Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Cavaliers. They have been on Orijen Adult for the last year and a half. They do fairly well on it. Recently, (about 5 weeks ago) we went on vacation. The dogs were at a dog-sitters house and were still fed Orijen. When we came home, they were never the same. Their poopies were runny for a week. We attributed it to stress. But ever since, their stool is now softer and a little less firm. I don't think it's the food but I figure we should go for a change.

I'm thinking of using Wellness Core Reduced Fat. My babies aren't very active, and they seem to have gained a few lbs in the last couple years.

I was also thinking of Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

Is it true that Orijen has additional supplments vs Wellness Core and Blue Buffalo?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long were the dogs left at the dog sitters place...?
Dogs were there for one week. I've had them there before. She is really good to them. She said they started getting sick about half way in with bad poop. She gave them rice and chicken and didn't help.

When they came home, I took em to the vet and the vet put them on Flagyl and also gave them some other supplement. That helped for awhile.

Now most of the time their stool is good but its always soft. It used to be rock hard before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just switched from Orijen to Acana. It is a lower version of Orijen but made by the same company. It was recommended from a well known breeder. They told me that when its hard to get the Acana, they will substitute it will Core Wellness because it is very similar.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think that the food is really the problem here. It doesn't make sense that a dog can be successful on on a diet for as long as your dog's have been and then suddenly have problems.

How long has it been since the dog's have been back home?

Is there any chance that she was feeding them something other than Orijen? Or perhaps feeding some "treat" that you don't normally feed?

It could have been a number of factors that triggered the diarrhea including, yes, stress.

Since their stools are improving after returning home, it may be something you can just wait out.

If you do decide to switch Wellness CORE is also an excellent feed that you can't go wrong with. :smile:

Just curious, what were you feeding your dog's before? Why did you switch to Orijen in the first place?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that the food is really the problem here. It doesn't make sense that a dog can be successful on on a diet for as long as your dog's have been and then suddenly have problems.

How long has it been since the dog's have been back home?

Is there any chance that she was feeding them something other than Orijen? Or perhaps feeding some "treat" that you don't normally feed?

It could have been a number of factors that triggered the diarrhea including, yes, stress.

Since their stools are improving after returning home, it may be something you can just wait out.

If you do decide to switch Wellness CORE is also an excellent feed that you can't go wrong with. :smile:

Just curious, what were you feeding your dog's before? Why did you switch to Orijen in the first place?
I don't think it's the food either but it's been so long now I'm just not sure. The vet said exactly what I thought they would say. "Stress."

I was just thinking maybe a change of food would be nice for them anyways.

I was feeding them Natural Balance before Orijen. Then I went to the specialty dog store one day and the owner recommended Orijen. I tried it out and the dogs were doing great!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I don't think it's the food either but it's been so long now I'm just not sure. The vet said exactly what I thought they would say. "Stress."

I was just thinking maybe a change of food would be nice for them anyways.

I was feeding them Natural Balance before Orijen. Then I went to the specialty dog store one day and the owner recommended Orijen. I tried it out and the dogs were doing great!
Maybe at the time the vet was correct for saying stress. But I don't think so now. If they were doing fine on Orijen, then it might not be the food. If you switch their food, I would go for something with that isn't so rich. Take a look at California Natural. It's for sensitive bellies. How old are your dogs BTW...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts