Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IDK WAT IM DOING WRONG. I STARTED SWITCHING 2-3 WEEKS AGO, AND IM GOING SLOW. TWO DAYS AGO I STARTED MIXING 50/50. but then i cut it back to 60/40(old/new)

i feed 2-2.5 cups a day. my dogs stools come out normal shape, then i poke it with a stick and it smears, its so gushy and soft. im getting frustrated here. i never checked his stools on regular canidae, but i assumed they were ok. i mean canidaes a decent food, so if dogs on purina are doing ok, hsi stools should be ok.

hes 75 pounds should i feed less????? this food is way to expensive for him not to be absorbing.

it has less calories than canidae, and i fed around 3 of canidae.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Couple things

1) Canidae's formula has changed, which I'm sure you have heard all about, and according to Canidae faithfuls, their dogs have not done well on the new formula.

2) If you fed junk dog food previously and for a long period of time, there is a chance that your dog has damage to its digestive tract. If the new kibble is a high meat source, they may not be able to handle (absorb) for some time until the tract heals itself.

3) Try a digestive enzyme like Prozyme or Omega Zyme from Garden of Life. Every kibble needs a whole foods supplement of some kind. Whole food supplements like Springtimes Longevity or Bio Preparation have digestive enzymes already in them. Also, if you treat fleas and ticks internally and naturally (not chemically), these too have digestive enzymes in them as well...like Springtimes Bug Off Garlic and Earth Animals Bug Off.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple things

1) Canidae's formula has changed, which I'm sure you have heard all about, and according to Canidae faithfuls, their dogs have not done well on the new formula.

2) If you fed junk dog food previously and for a long period of time, there is a chance that your dog has damage to its digestive tract. If the new kibble is a high meat source, they may not be able to handle (absorb) for some time until the tract heals itself.

3) Try a digestive enzyme like Prozyme or Omega Zyme from Garden of Life. Every kibble needs a whole foods supplement of some kind. Whole food supplements like Springtimes Longevity or Bio Preparation have digestive enzymes already in them. Also, if you treat fleas and ticks internally and naturally (not chemically), these too have digestive enzymes in them as well...like Springtimes Bug Off Garlic and Earth Animals Bug Off.
1-Ive been feeding canidae;'s ALS formulas for years, i jsut switched to canidae's GRAIN FREE ALS. i never had a problem with the formula switch back in 2008.

2-junk food is all opinion, but i was feeding canidae ALS, which i consider alright , but wanted to switch to GF.

3-i use vectra flea and tick preventive. dont know how you treat ticks naturally without chemicals?

thanks for the response.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Feed less quantity of food. Instead of feeding 2-2.5 cups, feed 1.5-2 cups per day split into two meals.

When switching foods, its good to go slow in the transition as well as the quantity.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wont he starve? he ate 3 cups of canidae a day and maintained healthy weight. canidae is more calorically dense than ther grain free one, hes 75 pounds.

·
Registered
939 Posts
wont he starve? he ate 3 cups of canidae a day and maintained healthy weight. canidae is more calorically dense than ther grain free one, hes 75 pounds.
He's not going to starve over the span of a week or two. He'll be fine.

It's possible that he might have just eaten something weird like a treat or a dead animal. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You can treat fleas and ticks naturally with products found in petsmart marked as natural or order them online, for example Sentry Natural Defense Natural Flea & Tick Squeeze-On for Dogs & Puppies - Flea & Tick - Dog - PetSmart

try cutting him back and see how he does with it. If his stools look the same as they did on Canidae ALS, but you never checked his other stools consistently, maybe they haven't really changed and you're just now noticing that they weren't that firm before. You also have to keep in mind that he's transitioning right now, which means his digestive system is still figuring out how to process the new food, so that could also lead to looser stools.

I know of several people whose dogs have had looser stools when in the transition process that firmed up once their dogs were fully onto the new food within a week or so.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's not going to starve over the span of a week or two. He'll be fine.

It's possible that he might have just eaten something weird like a treat or a dead animal. :biggrin:
i guess he really does want to go raw lol!:tongue:
You can treat fleas and ticks naturally with products found in petsmart marked as natural or order them online, for example Sentry Natural Defense Natural Flea & Tick Squeeze-On for Dogs & Puppies - Flea & Tick - Dog - PetSmart

try cutting him back and see how he does with it. If his stools look the same as they did on Canidae ALS, but you never checked his other stools consistently, maybe they haven't really changed and you're just now noticing that they weren't that firm before. You also have to keep in mind that he's transitioning right now, which means his digestive system is still figuring out how to process the new food, so that could also lead to looser stools.

I know of several people whose dogs have had looser stools when in the transition process that firmed up once their dogs were fully onto the new food within a week or so.
damn ive been using the stuff from the vet that you pur on his skin,to keep fleas away, salty dog told me that fda is banning those soon?????
and yeah i agree with you. i meant what you are saying, that maybe his stools werent perfect on canidae either. idk, but today i reduced the food. i couldn't bring myself to drop to 1.5 cups for a dog his size. i gave just under 2 cups,and im not giving more for a weeks time.
i gave 1 cup of the old, and .8 or .9 cups of the new..just an estimate.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
IDK WAT IM DOING WRONG. I STARTED SWITCHING 2-3 WEEKS AGO, AND IM GOING SLOW. TWO DAYS AGO I STARTED MIXING 50/50. but then i cut it back to 60/40(old/new)

i feed 2-2.5 cups a day. my dogs stools come out normal shape, then i poke it with a stick and it smears, its so gushy and soft. im getting frustrated here. i never checked his stools on regular canidae, but i assumed they were ok. i mean canidaes a decent food, so if dogs on purina are doing ok, hsi stools should be ok.

hes 75 pounds should i feed less????? this food is way to expensive for him not to be absorbing.

it has less calories than canidae, and i fed around 3 of canidae.

That seems like a lot of food to me. You have to feed less on a grain free diet. I used to give Aspen 3 cups a day on EVO and he did perfectly well. And he's 115 lbs. I would go with danemama's advice. 1.5 to 2 cups a day in two meals.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Agree with MALL.

My biggest is about 60lbs. and he holds weight at about 1.5 cups per day...(2/3 twice per day...thats 1.5 cups, right? ;)

RC, you've got to understand, EVO is super duper rich and a perfect food...lots different than that Canidae stuff :wink:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yep, sounds like too much, too rich.
Cut him back a bit and see if things firm up, like everyone advises.

Make sure people aren't giving him treats as well.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree with MALL.

My biggest is about 60lbs. and he holds weight at about 1.5 cups per day...(2/3 twice per day...thats 1.5 cups, right? ;)

RC, you've got to understand, EVO is super duper rich and a perfect food...lots different than that Canidae stuff :wink:
i still feed canidae grain free right now, but i cut back down to 2 cups, although i free feed so i put it in at the beginning of the day, and he eats it when he pleases(usually half at the morning and half at night)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i still feed canidae grain free right now, but i cut back down to 2 cups, although i free feed so i put it in at the beginning of the day, and he eats it when he pleases(usually half at the morning and half at night)
I was just funnin' ya, RC.

Get Canidae out of that Diamond plant and I'll consider putting them back on my radar :wink:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah,that is why im gonna rotate to evo after doing canidae for a few cycles. natura is a good company, who i dont have any issues with. i just cant decide if i want to get the herring or the turkey.

and i doubt my store has samples.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Grain free = rich food no matter what brand it is.

Feed less than 2 cups of food and your dog will most likely have better formed stool. Also, you might want to get him on a feeding schedule so you know EXACTLY how much he is getting each day. He will not starve. He will only starve if you don't feed him at all.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
agree w/ Natalie...

and one point I continue to see more and more....I do NOT believe in the transitional tables the food companies put out...typically a one week transition. As always, it depends on the dogs...but 2 of my 3 have to go REAL slow-I mean a 2-3 week transition minimum. I just moved Harry to Acana off EVO and moved a bit too fast and the poor guy had such bad gas this morning that I felt horrible. Hard to believe as EVO is a stronger, richer food...you wouldn't think it would be hard on his system...kind of weird. But it underlined the fact that you've got to go real slow w/ the moves.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grain free = rich food no matter what brand it is.

Feed less than 2 cups of food and your dog will most likely have better formed stool. Also, you might want to get him on a feeding schedule so you know EXACTLY how much he is getting each day. He will not starve. He will only starve if you don't feed him at all.
well i think i will see how he does on 2 for now, and lower it acordingly, his stools seem a little better.
agree w/ Natalie...

and one point I continue to see more and more....I do NOT believe in the transitional tables the food companies put out...typically a one week transition. As always, it depends on the dogs...but 2 of my 3 have to go REAL slow-I mean a 2-3 week transition minimum. I just moved Harry to Acana off EVO and moved a bit too fast and the poor guy had such bad gas this morning that I felt horrible. Hard to believe as EVO is a stronger, richer food...you wouldn't think it would be hard on his system...kind of weird. But it underlined the fact that you've got to go real slow w/ the moves.
ive been at this for 2-3 weeks, and im gonna make it atleast a 1 month transition cause i still got a lot of old food left. im starting to raise the percentage of new food starting thursday. Thursday im doing 1.5 cups new and .5 cups old, and i will keep him on this for 2-3 weeks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts