Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first co-op order last night! 100 bucks for:

40lbs of fresh chicken quarters (these babies are HUGE)
25lbs of pork butt shoulder (bone in)
60lbs of beef ribs
30lbs of turkey gizzards.

The pork butt shoulders and beef ribs are all in vacuum packed packages!
I split the quarters up into plastic tubs, and the gizzards are a giant meat chunk. It's all human grade too (going to have to pass on the gizzards :p).

Minimal work!
The dogs were like "HERE LET US HELP YOU!"

Hehehe :)

So that's what, .69 cents a poundish?
Awesome.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Move to Milwaukee!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
That is pretty sweet. The co-op around here only buys ground up, rolled into a tube green tripe and tripe mixes. Some other random things as well, but nothing worth having and it's all crazy expensive anyway. :frown:

So congrats!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's such a bummer. :(

I hope something like this co-op forms near you.

Blech for the ground stuff.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
harrkim120 have you posted any messages on your co-op asking where people get their basics from? Also have you looked at their database files to see if they have files with info on companys you can buy from yourself and not as a group?

These are just things that I've found with my co-op, I asked alot of questions and searched the archives.

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
EVEN with my $.25/lb turkey find... I'm still jealous of co-op prices.

Excuse me while i wallow in green envy. lol

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
harrkim120 have you posted any messages on your co-op asking where people get their basics from? Also have you looked at their database files to see if they have files with info on companys you can buy from yourself and not as a group?

These are just things that I've found with my co-op, I asked alot of questions and searched the archives.
Very good point! We hardly ever get anything from the local co-op that we belong to, just order straight from the company that they get their meat through.

One of the main purposes of a co-op is to go in on group orders that would be otherwise too big for just one person. Depending on who you are and how much space you have to store meat, is a big factor in determining if you can order directly from the meat distributor. Its very practical for us to order this way, because we go through a lot of meat and have a lot of room to store it. But there are cases that are smaller than others and more manageable for people with less dogs/space.

·
Registered
939 Posts

Very good point! We hardly ever get anything from the local co-op that we belong to, just order straight from the company that they get their meat through.

One of the main purposes of a co-op is to go in on group orders that would be otherwise too big for just one person. Depending on who you are and how much space you have to store meat, is a big factor in determining if you can order directly from the meat distributor. Its very practical for us to order this way, because we go through a lot of meat and have a lot of room to store it. But there are cases that are smaller than others and more manageable for people with less dogs/space.
These are good points. :biggrin: I did not think to look elsewhere in the co-op files or even to ask. Thanks for the ideas!!!

I did post an ad for any unwanted meat in the area on Craigslist, and someone replied and told me about this awesome, little market that has wicked cheap meats and odd items as well, such as cow and goat heads. :biggrin:

I will definitely look into those things more though. I still have to inquire about that place that you get your meats from, Danemama. I have yet to call and see if I can just order smaller amounts from them.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If its Harvest meats, I would be confident in saying that they wont sell small quantities to you...its all in bulk, 20-60 pound cases depending on what you are ordering. But its worth a shot to ask, nothin' to lose!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
If its Harvest meats, I would be confident in saying that they wont sell small quantities to you...its all in bulk, 20-60 pound cases depending on what you are ordering. But its worth a shot to ask, nothin' to lose!!!
That's OK. I just meant that I didn't want to have to order 3000lbs at a time to be able buy from them. :eek:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
But if Harvest meats is based out of Denver then you have to pay for shipping to FL. You have to have something that is closer to you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
939 Posts
But if Harvest meats is based out of Denver then you have to pay for shipping to FL. You have to have something that is closer to you. Good Luck!
They are based out of Orlando too. They have multiple distribution centers. :biggrin:

And I totally forgot to call them today. :frown: :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts