Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't believe how fast Jax's teeth are cleaning up on this diet! I wish I'd taken a before picture of this pup's teeth. I don't know the names of his canine dentition, but the tiny pointed tooth (upper jaw) just behind his canine tooth was literally ALL brown and covered with tarter. With less than one week of raw feeding it's almost clear of the stuff.
Probably that was the easier portion to clean- the larger bits I would imagine come off easier than the smaller parts, but still what a great start. And he's always been a big 'chewer' of the nylabone in the past with didn't remove that part at all.

Here's a picture today and I'll update in a week. Hope it's clear!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yay! Yep that's one of the huge benefits of raw. One of my friends asked me if I had to take extra care of my dogs' teeth since they don't get the "benefits" of crunchy kibble every day. So I educated her :smile:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hah! Yeah my brother in law is a big believer in the old crusty hard tack style 'bone' biscuits.. (Forgot what they call those.) I keep telling him they'll clean his dogs teeth like pancakes will clean ours.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's one I can use as a before shot, since I neglected to get one of those little teeth.
These are his furthest back teeth that still have quite a bit of tarter on them. We'll see how long it takes to come clean.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Nice! You should continue to see improvement in his teeth. When there is quite a bit of tartar buildup from kibble it takes time to wear it down, but eventually it will be gone.

One of our dogs broke her upper carnassial tooth on the left side, so now that side has a bit of tartar buildup because she doesn't use that side of her mouth for chewing. But its still not bad enough to cause problems.

FYI-don't ever give your dog weight bearing bones...they can and WILL break teeth in half.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats good to know, thanks. We're only giving chicken now, with occasional fresh sardines or anchovies and beef liver. I've ordered green tripe, but don't tell my girlfriend- she's horrified at the idea. :tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thats good to know, thanks. We're only giving chicken now, with occasional fresh sardines or anchovies and beef liver. I've ordered green tripe, but don't tell my girlfriend- she's horrified at the idea. :tongue:
Well...it can give dogs gas. That's the only thing that gives ours bad gas really. I would suggest giving it in VERY small quantities just for that reason. Like a bite or two per serving
for your size of dog.

Also...our dogs showed almost
no interest in it at first. You might have to give it mixed sardines or something to make it more tasty.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heck, I don't think my girls bust wind at all anymore! :biggrin:

It's been so long since I've heard them toot and Casey's teeth are shining pretty nicely!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our dog is a very picky kibble eater, but he's a very un-picky eater when it comes to meat. He's taken to everything we've tried so far without a pause. Even the beef liver, which I thought I might have to trick him with at first, he swallowed a good chuck of with even setting it on the ground to investigate it first. I don't think I'll have to trick him with the tripe, but I'll go slow with it just in case it makes his stomach funky. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts