Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know kibble doesn't have the same benefits as raw, but just curious, which of these two do you think has better meat content: Orijen or Innova Evo?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Innova Evo is a great great product. High in meat content. Being a grainless food it is outstanding.
Orijen contends it is 70% meat also a grainless food. another outstanding product!

Hand s down I feed my dogs both and I am confident they both conatin very good quality meat in both of them.
As for better meat content are you talking about which I prefer or which manufactuer thinks they have the best quality or content of meat?
I think both of these products are excellent. If I though had to choose between the two my first choice would be Orijen my second would be Innova Evo and then again I would have to look in my wallet at the time also because really they are both adequate in meat content and both great products that I trust my dogs well being with!:smile:

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. My mistake. Instead of "better meat" I meant "more meat." My dog is currently on Acana Wild Prairie. When he's done with it, were going to switch cold turkey to raw. When I have to use kibble, for traveling and stuff, gonna choose one of these two. Don't know which one though. Leaning more towards Evo.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're both great and pretty equal. I would let availability, cost and dogs preference be the deciding factor.

Yes, they are both good. Whichever is available and cost also, is the way I think I'll go. Actually, now that I remember, Evo has less carbs than Orijen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Evo has slightly lower carbs which equates to higher meat ratio. Both are very good foods and deserve the credit they get

S

L

·
0 Posts
I feed Acana grain-free and am happy with the results I'm seeing in my dogs. You could stick with Acana grain-free if you wanted to, instead of going to Orijen / Evo.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Innova Evo is a great great product. High in meat content. Being a grainless food it is outstanding.
Orijen contends it is 70% meat also a grainless food. another outstanding product!

Hand s down I feed my dogs both and I am confident they both conatin very good quality meat in both of them.
As for better meat content are you talking about which I prefer or which manufactuer thinks they have the best quality or content of meat?
I think both of these products are excellent. If I though had to choose between the two my first choice would be Orijen my second would be Innova Evo and then again I would have to look in my wallet at the time also because really they are both adequate in meat content and both great products that I trust my dogs well being with!:smile:
It is impossible for a kibble to be 70% meat. The product would not hold together and be a kibble. As a rule, in order for kibbles to be able to hold to together and not fall apart, they cannot be more than 20% meat. Why then do they advertise 70% meat? The answer is simple, they give you a figure based not upon a dry matter product like what you get in the bag but the figure that it may start with before processing. The 70% is with all the moisture content. Deduct your 75% moisture content of the meats and you will then find the number which would enable a kibble to hold together (under 20%).

·
Registered
29 Posts
In the 80' and 90's there was no way they could produce a kibble without grain that was stable and meat content that was around 70%, but with advances made in extruders have made it happen Natura started selling evo if i remember correctly around 2004/05.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Evo having lower carbs, IMO is a big bonus.
However, I've heard of a lot of dogs having a hard time with Evo, my own included, and not so many with Orijen.
I'd honestly say that they are so similar, that picking one over the other isn't going to shortchange your dog's health whatsoever, and that whichever the individual dog does best on is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Theyre both equally good, EVo is slightly higher protein( 42 %) and Orijen is 40%, my dog seems to like the taste of Orijen better though. He wont touch the EVO read meat, but will nibble on the chicken formula. I keep samples around as training treats.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Orijem regional red

Take a look at ORIJEN REGIONAL RED, it's fairly new, but it sure looks like it has as much meat in it as you possibly can. I have a small trial bag and I am gonna give small amounts to my dog stating tonight.
I have to mention, this is a very spendy dog food it's roughly 15 bucks more a bag than Orijens normal food.

Dog Food Reviews - Orijen Regional Red - Powered by ReviewPost

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It is impossible for a kibble to be 70% meat. The product would not hold together and be a kibble. As a rule, in order for kibbles to be able to hold to together and not fall apart, they cannot be more than 20% meat. Why then do they advertise 70% meat? The answer is simple, they give you a figure based not upon a dry matter product like what you get in the bag but the figure that it may start with before processing. The 70% is with all the moisture content. Deduct your 75% moisture content of the meats and you will then find the number which would enable a kibble to hold together (under 20%).
Do you sponser a dog food company or your just the dog food police? :rolleyes: I said Orijen claims and they do~~~~~~~~~~ also the dog food anyalysis does so either their web sight or the dog food analysis is telling tales ! Well whatever but I know Orijen is very high quality and great in meat source. My dogs doi greta on both these foods!

The first three ingredients of this food are all named meat products, two of which are in meal form. There are further meat ingredients fifth, sixth, ninth, tenth, twelth, thirteenth and fourteenth (10 in total) on the ingredient list. We can thus have a high level of confidence in the meat content of this food, which the manufacturer states to be 70% of the total.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Do you sponser a dog food company or your just the dog food police? :rolleyes: I said Orijen claims and they do~~~~~~~~~~ also the dog food anyalysis does so either their web sight or the dog food analysis is telling tales ! Well whatever but I know Orijen is very high quality and great in meat source. My dogs doi greta on both these foods!

The first three ingredients of this food are all named meat products, two of which are in meal form. There are further meat ingredients fifth, sixth, ninth, tenth, twelth, thirteenth and fourteenth (10 in total) on the ingredient list. We can thus have a high level of confidence in the meat content of this food, which the manufacturer states to be 70% of the total.
Do you sponsor Orijen? My take is it is equally important what is NOT in the food as to what is in the food. Yes, Orijen has plenty of named animal source ingredients in the ration. However, again, what's not included is also IMO of great importance, and in the case with Orijen (and other products from the company), I will pass on the Marigold Flowers and Dandelions. I do not want to see that in my dog food, regardless of all the named meat sources that are included.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Do you sponsor Orijen? My take is it is equally important what is NOT in the food as to what is in the food. Yes, Orijen has plenty of named animal source ingredients in the ration. However, again, what's not included is also IMO of great importance, and in the case with Orijen (and other products from the company), I will pass on the Marigold Flowers and Dandelions. I do not want to see that in my dog food, regardless of all the named meat sources that are included.
No I do not work for any dog food company Orijen or otherwise, but I wish I did to get a break on the price!!!!:biggrin: I guess the marigold & dandelions dont really affect my choice in a great quality food. Alot of meat in this food but then again alot of price, so personally I switch my foods around alot and I find the dogs do well this way!!:wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
You make it seem like when one buys a bag of Orijen they are getting a bag of dandelions. The reality is that those types of ingredients are present only in essentially trace amounts. Their purpose is to supply some nutrient, vitamin source etc. There is probably some marketing going on there as well and you could argue if a dog really needs these kind of things. But to say Orijen is is not great dog food because it has Marigold and Dandelions is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You make it seem like when one buys a bag of Orijen they are getting a bag of dandelions. The reality is that those types of ingredients are present only in essentially trace amounts. Their purpose is to supply some nutrient, vitamin source etc. There is probably some marketing going on there as well and you could argue if a dog really needs these kind of things. But to say Orijen is is not great dog food because it has Marigold and Dandelions is ridiculous.
Joe, being a little new here you don't know Claybuster's MO. He feed Abady which is a magical processed food which has been know to do things like prevent hip displasia (yeah right)

His fight against all other kibble is his obsession for marigold and dandelions. (do a search for it... it's quite amusing how often he brings it up)

·
Banned
620 Posts
Don't forget about the rest of those wonderful ingredients like Summer Savory, Black Currants, Chamomile flowers, Peppermint Leaf, Angelica Root, Licorice Root... And the Turnip Greens, Carrots and Spinach...All great stuff for dogs. Make sure you stay far away from ingredients like Lard and Byproduct meals, that crap may just kill your dog!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts