Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a freezer that I found on Craigslist tomorrow. I've employed my friend with a truck to come along just incase I buy it. So excited!!! I can't wait to fill it with random goodies!!! :biggrin:

I was trying to share my joy with some people at work tonight, but they just totally didn't get it. :rolleyes: I knew I could come on here though...you guys care!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Woot!!! Good luck tomorrow...make sure it's actually working before you buy it. If it isn't already plugged in, ask them to do so to make sure it gets cold. I have a friend who bought a freezer from someone that said it worked but he never plugged it in to make sure...oops!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah just make sure it works first! Make sure it's GOOD and COLD! And I totally understand your excitement, my mom got me my freezer off of craigslist last year for my birthday :biggrin: I can't believe I fed 3 dogs on raw for 9 months with only the freezer in my fridge that I had to share with my roommates! For those who say it can't be done because of a lack of freezer space, I am proof! I love having my freezer though, it is SO much more convenient.

Good luck and hopefully congrats!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Haha, something is seriously wrong with us.
new freezers are almost as exciting as really good meat sales!!!
What kind/ size did you get? Somehow, we always seem to be out of space, even with our chest and standup!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wooo hooo...congrats.
Post details and even pictures please?

-Your Fellow Freezer Hunter

Reactions: harrkim120

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I hope it is just what your looking for. People at my work think I'm nuts when I talk about my kids and what I feed them.:biggrin:

Reactions: harrkim120

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh believe me, I was definitely planning on making sure it works. That's the first thing that went through my mind. The last thing I need is to get my friend to help get it to my house, lug it up the narrow staircase, and plug it in just to find out it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

People at my work think I'm nuts when I talk about my kids and what I feed them.
Luckily because of working at a pet store, they don't so much think I'm crazy...it's more amazement I would say. lol But as for being all excited to get a freezer...they just thought that was weird. :rolleyes:

Wooo hooo...congrats.
Post details and even pictures please?
Here's the link to the ad:

Freezer chest

It's not so bad...the inside looks good, and the outside only seems to have minor damage. I emailed her at first and she said that her husband is a hunter and they've been using it to store the meat. Maybe I can get some rare meats while I'm there. :biggrin:

What kind/ size did you get? Somehow, we always seem to be out of space, even with our chest and standup!
The brand is Frigidaire. I'm not sure how many cubic feet it is, but the measurements are 41 1/2" wide x 34 1/4" high x 22" deep so it's definitely a good size.

That's amazing that you don't have enough room!!! Too many good sales I guess. :biggrin: With only having one dog that 25lbs, this freezer should be plenty.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't believe I fed 3 dogs on raw for 9 months with only the freezer in my fridge that I had to share with my roommates! For those who say it can't be done because of a lack of freezer space, I am proof! I love having my freezer though, it is SO much more convenient.
Oh and I almost forgot...you deserve quite a bit of credit for being able to pull that off. I only have one little guy and I'm struggling!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Looks like a good find to me! They don't have to be pretty, just functional! And you will be so much more at ease now with it.

The only issue with chest freezers is things tend to get buried at the bottom so make sure you have a good "layer" of variety on top of one another LOL since its no fun to go digging in an ice chest!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only issue with chest freezers is things tend to get buried at the bottom so make sure you have a good "layer" of variety on top of one another LOL since its no fun to go digging in an ice chest!
Haha...I know it!!! I was thinking the same thing. I would have loved to get an upright, but they're much harder to come by, and more expensive too. :frown:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
To be honest I actually kinda liked having the fridge/freezer combo so we could slowly thaw things out in the fridge part, but also have the freezer part for storage...you might actually look for one. Those are given up for free on CL on a regular basis and since you only have one mouth to feed, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle! We used to get by with just the fridge/freezer combo before we had our two big freezers...I honestly don't know how we survived LOL!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest I actually kinda liked having the fridge/freezer combo so we could slowly thaw things out in the fridge part, but also have the freezer part for storage...you might actually look for one. Those are given up for free on CL on a regular basis and since you only have one mouth to feed, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle! We used to get by with just the fridge/freezer combo before we had our two big freezers...I honestly don't know how we survived LOL!!!
I took a look after you suggested this, but couldn't find any for free or even any cheaper than the chest freezer I got actually. :confused:

You always have so much cool stuff on Craigslist where you live...I'm jealous!!! :cool:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so got the freezer I was talking about. :biggrin:

The inside is squeaky clean like stated before...the outside had a bit more rust than the picture leads you to believe, but nothing so bad that a coat of Rustoleum can't fix.

I also stopped off at Wally World and picked up a thermometer so that I can find the perfect number to set the dial to since the owners had no idea. lol What temperature do you guys keep yours at?

I did inquire about the "rare meat" as well. He hunts deer and hog. Unfortunately, he hasn't been in a while and had none left for me to buy. :frown:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yay congrats on your freezer! I keep my freezer at cold enough to freeze things temperature, whatever that may be :confused:

Boy I'm disorganized and don't know my freezer temperature, I'm not a very helpful person to go to for this stuff am i?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yay congrats on your freezer! I keep my freezer at cold enough to freeze things temperature, whatever that may be :confused:

Boy I'm disorganized and don't know my freezer temperature, I'm not a very helpful person to go to for this stuff am i?
:biggrin: That's ok. I'm not the most organized person either. Believe me, that's about all I'll know...just my freezer temp. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I also stopped off at Wally World and picked up a thermometer so that I can find the perfect number to set the dial to since the owners had no idea. lol What temperature do you guys keep yours at?

I'm with Rachel... we keep ours at.... umm... freezing temp :biggrin:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm with Rachel... we keep ours at.... umm... freezing temp :biggrin:

Haha...you guys are so awesome. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts