Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully going to be converting over to Raw soon. I have gotten a lot of questions answered in my intro thread, but thought id move some over here.
I was wondering if feeding wild animal meat is ok? (As opposed to farm raised meats) Is there anything you have to do to the meat before feeding it?

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you're going by the What-they-eat-in-the-wild theory, then they would pretty much be getting wild animals, with the occasional farm animal if they could sneak past the farmer. So I don't see why wild animals would be any different for a domestic dog. In fact, unless you're getting farmed meat from a farm that is fully grass-fed, free-range, organic, no hormones/antibiotics/other chemicals then wild would be the best option. And if you're feeding fish you definitely want wild rather than farmed. Farmed fish are full of horrible things

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ya can't get much better than wild game. It's the closest thing to feeding all natural as you can get. If there was one meat I could feed exclusively it would be venison.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I know it seemed like a silly question, but I believe I have read on other sites that if you feed wild game it needs to be frozen at a certain temp for a number of days to kill parasites, this is why I was asking. It kind of confused me because I thought the same too wild dogs eat wild animals in the wild lol So I figured Id ask anyway lol!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wild game such as deer, elk, etc. are grass fed - which means they are high in omega 3's and would be excellent!

I have heard to freeze for a couple weeks in case there are parasites.

You can also feed squirrel, woodchuck and rabbit as well as the wild birds such as turkey, pheasant, etc.

Many raw feeders draw the line at animals with pointy teeth like possums, coyotes, raccoons. Raccoons actually care a very nasty worm that is almost impossible to eradicate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know i am ahead of myself,since I havent even started raw yet lol but what parts of venison are the best to feed? I am thinking Hunting season is coming up soon and I can get a ton of free parts from all my family that hunt!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know i am ahead of myself,since I havent even started raw yet lol but what parts of venison are the best to feed? I am thinking Hunting season is coming up soon and I can get a ton of free parts from all my family that hunt!
ANY part of the deer that you can get. For sure the heart, liver, kidneys, tongue. (If the hunter will pack out the organs, many won't.) Of course all the meat is good. Some people let their dogs chew on the spine/neck/ribs.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
ok, I know it seemed like a silly question, but I believe I have read on other sites that if you feed wild game it needs to be frozen at a certain temp for a number of days to kill parasites, this is why I was asking. It kind of confused me because I thought the same too wild dogs eat wild animals in the wild lol So I figured Id ask anyway lol!
Some people worry about them, I don't. My dogs catch rabbits from time to time and eat them and have for 7 years with no problems. My cats catch and eat squirrels, chipmonks, vohls, & birds almost daily and haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
RFD, I believe that since your dogs have been on a raw diet for sooooooo long yes, they can handle things without any reaction, they have built up a wonderful immune system from the PMR diet but I'm not so sure dogs that would be newly switched could handle getting even a single parasite and not have a reaction to it.

Reactions: ubershann

·
Registered
216 Posts
The book I'm currently reading about raw food makes a very good point. Wolves and wild dogs die from things they eat too. Just feeding raw/wild meat does a lot for their health, but does not guarantee anything. As far as I've read and found, freezing does not kill parasites, but perhaps other sources out there say it does. It's hard to know for sure in an area that is lacking in scientific studies.

Honestly I would trust wild game more than farmed meats, but only because of the high amounts of chemicals, hormones, antibiotics, and other disgusting things they give to farm animals. And that's not even getting into the genetic engineering that goes on. So gross!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts