Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know what you guys think. I use Orijen but my local petstore here in Sacramento, CA said that they sell more of the Innova EVO dry kibble. The employees their also think EVO is a better dog food than Orijen. Just need everyone's opinions.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna go with Orijen too. Especially with their new red meat formula. They just put a lot more meat and wider variety of protein sources in there than Evo does.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I can't speak to the Orijen, but Zio is enjoying the change to Evo Large Bites from his previous food, Exceed. Also, given that he is an extremely active hunting dog, the 42% protein is a good choice.

I also thought that the fact that their formula is grainless is a real plus.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Rocky eats Orijen but he also gets a can of Evo split into two portions twice a day just because I read that canned food contains more meat then kibble and he LOVES his twice a day plate of Evo. It's really expensive so I may just give him real meat twice a day when I run out of that and it may be cheaper. He does really well on the Orijen dry but I have to have it shipped here. My local store is considering starting to carry it because more and more people are asking for it instead of the Evo.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Just wanted to know what you guys think. I use Orijen but my local petstore here in Sacramento, CA said that they sell more of the Innova EVO dry kibble. The employees their also think EVO is a better dog food than Orijen. Just need everyone's opinions.

I never tried either and have no desire. Each seems to have way too many inappropriate ingredients IMO. They are omnivore targeted nutrition, not carnivore.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd go with Abady in your situation. It will give you better results, IMO. I've fed both Abady and Orijen - it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think that both Orijen and Innova & EVO are great products. I have used Innova & EVO and found them excellent. In my rotation I will try Orijen! I want to try the fish one! They all make great claims on their web sights so really need to know what your looking for exactly. Its what works best for your dog!
But Orijen to me is better than Acana and this is what the company writes and I agree!

MEAT CONCENTRATION: ORIJEN is made with 70-75% meat ingredients while ACANA has between 40 to 65%, depending on the formula.
AMOUNT OF PROTEIN: ORIJEN diets range between 38% and 42% protein, while ACANA features protein levels of 29-34%.
AMOUNT OF CARBOHYDRATE: ORIJEN diets range from 18-22% of carbohydrate, while ACANA diets are typically in the 28-30% carbohydrate range.
AMOUNT OF FRESH MEAT: ORIJEN is made with 28-33% of fresh meats, compared with ACANA which ranges from 9-15% of fresh meats.
VARIETY OF FRESH MEAT: ORIJEN contains a minimum of 5 fresh meats, compared to ACANA which contains 3 different fresh meat ingredients.

EVO claims~EVO Grain-Free, Meat-Based Pet Food
While all Natura Pet Products use high-quality meat as the main pet food ingredient, EVO dog and cat food is completely grain-free. In fact, EVO has the highest protein content of any meat-based dry pet food on the market and uses whole, fresh meat sources such as turkey, chicken and herring meal!

Innova claims~Innova Holistic Cat and Dog Food
Just as dieticians recommend following the U.S. Department of Agriculture food pyramid for our own dietary needs, Innova applies this same principle when creating foods for our animal friends. Every Innova pet product, including our new Nutrient-Enhanced Innova Flex stews, incorporates elements from the five food groups - meat, dairy, vegetables, fruit and grain - plus essential fats and oils to deliver supreme nutrition for the overall health of your dog or cat.

Abady has by ~products and isn't a great food at all!

Reactions: phunkyphat

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think they are both close enough that you should just let your dog decide. They both have pretty decent ingredients and they are both pretty expensive so it should come down to your dog. Some might do better on Evo and some on Orijen.

Clay I know your nuts for Abady and I wouldn't mind giving it a try for my Coonhound but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm in Minnesota and haven't seen it anywhere.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nothing wrong with Abady's chicken by-products. Before you critize it, maybe you should try it. Your dogs will like it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmm I didn't criticize the by products. I just can't find anyone who sells it.

**edit** oops I see your post wasn't meant for me. I still stand by the fact that you cant find the stuff anywhere!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yea both are great so I think whichever the dog prefers is fine. Mine prefers EVO so thats what she gets. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Nothing wrong with Abady's chicken by-products. Before you critize it, maybe you should try it. Your dogs will like it.
I am not here to critizie anyones choice of food Feed whatever you like if it agrees with your pup then go for it. I just know that Abady from what I have read seems not a choice for my dogs that I would ever choose. I don't like their ingredients and I don't care for what they put in their food. If it works for your dogs then it is fine for you and your pups! I jsut would never recommend this product or endorse it to others because of the ingredients I think they are not good! As to whether my dogs would like it they may but they will never get the chance to find out because I don't care for the ingredients. But I wouldn't say I want to argue about this or be beligerent! Just don't like the product!

Chicken by-product meal is defined by AAFCO as "consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice. “Poultry” by-product meal is similar, but of unidentifiable origin (species). Meat and bone meal is an extremely low quality product of unidentifiable origin and something we would go to great lengths to avoid in any dog food. It is defined as "the rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices".

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am not here to critizie anyones choice of food Feed whatever you like if it agrees with your pup then go for it. I just know that Abady from what I have read seems not a choice for my dogs that I would ever choose. I don't like their ingredients and I don't care for what they put in their food. If it works for your dogs then it is fine for you and your pups! I jsut would never recommend this product or endorse it to others because of the ingredients I think they are not good! As to whether my dogs would like it they may but they will never get the chance to find out because I don't care for the ingredients. But I wouldn't say I want to argue about this or be beligerent! Just don't like the product!

Chicken by-product meal is defined by AAFCO as "consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice. “Poultry” by-product meal is similar, but of unidentifiable origin (species). Meat and bone meal is an extremely low quality product of unidentifiable origin and something we would go to great lengths to avoid in any dog food. It is defined as "the rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices".
"Don't judge a book by its cover". Perhaps you are reading your bias into the ingredient list on the box of Abady. Some federal agency "define" the products and we are suppose to drink their Kool-Aid? Dogs were eating lard and chicken by-products long before commercial dog food was invented. I appreciate the attempt by some companies to produce an outstanding product for dogs. I just personally believe it can come from many sources. I have fed Orijen, Pinnicle, Natural Balance, EVO, and 2 different Abady products. I can make comments on all theses because I have first experience with them and seen the results.

I'm sure eating raw fish is a no no according to some federal agencies, but sushi is sold all over the place.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
"Don't judge a book by its cover". Perhaps you are reading your bias into the ingredient list on the box of Abady. Some federal agency "define" the products and we are suppose to drink their Kool-Aid? Dogs were eating lard and chicken by-products long before commercial dog food was invented. I appreciate the attempt by some companies to produce an outstanding product for dogs. I just personally believe it can come from many sources. I have fed Orijen, Pinnicle, Natural Balance, EVO, and 2 different Abady products. I can make comments on all theses because I have first experience with them and seen the results.

I'm sure eating raw fish is a no no according to some federal agencies, but sushi is sold all over the place.
I'm pretty logical and I do think the ingredient list is their for a reason so we the public know what is in the product. I have used all the products you mention except Abady which I never will. I don't think they are writing falsehoods on this product. I find some of the food mentioned of very high quality and also some of it has a bit much in protien levels and some dogs do great others do not! I study up on these products and ask questions from store owners just regular folk even in general and I like to hear the results. The rep from Bil Jack tried to tell me how great it was and hmmm I was very confused as to her reasoning and thinking Molasses? yuck! Well anyway My kids drank koolaid and loved it I let them have sugar! I can't help it I love chocolate also! But I don't think I would let any one cram it down my throat! I pick and choose! And I hate sushi would never ever try it! But a couple of my kids eat it and tell me I don't know what I am missing! Ahhh choices! You have a wonderful rest of the day! just got back form a nice long walk going to have some koolaid!

If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance; You must stir it and stump it, and blow your own trumpet, or trust me, you haven't a chance.
W. S. Gilbert

·
Registered
441 Posts
Rocky eats Orijen but he also gets a can of Evo split into two portions twice a day just because I read that canned food contains more meat then kibble and he LOVES his twice a day plate of Evo. It's really expensive so I may just give him real meat twice a day when I run out of that and it may be cheaper. He does really well on the Orijen dry but I have to have it shipped here. My local store is considering starting to carry it because more and more people are asking for it instead of the Evo.
Chowder- With Titus, I put ground trukey, chicken, beef or anything else ground that is on sale into his kibble and mix it up. That way I know that he is getting protien and I know that it's not processed, dried and ground so fine that it is no longer recognizable. I might even suggest that others do it as well if you are looking for a higher protien level, but don't want to switch to raw. (Not telling anyone to switch to raw here, just trying to help!) I have been getting ground meet for between 1-3 dollars a pound, or on sale if they are having sales.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Dogs need protein! and the more natural the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts