Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you feed kibble, and are offended at the fact that I think it makes absolutely no sense, please.... just close this thread now, and be on your merry way. If you can appreciate some logical, sound thinking... read on.

Variety is key- in ANY kind of diet. We all know this. It's common sense. One food, day in and day out, over the course of time- no good for anyone. Processed or not.

When a raw fed dog eats chicken, it looks something like this:

When a kibble fed dog eats chicken, it's something like this:

When a raw fed dog gets beef, their meal might look like:

Oh, yay! Kibble fed dog is done with chicken! Time to rotate in BEEF!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
*rolls around laughing my butt off!*

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dogs love fish. When a raw fed dog eats fish, they might get something like:

Alright! Kibble dog is done with chicken AND beef! Lucky dog! Time for Fish!!

Lamb time, for raw dog!

This kibble fed dog has a sensitive tummy, and my vet convinced me that he's allergic to chicken, so now he has to have all lamb. You can see how different it is from all the "other" kibbles.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmm, Duck. Raw dog loves duck. The bones are so easy to nom nom nom. Kinda like chicken bones. But better. Mmmmm, duck!

Kibble dog also loves duck. Hoorahhh for variety!

Wow! Mom found a hunter that needed to clean out his freezer of last year's kills! I get RABBIT! I are happy raw dog.

Woo hoo, sale at the dog food store! Dad sprung for rabbit! And I almost thought he was a cheap ol' sucker. Only $70 a bag for rabbit. mmm.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mmm, raw dog loves venison. So... gamey!

Kibble dog likes how.... crunchy... venison is. mmm.

Alright, alright. I'll be done.
I just think it irks me that people are like: "You feed WHAT?! raw meat?! that's so weird! Haven't you heard of DOG FOOD!?"
Yeah, buddy, I'M the weird one.
have you even SEEN what your dog eats.

Merry Christmas everyone, kibble fed dogs and all.

**I'm sure SOMEONE will take offense to this. Wouldn't be DFC if they didn't.:biggrin: Take it in all good fun, folks.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been looking for inspiration for a blog post....I think I just found it. Do you mind if I use your content and give you the credit??? Awesomeness :biggrin:
You can use anything I ever post on DFC or elsewhere.
Always willing to spread the word on RAW, and how much sense it makes for our carnivores. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
LOVE IT!!!

Variety.....the spice of life!!! :)

Reactions: CorgiPaws

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Totally. Awesome. Post. :biggrin::biggrin:
I loved it....and it is so true! Methinks if I were a dog, I'd want to be a raw fed dog!!!!!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Nice post and in my view, a very relevant point.
I must admit that when I fed kibble, I would switch the brands and proteins at every meal. Part of the reason was that I would always think gosh, how boring to have the same food day in and day out - even though my vet told me that dogs don't care about that sort of thing. Maybe he's right and I am humanising them to a certain point, but now it makes my heart happy to see my pup sniffing the air and checking out what meat she's getting for dinner each night.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Part of the reason was that I would always think gosh, how boring to have the same food day in and day out - even though my vet told me that dogs don't care about that sort of thing. Maybe he's right and I am humanising them to a certain point, but now it makes my heart happy to see my pup sniffing the air and checking out what meat she's getting for dinner each night.
I used to do the same thing--switching kibble for variety. Frankly my dog seemed to think it all smelled the same. :rolleyes:

Hard to believe dogs don't care about their food. When I see Bailey leaping all over the place and her whiskers quivering when we haul out the chicken back or leg quarter, it's obvious she cares about what she's eating and gets soooo excited to have fresh, raw food. She doesn't even sniff in the pantry anymore where the "doomnuggets" were stored. With those impressive smelling abilities, a dog's gotta love raw more than anything else. :biggrin:

It does make one's heart happy to see those happy air sniffs and total focus on chomping their meal.

Great post--pictures do say a thousand words!

Amy J-K
&
Bailey T. Dog

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've so far helped about 7 people I know personally switch to raw (one or two more who i just told about randomly in a grocery store and they e-mailed me months later to thank me), and two more who are going to switch very soon. For some people, it's like a light goes on in their head and it just clicks. Others take a lot of time or I don't even bother. I'm going to try to get my friend who is a Nutro rep to switch her lab to raw because she is now broke and having a hard time affording Nutro ($30/15 lbs bag) for her pup who is shedding like crazy anyway.

I did the math and it would cost her maybe $25/month to feed her lab raw, heck I'll help her out with that cost if she wants, that's a great cause IMHO!

However, she has always been a very hard person to sell on raw. She gave her last dog some raw when it was dying from a brain tumor, but immediately went back to kibble after that dog passed away :frown: but she just said that she would keep an open mind about it and maybe try it out after she runs out of kibble so yay!

Maybe it will make sense to her too after she does it for a month and realizes how much more natural it is!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How come the moderators here can bad mouth kibble, but when i ask for all this scientific proof to back up your so called facts my posts are taken down. Why?????? Because there isn't any!!!!
If you would like to make a post in the kibble section about why kibble makes so much sense, and raw is silly- go for it. No one will take it down, as long as you keep it in a light hearted manner, and don't get nasty.
That's where you have a difficult time: the not getting nasty part.

I'm not sure which thread of yours got taken down, but threads are only removed if someone breaks actual rules, generally spam type posts, or blatant attacks on other members. The science is in nature, and what we see every day. Sorry. Prey Model Raw is not an industry, though I suspect it will be someday, so there aren't corporations like Hills and Purna to fund studies to back it up. You have those big industries on your dside to dish out the funds.
All I know, is WHOLE foods are better than PROCESSED for any creature. Human, or otherwise. Taking chicken, and feeding it in its natural form will maintain the integrity of the nutrients more than processing into something else.
High quality kibbles are often times referred to as "fast food" nutrients for dogs. I feel this is a tad bit inaccurate. However, I feel an appropriate example is a fresh chicken breast, and a breaded chicken nugget in the freezer aisle. Both start with a chicken breast. One is left to maintain its dignity, and one has "extras" thrown in that while not necessarily harmful (that's a matter of opinion!) also aren't needed at all. Add a few preservatives, and you have yourself a processed chicken nugget! Tasty little breaded suckers, but we'd all probably be better off sitting down to a whole chicken breast.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
How come the moderators here can bad mouth kibble, but when i ask for all this scientific proof to back up your so called facts my posts are taken down. Why?????? Because there isn't any!!!!
I don't have a clue what you are upset about. I just checked. All the posts deleted in the last month were for spam and none of them were yours. 3/4ths of those posts were deleted by anti-spam software before they even became visible to the public. If you lost a post, its just lost but it's not deleted. Maybe its off in another thread somewhere.

To answer your question, neither is there any scientific proof that kibble diets are anywhere close to as nutritious as a raw diet, so it works both ways. Raw has been around a million years, kibble about 50 or 60. WHICH should have to prove itself? Why don't you ask kibble companies to prove the value of their "food".? They haven't. It's never been done. All they have proven is that 6 of 8 dogs can survive for 6 months on their food. Thats it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts