Dog Food Chat banner

Why not?

28K views 187 replies 30 participants last post by  CorgiPaws 
I have no qualms with feeding raw. My dogs constantly get raw snacks from when I'm cooking or leftovers. At this point, the raw is too expensive (I still haven't found one of thos butcher shops that let you buy bulk directly from them). Once I do, I fully intend on switching and am apart of this site purely for that information once I finally have the resources to do so. Kibble at this point is just cheaper.

The Honest Kitchen product you feed does not have one single solitary ingredient that your dog need. Dogs are carnivores and have no need for plant products. Mine have not eaten any plant material in almost 7 years. They eat ONLY meat, bones, and organs. Nothing else.
My dogs LOVE fresh carrots, broccoli, green beans, apples, etc.

What is so horrible about giving a dog something she/he likes? Fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. I'm not saying I'm going to turn my dog into a vegetarian but along with a healthy meat diet?? I see nothing wrong with it. My dogs love it, my mom's dogs love it, and none of them have ever had any health issues because of it so what does make it such a horrible thing to feed your dog some fruits and veggies?

That was my point. There's nothing wrong with it. Like I said, My dogs aren't going vegan but I do give it to them because they love it. As for nutritional value, I believe we all have our own opinions and nutritional facts to review.

I'm pretty sure that no one here has said vets are experts in nutrition or that there are no studies behind raw. This is a controversial thread on why or why not we feed our dogs raw. We have our differences of opinions. You think you're right, they think they're right. Does it really matter? I've seen dogs live healthy lives to age 15 and beyond so what does it matter what the heck these dogs are eating? With the right care, an animal could probably live to be friggin 30. Doesn't mean I'm switching to raw or staying with kibble or mixing and matching.

Ok my own question: Am I going to switch my pups to raw immediately or do I change her over to raw just like I would if I were changing kibble to kibble? I'm pretty sure my Mom asked this question when she was asking about raw but that was long ago and I don't feel like thumbing through the threads to try and find it LOL Thanks! (As for Vets, mine's pretty idiotic on nutrition too. He wanted me to switch to Dads or Purina...No thanks)

Holy cow, dream come true, that easy!?? That's amazing! Now, as for the list of what and when I should feed for certain raw meats, is that how I have to start? Chicken backs first, quarters next, etc?

Thats amazing! Now all I need is a mini freezer and I can start! Maybe i'll buy weekly for the time being just to get her started all that much quicker. As for Duckie, can he eat all that righ tnow? He's only 3 months old. Is there a different sort of raw diet he should be on?

Yes Duckie can eat raw food right now. I don't remember what breed he is but if he's pretty small, it might be best to start him on chicken wings instead of backs. I started my Thor the day I brought him home when he was 12 weeks old but he was 26lbs and started off with backs with no problem. He was eating quarters when he was 13 weeks old. You will just have to size the animal parts to match the dog. With some good kitchen shears you may be able to cut backs in half.
Duckie's a Jack Russell/Beagle mix and so he's small. I'm hoping to find an ethnic market around here or something similar. I can't wait to switch! I bet my puppies will love me for it. I don't know if it's because of winter or what, but just this last week every animal in this house has dandruff. I haven't changed their diet either. Hopefully that'll end quite quickly too once I make the change to raw.

How would I go about even keeping my kids away from something like that? All I can picture is the dog laying there, my nosey 2 year old trying to pick up that nasty raw meat from China's mouth and BAM, bitten kid. Obviously it's common sense to watch your kids and your dogs but it's not always possible to know what every kid and dog is doing in the house at all times, probably why shoes still get chewed up or my kid spits his juice on my carpet.

LOL I would but my garage is detached the bathroom is UBER small because the other one is under construction. What if I just break all the meat up so they odn't have to chew on anything but the bone after?

My laundry room doesn't exist at the moment it's just a washer and dryer in the kitchen...LOL No they don't stick their hands in but seeing fresh meat like that, my son might try cuz he's just so nosey like that. They know with bones to "leave it" though. HAH like dogs!

She's not a resource guarder by any means. But, we feed her kibble. The kids are always around and she eats right in the dining room with everyone else. It's the raw yummy smelling meat I'm afraid she might get aggressive about. But there's no sense in stressing it if I'm just going to make sure the kids listen to me instead of the dog listening. It's her food, she can have it. As long as the kids listen to Mumma, then I won't have anything to worry about.

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. Has your dog given any indication that he will do anything like that?
No she never has with anyone except Duckie, which is why I feed them separately.

It IS always possible to know what is going on around the dogs while they are eating. It's only a few minutes twice a day.
That leads me to another question. If she gets 1lb a day for her ideal weight (50lbs), do I feed her 1/2 lb, twice a day? And with Duckie his ideal weight is about 15-20lbs, so would I feed him 1/4lb twice a day?

No thanks, but thanks. I'm not crate training my dogs. They have full run of the house and they love it. I'll just feed the dogs where they always eat and make the kids listen. =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.