her was rudeness but thats ok because I will not allow her to run me away. I am here in the best interest of my babies and not to deal with people judgeing me.
Have a great night!
Just please don't feel like you have to explain to anybody. You know your circumstances. No one else needs to know.

Yes, there are people out there who are irresponsible pet owners and shouldn't get a pet in the first place. But not all people are the same. People's circumstances change and they do the best they can. Judging people you don't even know doesn't help anyone.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fish Oil can help with ear infections as can food changes. Most ear infections are caused via food allergies and lack of essential fatty acids (such as Omega 3). YOu can buy fish oil at any store for cheap (human grade), and I would recommend upgrading your food if you're feeding something crummy, if not buying another premium food with different ingredients. Many common allergens: corn, wheat, soy, gluten, by-products, beet pulp, beets, BHA, BHT, animal digest, so if your food has any fo these get something better. If not chicken can be an allergen for many dogs also so if your food has chicken maybe switch to a fish based food. Natural Balance makes many formulas for allergy dogs.

That would be for the short term, for the long term I'd recommend putting as much away monthly as you can into a savings account as well as applying for care credit (it's instant approval and no risk of running up a ccd bill since it's only for medical, dental, and vet expenses www.carecredit.com).

My point was not to make you feel bad, but again way too many people act like medical care is a luxury. What would you do if your human child had an ear infection? The dog shouldn't be any different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fish Oil can help with ear infections as can food changes. Most ear infections are caused via food allergies and lack of essential fatty acids (such as Omega 3). YOu can buy fish oil at any store for cheap (human grade), and I would recommend upgrading your food if you're feeding something crummy, if not buying another premium food with different ingredients. Many common allergens: corn, wheat, soy, gluten, by-products, beet pulp, beets, BHA, BHT, animal digest, so if your food has any fo these get something better. If not chicken can be an allergen for many dogs also so if your food has chicken maybe switch to a fish based food. Natural Balance makes many formulas for allergy dogs.

That would be for the short term, for the long term I'd recommend putting as much away monthly as you can into a savings account as well as applying for care credit (it's instant approval and no risk of running up a ccd bill since it's only for medical, dental, and vet expenses www.carecredit.com).

My point was not to make you feel bad, but again way too many people act like medical care is a luxury. What would you do if your human child had an ear infection? The dog shouldn't be any different.
Ok I applied for the carecredit and wasnt approved. They are sending something in the mail within 7 days to explain why.
I have changed his food from Pedigree to Alpo but the infection was already there. His body is very sensitive. He has flea allergies and is now on Comfortis which is a once a month pill and that seems to have helped control the fleas and ticks. I have tried Frontline and Advantix and neither worked for a full month. He is an indoor dog and only goes out to use the restroom and to run and play because I dont want to keep him indoors all the time, its not good for any dog. The vets says that his ears hanging down all the time can cause an ear infection because they arent getting any air so I put a ponytail in his ears and he looks girly but it doesnt bother him. He has an appointment on Saturday to have his ears checked again so this time I am going to make sure that she give him a perscription for the yeast infection and not just sends me away telling me to keep cleaning them with the vin and water.
I will also pick up some fish oil for him today!
I appreciate the advice.
Boxermommie...
Maybe we got off to a bad start and I do apologize on my end. Please understand that not everyone is alike and sometimes things do get hard. The answer to your question about would I do if my child had an ear infection would be to take him/her to the doctor as they are on insurance and take care of the problem. I normally do that for my doggies too but at this time it is a little harder for me. I have been trying to check into insurance for my pets but am a little scared to give my money to just anyone. Does anyone know of any pet insurance that is true and legit?
Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay, I strongly recommend you change your dog's food to a premium brand. Alpo is not a good food at all and could be contributing to his problems. I know it's a bit more expensive, but if you make some of the suggested changes here, along with changing his food, you may be able to avoid future vet visits. Some recommendations for foods:
Solid Gold
Orijen
Merrick
Innova
California Natural
Wellness

There are many more, but any one of these would be far better than what you're feeding him now.

Also, dogs with floppy ears (especially spaniels) are prone to ear infections.
Good luck

Boxermommie -
Had you given your suggestions instead making such blanket judgments, I think it would have gone a long way to actually helping rather than creating such a negative atmosphere.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree with the above partially. Both of my dogs have floppy ears they are not cropeed and neither have EVER had an ear infection, but I also feed a premium food and both are on fish oil and vitamin E.

Alpo is full of corn, by products, wheat, gluten, animal digest, soy, BHA, BHT, among other things that are common allergens for dogs. I would recommend going to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and you want to be feeding at least a 4 star food preferably a 5 or 6 star food. Avoderm, California Natural, Innova, Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Fromm, Natural Balance, Wellness, Solid Gold to name a few. Some you can only get at a feed store, others PetCo has started to carry in their store, and PetSmart carries Avoderm and Blue. Personally I pay around $41 for a 36 pound bag of California Natural, with a 65 pound dog and a 70 pound (and growing) puppy that lasts me about 4-5 weeks, so I spend roughly $10 per week to feed 2 larger dogs. For "bang for the buck" I would say Avoderm, California Natural, or Innova are the best choices (NOT saying they are the best foods, but money versus nutrition they are cheaper than the others but still have good nutrition). A good premium food really should clear up the infection and yeah you'll pay more but you'll feed less plus you shouldn't have to go to the vet as often. You *can* clean your dogs ears with either a solution on the market or a vinegar solution, however I personally have never cleaned my dogs ears and they're very clean and no infections.

Also be careful with Comfortis it's been in the news about it killing some dogs for unknown reasons.

Also yes, if you do a search for "pet insurance" the companies are legit. But like any insurance there are limitations so it just depends on what it ends up being for on if it's covered, how much, etc.

VPI is good http://www.petinsurance.com/index.aspx

Shelter Care is good http://www.sheltercare.com/

These are the 2 bigger ones I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Okay, I strongly recommend you change your dog's food to a premium brand. Alpo is not a good food at all and could be contributing to his problems. I know it's a bit more expensive, but if you make some of the suggested changes here, along with changing his food, you may be able to avoid future vet visits. Some recommendations for foods:
Solid Gold
Orijen
Merrick
Innova
California Natural
Wellness
Listen to bellamicuore! Changing food from one type of terrible to another will not solve anything. However, those food are really pricey and you may be prone to balk at the price (I know I was when I was a sophomore in college and switched my dog from Purina Dog Chow to Canidae). I have three options that I don't know how much everyone on here will agree with:

1. If you want a decent dog food without ground whole corn, by-products, soy, chemical preservatives and artificial colors... I would suggest Nutro Max for your dog because while it may not be the best food out there, it is leaps and bounds ahead of Alpo or Pedigree without being as far ahead in price. Plus they have a money-back guarantee to improve the dog's skin and coat.

2. If you want it almost guaranteed that your dogs problems will be solved, go with a grain free formula such as Innova Evo or Wellness Core. They're pretty much allergen-free foods and will get the job done.

3. Stop feeding dog food all together. The best way to control the ingredients your dog is ingesting is by making the food yourself. There's really only one good, safe, effective way of doing this and that is by doing raw for your dog. This is not nearly as expensive as it may sound, because if you're making chicken for dinner that night for your family, just set aside a whole chicken breast, drumsticks, thighs, etc (amount depends on how much your dog needs) all with the bone in it.

Raw is probably your best option because it's the least amount of work and added money and probably your best shot at putting an end to your dog's health problems. Raw meat has enzymes that keep your dog healthy and help it to digest the meat easily. With cooked meat, the enzymes have been destroyed so your dogs body has to work overtime to digest it and steal enzymes from other parts of its body to do so (this is called "enzyme-robbing").
Dogs don't get salmonella or other meat-related diseases from raw meat because they only have 7 feet of intestines, whereas we have 23. Our bodies have almost 24 hours to keep bacteria in meat in our system and give it a chance to take hold. Dogs have less than a third of that amount of time, not to mention their higher body temperatures assist as well. Simply put: dogs were made to digest raw meat.
And lastly, don't worry about the dogs choking on chicken bones or anything because it's only the cooked bones that splinter and cause problems. Raw bones are soft and easy to eat and break down and completely necessary so your dogs get their proper amount of calcium.
Feeding raw isn't nearly as scary or complicated as people make it out to be, I promise.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just an FYI in recent months Nutro has come under controversy possibly killing dogs so I wouldn't recommend it. It's also had many recalls and it really isn't much cheaper than ones such as Avoderm and Blue Buffalo which are better and haven't been recalled nor has anyone claimed they have killed their dog.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts