Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I did some research a while back and here is a little of what I found:

Liver
In this one product is a vast range of important nutrition. Liver is the most concentrated source of vitamin A and should be fed in small amounts on a regular basis. It also contains vitamins D, E, and K in substantial quantities. Liver is an excellent source of the minerals zinc, manganese, selenium and iron. It also contains all the B vitamins, particularly B2, B3, B5, biotin, folacin, B12, choline, and inositol. It contains B1 in adequate or smaller amounts and is a good source of vitamin C. Liver provides a source of good quality protein and the essential fatty acids, both the omega-3 and omega-6 type.

Kidneys
Not unlike liver, kidney supplies good quality protein, essential fatty acids and many vitamins including all the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Kidneys are a rich source of iron and all the B vitamins. They also have good levels of zinc.

So even if your dog is having a harder time adjusting with organs, they are still a good idea to give, otherwise you'd have to supplement with tons of vitamins etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I feed mostly beef kidney because I'm a bit concerned about the abundance of vitamin A in liver but I'm just being a drama king.

Reactions: Cliffdog

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I was just wondering, I always see that you should feed 5% liver and 5% other organs. Why is that? Why not 10% liver? Why not no liver at all?
5% or 10% are not big deals. They are arbitrary numbers someone came up with 8 or 9 years ago. It is more perpetuated on the yahoo rawfeeding list than anywhere else. It's an attempt to mimic the exact ratio of meats, bones and organs in an animal's body. Nutritionally, its important to feed liver for reasons already listed. However its not critical whether you feed 5% or 10% or 15% or 20%. I have a feeling if you feed 20% or even 15% the dog will get a good case of cannon butt but that is the limiting factor.

I always say feed mostly meat, some bones and some organs. Exact ratio's don't matter. If you feed too much bone, powder poop is the result. Too much liver, it's cannon butt. So, getting too much of either is pretty difficult.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Liver is probably the most accessible of all organ meat that we can buy, and probably the one that has the least ugh factor!!!!

It is also the organ which has the largest number of functions so it has the highest diversity of nutrients.

I believe in Lonsdale's book he mentions that it is theoretically possible to over-feed liver and have a vit A excess in your dog. Which would explain why people mention only that specific organ as overfeeding could have issues.
Personally I agree with RFD that over-feeding liver will result in something far more immediate than vit A overload :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
yes "cannon butt" :ban:
My dog did get this from too much liver..lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts