Dog Food Chat banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always added in a spoon full or two of canned with my dogs kibble. They love it and I feel like it adds some variety and moisture.

What about adding in Honest Kitchen to their kibble? I would get a box, but then only mix 1/2 to 1/4 cup at a time to divide up and mix with my two dogs kibble....What do you think? Would that be something that would work?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
When Aspen was on kibble, I would mix in Acana or Orijen with his EVO. He did fine...
Acana and Orijen don't make canned foods...:confused:

That being said, I don't think that it's that much better, in fact, some of the formulas of HK are total junk... sooo... I'd say save your money and stick with canned.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ditto...stick to the cans.

Honest Kitchen is crazy over priced for what you get. You might as well get some dried soup mix. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I agree with everyone else.

I give mine grain free canned with their grain free kibble. I wouldn't see any point in adding the Honest Kitchen if you were already adding the canned. It is already giving them the extra meat.

·
Registered
474 Posts

That being said, I don't think that it's that much better, in fact, some of the formulas of HK are total junk... sooo... I'd say save your money and stick with canned.
Please elaborate on your "total junk" comment. It's true that their products contain vegetables, fruits, etc. But to label it as "total junk" is a rather bold and strong statement. Do you honestly think canned is a better option??? I would sat you are misinformed.

I can see plenty of usefulness with this product - as a supplement to raw meaty bones; to use when boarding, traveling; and to feed if you run out of rmbs. It is a dehydrated RAW product without all the crap that is included in canned.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Please elaborate on your "total junk" comment. It's true that their products contain vegetables, fruits, etc. But to label it as "total junk" is a rather bold and strong statement. Do you honestly think canned is a better option??? I would sat you are misinformed.
I wouldn't call the ingredients "junk" per se. Most of the ingredients are pretty high-quality and they don't have a lot of the "junk" fillers like corn and wheat, but they seem to be rather low in meat content, especially considering the price.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I wouldn't call the ingredients "junk" per se. Most of the ingredients are pretty high-quality and they don't have a lot of the "junk" fillers like corn and wheat, but they seem to be rather low in meat content, especially considering the price.
I understand that their meat content may be lower then some, but the company has printed on every box that additional meat may be added. If you are worried about the cost of HK, you can add more less costly meat and use less HK.

I do not find the cost of the product any more expensive than premium kibble. A 10 pound box of Embark will make 43 pounds of food. If you are paying $80 for a 10 pound box then your cost per pound is $1.86 per pound.

For those who feed strictly a RMB diet, this information is useless. For those who want something more than raw meaty bones, organs, and muscle meat, then HK has a healthy, viable and affordable role in this kind of diet.

I would prefer and recommend HK's dehydrated natural ingredients over processed canned food any day.

They even have a grain-free and a gluten free product.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the info.
I currently feed Lucky a grain free kibble and then add a little grain free canned with a different meat source than the kibble. She seems to be doing wonderful and can hardly wait to eat!

Just looking for something different, more variety.

I will keep all your comments in mind. Thanks! :smile:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts

agreed hoenst kitchen is garbage for the rich man!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Ditto...stick to the cans.

Honest Kitchen is crazy over priced for what you get. You might as well get some dried soup mix. :biggrin:
lol.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also disagree that Honest Kitchen is junk. It is in raw dehydrated form. It has a single meat source, so you can't say it's low....you can say, you don't know. Check the calories though. They hover in the high 400's to low 500's per cup.

When you price it out correctly, it costs no more than ultra premium kibble.

All canned food is, is wet processed food as opposed to dry kibble processed food. It's just more processed food. Just because it is wet in a can doesn't make it digest any easier or faster.

I do have a question for raw feeders. I know some of you are able to get meats rather inexpensively. What are you getting for meat and how do you calculate the caloric and fat intake for your dog? The reason I haven't gone to the "create your own" raw diet is for those two reasons and would like help so that maybe I can switch to the method.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
they sy to add meat to it. its a low meat source eric.

·
Registered
329 Posts
they sy to add meat to it. its a low meat source eric.

They say you CAN add meat to it, and when you do, you must account for that meat and subtract out the ratio of HK. Aside from Preference, all Honest Kitchen formulas are balanced.

Sorry RC, Honest Kitchen is dehydrated raw, unprocessed and high in calories, low in carbs. It beats kibble all day long. (and yes, I still feed Orijen and Evo)

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
i stil lwould rather feed regional red..just a preference.

even if honest kitchen had a ton of meat i think its mentally unhealthy for a dog to slurp their food also.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I do have a question for raw feeders. I know some of you are able to get meats rather inexpensively. What are you getting for meat and how do you calculate the caloric and fat intake for your dog? The reason I haven't gone to the "create your own" raw diet is for those two reasons and would like help so that maybe I can switch to the method.
We do not go by calories or fat, we feed based on weight. Most adult dogs do well on 2-3% of their body weight per day. Unlike herbivores and omnivores which require a certain QUALITY of forage/nutrients, carnivores just need to get enough QUANTITY. Start at 2-3% of their ideal weight and adjust up or down if needed based on body condition.
Most feed chicken as the basis of their dogs' diet because it is readily available and cheap. Variety is added as much as possible. Since I do not have a freezer to stock pile bulk orders I buy everything from the grocery store.

If you still wish to calculate calories (though unnecessary) you can just google "raw chicken nutrition" and find data in a human nutrition calculator online.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We do not go by calories or fat we feed based on weight. Most adult dogs do well on 2-3% of their body weight per day. Unlike herbivores and omnivores which require a certain QUALITY of forage/nutrients, carnivores just need to get enough QUANTITY. Start at 2-3% of their ideal weight and adjust up or down if needed based on body condition.
Most feed chicken as the basis of their dogs' diet because it is readily available and cheap and variety is added as much as possible. Since I do not have a freezer to stock pile bulk orders I buy everything from the grocery store.
What parts of the chicken? any ground beef?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Every part of the chicken. Ground is ok, especially for variety- far better than kibble but whole cuts are preferred.

Edit: perhaps you should start a thread in the Raw section so we don't hijack this one :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Edit: perhaps you should start a thread in the Raw section so we don't hijack this one :)

Good call, and I do still think Honest Kitchen products are fantastic!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Agreed that maybe this could be moved or something, BUT.....I can't pass on an opportunity. LOL

I feed:

chicken quarters: $0.36 a pound
pork picnic: $0.88 a pound
beef head meat: $1.31 a pound
lamb breast: $1.29 a pound
turkey necks: $0.89 a pound
chicken eggs
canned tuna (I just had some that I had to use up)
canned salmon

The basis of the diet is chicken quarters since they are much cheaper. They get chicken every morning and a different protein source each night. Also small amounts of liver and other organs throughout the week.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.