Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, recently I have been extremely interested in dog food. I am always reading ingredients and doing research on the ingredients and what they do. I am looking forward to learning from this site! I was wondering, is there a guide on here that has a list of ingredients both good and bad, and what purpose they serve?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thread! I have been reading through it for the last ten minutes or so. I have been trying to decide what to feed my dogs. They are on Solid Gold Wolf King right now and they seem to really like it. I have two Labradoodle-Husky mixes that are a little over a year old and about 60-70lbs. I like to look at all the ingredients on the dog foods at petstores, but I really don't know what all of them are for.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Here is my lists and yes I realize I most likely missed some good ones and I know I missed a lot of bad ones. Not in any order but I do feed Orijen, Taste of the Wild (my GS, loves duck) and California Natural lamb.

Good

Artemis
Blue Wilderness
Go
Horizon
Evo
Innova
Instrinct
Orijen
Taste of the Wild
Wellness
Acana
Fromm
Merrick
Canidae
Evanders
Earthborn
Natrures Logic
Natures Variety
Solid Gold
Pinnacle
Timberwolf
Blue Buffalo
Halo
Natural Balance
California Natural

Awful and I would never feed my dogs any of these!!!

Really BAD

Anything Purnia
Anything Royal Canin
Anything Old Roy
Anythind Abady
Anything Beneful
Anything Science Diet or Hills
Anything lams
Bil Jack
Cesar Milan
Eukanuba
Exclusive
PEDIGREE
Advance
Alpo
Arion
Beta
Friskies
Anything from Wal mart

Bad stuff
BHT
Soy
wheat
Sorghum
Dye
Ethoxyquin
BHA
BHT
Propylene Glycol
Artificial Colors
Gluten
Corn
Powdered Cellulose
Peanut Hulls
Lard
Pork fat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work for a major petstore chain (I'm not saying which >_>) but I want to learn about the food so that I can help people better, and I figure this is a good place to do it!

·
Banned
539 Posts
I work for a major petstore chain (I'm not saying which >_>) but I want to learn about the food so that I can help people better, and I figure this is a good place to do it!
Please see my list, the biggest issues I see are wheat and corn it always seems to be in bad dog foods. Everything on that list are bad. Some people hate to see Beet pulp and Tomato Pomaice(sp). But I don't have a problem with them if they are down the list a ways. I know petco carries Wellness and that is the only brand I now of thats any good at either of these chains. I just saw petsmart carries Blue Buffalo Wilderness and that is a very good dog food also. Avoderm is also a decent dog food.
Todd posted this awhile back and I put it into my fav's this should really help you in learning about dog food.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I know a girl who works at a pet food store Petco to be exact and she is looking for food at the mom and pop stores haha! Our petco has wellness core but only in the small bags so that is a dissapointment! I know your not saying where you work, so the petco is just the place this girl I talk with happens to be!
Have fun here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts