Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the top dog brands brands thread was pretty interesting. I am interested to hear what you guys/gals think some of the worst dog food brands are.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Ol' Roy
Kibbles N Bits
Pedigree
Hi-Pro
Alpo
Purina anything including Beneful except maybe Pro Plan Selects
Science Diet
Iams/Eukanuba
Bil Jac

Yeah, that oughta do it, but I'm sure I forgot some.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ol Roy
Purina (any Purina)
Science Diet (including RX diets)
Iams
Eukanuba
Pedigree
Kibbles N Bits
Royal Canin
Sport Mix
Mighty Dog
Alpo

Really anything that you can find at a grocery store or discount store (ie Wal-Mart, Target, etc), I think there's too many to remember and list LoL.

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow. And not that long ago I thought some of those were okay. I also think Nutro should be on there...I just switched away from that one about 3 months ago. Thanks to this site and an urge to educate myself after the early death of my last fuzzy family member (not that his food was the reason, but I'm sure it didn't help).

·
Registered
15 Posts
all of the above... :wink: like someone else mentioned.. anything sold at wal mart, etc. (in my opinion!) :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. And not that long ago I thought some of those were okay. I also think Nutro should be on there...I just switched away from that one about 3 months ago. Thanks to this site and an urge to educate myself after the early death of my last fuzzy family member (not that his food was the reason, but I'm sure it didn't help).
Yah, Nutro used to be one of the better ones but as they get popular, the more they market, and the more they market, the more chains carry them, the more that chains carry them, the higher the demand, and the higher the demand the higher the need to mass produce and lessen quality (of ingredients and production methods), and the larger the audience, the more likely they are to be influenced by ads/marketing and not be informed, so then it doesn't matter (to the company that now cares about bottom lines more than the pets' health).

Sadly, I think the above described is exactly the route Canidae is choosing to go in. I'm sure it won't be long before they are carried at the big box pet stores, followed by the retail / grocery chains. It seems like every food you end up liking, within a handful of years they grow to the point that they make decisions that harm the quality of the food and your pet. I can think of numerous brands that have done this. And it's rough not knowing who to trust because the changes get made without you knowing until after the fact.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just wish they didn't sell out. Its possible to be carried at the larger stores without altering the brand. I mean, look at Solid Gold and Wellness. They're carried in PetCo and they're still standing true to their name. It would be soo much more convenient if the larger stores carried the other ones in an Organic aisle or what not....

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just wish they didn't sell out. Its possible to be carried at the larger stores without altering the brand. I mean, look at Solid Gold and Wellness. They're carried in PetCo and they're still standing true to their name. It would be soo much more convenient if the larger stores carried the other ones in an Organic aisle or what not....

ITA Natural Balance is also a good food and is carried in PetCo. It's a shame when foods like Canidae have to cut corners just for profit and don't care what the consumer thinks. Very disheartening. Honestly, I used Canidae for a long time and after the response to my e-mail I will NEVER use them again even if they go back to their old formula and even though they now have a grain free formula. I'm just disgusted with the company as a whole.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just joined your forum today and wanted to say Hi!

many people don't realize how bad some of the dog foods out there are for their dogs. Walmart dog food is probably the worst...........just read the ingredient list:eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
. Hills (because it is sold by vets to people who take their word for it)
. Ol Roy because it is terrible
. Purina
. Iams because of all the marketing they do
.Canidae because they had a good food and they changed their formula

·
Registered
628 Posts
. Hills (because it is sold by vets to people who take their word for it)
. Ol Roy because it is terrible
. Purina
. Iams because of all the marketing they do
.Canidae because they had a good food and they changed their formula
However I would like to say that their new formula is not bad at all and is still worth the price and is a good food, unfortunately it isn't as good as their old formula and some may have a problem with it being made at a Diamond plant, but ingredient wise it isn't a bad food (although I am not fond of the company anymore either).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with all of the lists above. They are all not so good foods to feed your dogs and the list could go on and on! Did you know too that Petco, Petsmart, Hungry Hound and all other big chain pet stores along with grocery store chains, Target, Kmart and others will not carry a dog food that has a shelf life that is less than one year?? Can you imagine the preservatives it would take to keep a bag of dry dog food on the shelf for a whole year????

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree with all of the lists above. They are all not so good foods to feed your dogs and the list could go on and on! Did you know too that Petco, Petsmart, Hungry Hound and all other big chain pet stores along with grocery store chains, Target, Kmart and others will not carry a dog food that has a shelf life that is less than one year?? Can you imagine the preservatives it would take to keep a bag of dry dog food on the shelf for a whole year????

I do not know about the others, but this is not true of PetCo. I know for a fact that Natural Balance (since I feed it) has a shelf life of 3 months (at least that is what is printed on my bags) and I would imagine that Wellness is pretty close to the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Worst Dog Food Brands

I have a bag of Natural Balance recently purchased at Petco that has an expiration date of March 20, 2010. So there goes the 3 month theory.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
When I was using Wellness Core it used to frustrate me because it seemed like the bags always expired in a month and a half. It could've been I was just getting old bags, but it was like that every time. Only one of my dogs was eating it at the time and only got about 1 3/4 cups a day so it was hard to get through even a medium-sized bag before it expired. Good food though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with the list of ucky foods but I would like to say something that I think is very sad about Wellness Core.

I have used it in my rotation ever since it first came out......as soon as I heard that they sold out (company sold not long ago) & then they went mainstream........into the big box stores. That probably does it for me & Core.

Sadly, it seems that the bigger they get, the more they cut corners. Next thing you know, your dog is getting sick or has the runs......because they've changed ingredients. The more profits they make, it seems that they get ultra greedy & they want more so they start using cheaper ingredients.

Also, I refuse to buy any food in the big box stores after reading all the problems they have had with storing the food. So I'll stick with the little boutique pet food stores, thank you. They may cost a little more but I'll pay for safe food.:rolleyes:

Happy new year to all of you!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts