Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read soo much on so many things these past few days while ive been learning about the raw food diet for my dogs, and i guess im just looking for everyone's opinion on feeding raw eggs? ive read how the whites can interfere with absorption but as long as you feed the hole egg not to worry much about that. how often do you feed them? i have an abundance of fresh free range eggs that id be happy to utilize towards my dog food. Also when those certain days come where your feeding only meats without bones is it necessary to throw the egg shell in for calcium for that day? do you always need to supply calcium at every feeding weather its bone in meat or egg shell along with your meat? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
443 Posts
Honestly we feed bone every day otherwise our pup's digestive tract get all messed up (diarrhea). We've found unless we feed a really bone heavy meal eggs give her diarrhea too. As long as you approximately average 10% bone over the week, the shells for calcium aren't necessary. The shells don't really get digested unless they are ground up so people usually don't feed them.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I have read soo much on so many things these past few days while ive been learning about the raw food diet for my dogs, and i guess im just looking for everyone's opinion on feeding raw eggs? ive read how the whites can interfere with absorption but as long as you feed the hole egg not to worry much about that. how often do you feed them? i have an abundance of fresh free range eggs that id be happy to utilize towards my dog food. Also when those certain days come where your feeding only meats without bones is it necessary to throw the egg shell in for calcium for that day? do you always need to supply calcium at every feeding weather its bone in meat or egg shell along with your meat? Thanks in advance
Raw eggs are fine, as long as they are free range like what it sounds like you have. They are good for the omega 3's, and if commercial eggs they would be lacking that. Fed a couple a times a week would be ok. Feeding fish oil, to me is a better source of omegas.

On boneless days, you don't have to supply calcium. A raw diet supplies all nutrients over time through variety. Not at each meal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I feed (approx) 10% bone (mostly chicken) with every daily meal. Same with organs (10% daily).

While not a "necessary" condition nutritionally, I find my dog never suffers the sort of GI issues (constipation or diarrhea) that can arise from feeding too much (or too little) bone, so I'm sticking with what works.

As to eggs, I feed the shells with the eggs. If it is an occasional egg, I'll give it whole (raw) in the bowl with a meal. If it is a more regular item (like daily) I will fry the egg in coconut oil until the whites are just set. There is some controversy about the degree to which uncoagulated raw egg whites bind up diatary Biotin, so I err on the side of caution during heavy egg phases.

I don't attempt to replace bone with egg shells as the calcium source.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts