Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poodle pup has 4 or 5 meals of raw a week, the rest are kibble. (He eats 3 meals a day)

The raw is beef or chicken, he haven't had any problems and his tummy tolerates raw very well.

He is in this diet since 2 and half months ago :)

Now I want to add organs, wish one is the best to start? something like heart, gizzards? :confused:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Now I want to add organs, wish one is the best to start? something like heart, gizzards? :confused:
Actually, neither of those are organs in a nutritional sense. They are both muscle meat. The organ you want to begin with is liver. Start with VERY small, tiny, minute, itsy bitsy pieces and gradually make them larger. Other organs include kidney, lung and pancreas (sweet bread).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, neither of those are organs in a nutritional sense. They are both muscle meat. The organ you want to begin with is liver. Start with VERY small, tiny, minute, itsy bitsy pieces and gradually make them larger. Other organs include kidney, lung and pancreas (sweet bread).
Thanks for the help! :smile:

At the start is better if this organs are of beef or chicken? and how many times at week?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks for the help! :smile:

At the start is better if this organs are of beef or chicken? and how many times at week?
I don't think it makes much difference which animal they come from. Some people feed a very small amount every day, others a larger amount once a week, still others an even larger amount every other week. I would start with a very very small amount once a week to see how the dog handles it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
We started with Calve liver, and then Beef Kidney. We feed organs twice a week, one day they get liver, then a few days later they get kidney. We found this works the best. We always feed organ with a bone in meal.

Reactions: Sapphire-Light

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I can't wait to try it on my puppy. :smile:

I already noticed a big difference now with the raw meals, is hard to see it with the eyes since he is in show coat but by touching him he has developed good muscles on the chest and back legs.

And so his trot is mush better than before, and this is very good since he is a show prospect :smile:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we started with thumbnail sizes of chicken liver...and then graduated to beef...

we really took our time, though....

they get their liver every morning with their salmon oil gelcap....since we get up so early...

i just figured how much organ they should have per week and they get the approximate weight divided by seven....

it holds them until breakfast...and i feed it to them frozen...

don't tell them it's not a treat for their morning walk LOL -- they think it is....:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts