Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So happy and just had to share....

I found me some cheap tilapia...a 50lb box for $40. :biggrin:

And it's fresh...so fresh that it was caught in the local lakes this morning.

Yay!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you say the average price of whole tilapia is in your area?

I'm so excited about the good price that I don't even know how good it is. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts

I'm so excited about the good price that I don't even know how good it is. :rolleyes:
Average is like $2.70/lb here, but we've never paid that.
It's the one thing we watch VERY closely for sales in our area, we usually end up paying about $2/lb for it, but sometimes get it for $1.70.

I'm thinking about going out on lake mead tomorrow an seeing what i can catch. lol.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's great Harrkim! Jody hasn't had fish yet. That will probably be the fish I offer her but I haven't found it for under $2.50 a lb. yet.

The Tilipia I find at WalMart that is already in fillets...is it deboned?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Good job on the great find! I don't even look for fish specials here, pacific northwest is not great for good fish prices.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhh...the deliciousness of the fish has seeped all over my trunk. The box leaked during transport yesterday. Now my trunk and car smell like rotting fish. :frown:

proper equation:

bargain prices = smelly car

:tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ewww...that really sucks! Just make sure you line your trunk with plastic next time. Wow. The things you learn when raw feeding LOL!!! Good luck explaining that you do not plan on killing anyone :tongue:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Ohhhh yuck! I always throw meat in a big black trash bag when Jon and I go sale hunting, because often times the cheap stuff is also packaged very cheap, and when we're out all day looking for sales and running errands stuff starts to thaw.

Consider it a lesson learned, and in the meantime, I think you need some cleaner, and air freshner. haha, and I think you'll be driving with the windows down for a while!

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's usually $1.69/lbs and I've seen it in sale for $1.29/lbs. This quote is from a cheap store and I'm pretty sure this is not fresh from local lakes, but farm raised, previously frozen, and from 'who knows where'.
I think you got a great deal there :smile:

Yesterday I bough sardines from a Chinese store, frozen $1.69/lbs. For some reason I feel a bit better about sea fish right now (just started raw) and also the size feels better for my dog.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do we have a helpful hints somewhere...for instance..line your trunk with plastic before transporting meat!! ? I know a lot of us "newbies" would
appreciate it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do we have a helpful hints somewhere...for instance..line your trunk with plastic before transporting meat!! ? I know a lot of us "newbies" would
appreciate it.
Well, from now on I'm bringing some lawn and garden bags to bag the boxes before they go in my trunk. I KNEW that I should've done that this time, but I talked myself out of it. :rolleyes: GO ME!!!! :biggrin:

P.S. Spent 2 hours cutting up 12 fish last night...12 down, 24 to go. :frown: lol

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good luck explaining that you do not plan on killing anyone :tongue:
Haha...funny that you say that...when I was cleaning out my trunk yesterday it reminded me of the scene from Goodfellas where Ray Liotta was holding the rag over his mouth while hosing out his trunk. It looked like I was trying to get dead body smell out of my car. :tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts