Dog Food Chat banner

Why not?

28K views 187 replies 30 participants last post by  CorgiPaws 
I like the Honest Kitchen product. Do those that feed "raw diets" consider this a good product or is it inferior to what die-hard raw suppoters advocate? I've done everything from Pedigree to Orijen to Honest Kitchen to breed specific home cooked diets. (and my Pedigree fed German shepherd dog lived to be over 13 years old and was healthy her entire life). I am willing to try a "raw diet" but some promoters have made it so complicated I would need a check list to make sure everything was in balance. I have a hard time puttng the "right" stuff on my plate. lol

Ok, I am slowly gaining an appreciation of raw feeding so bare with me. You guys are only feeding muscle meat, bones, and organs, correct? And you dogs are big, strong, and healthy without any additional food groups. And you feed a large dog (say 80 lbs.) about 2 lbs. of meat/organ/bone/ per day. So in other words, throw them some raw chicken wings or a leg or two and some organs on occasion, make sure they have some bones to chew and rotate between chicken, beef, pork, etc.

So it's that simple? What about all these other "raw" diets that require a culinary degree to prepare? Next someone will be preaching food presentation for raw fed dogs! ROFLMAO

Now we are getting down to the basics! Ok, bigger pieces for bigger dogs - backs and quarters and necks? Maybe 3-4 times per week. Then what? Just boneless meat chunks the other 3 or 4 days? Organs 1 or two times a week? Hearts, gizzards, brains, lamb fries, mountain oysters, and that nasty thing called liver? From cow and/or chicken, lamb, goat, oxen, brontosaurus etc.:confused:

Of course i will do my best Julia Child when throwing a bloody heart to my salivating pack! roflmao "You .... take the haot and slowly .... slowly ripped it apot ... and wash it down with a little red wine ....."

Well you see it's like this, my mammy said I was a bit touched in da head at birff so I jest sayz wots on my mind. RFD realizin that if I am going to understand sumptin it got to be real real simple. rofl.

Of course, I got 3 big ol dawgs that keep me tinking bout wot day gonna at next. I wuz tinking bout "visiting" my neighbors hen house late one nite and start my raw prey diet! Corse he a preacher and dat just wouldn't be rite.

And as far as ol Julia, God rest her soul, well that big woman could make anything sould like it was good to eat.

I have German shepherds - large, over-the-standard German shepherds which in some circles makes me a horrible, disrepectable, greedy, byb, puppy mill SOB. :smile: Even though my bloodlines go back 6 generations and we breed first and formost for health and temperament. :tongue: If you would like to see my dogs, just pm me. I'll give you a link. :cool:

I am currently feeding the following:

Max - male GSD 95 lbs. 2 cups Kirkland Signiture Lamb and Rice plus 1 cup Abady Maint. & Stress w/ probotics and salmon oil

Bella - female GSD 82 lbs. same as above

Sugar - female GSD 1 year old 80 lbs. She gets a home cooked diet of hamburger, ground chicken, cabbage, squash, broccoli, carrots, whole wheat bread crumbs, cheese and quick oats plus 1 cup of Abady Maint. & Stress w/ probotics and salmon oil. Sugar had major intestinal surgery at 4 months and had a foot of her small intestine removed. It took months to find a food that didn't "run" right through her.

In the past, all of the dogs were eating Orijen Adult but I have to have it shipped to me and freight is driving the price way up. They also had Honest Kitchen but grew tired of it.

All are fed in the morning and night. The above amounts are total therefore, 1/2 at each feeding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.