Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone knows about the frozen raw foods at the store.are some better than others.as it seems like theres quite a price difference.does anyone have any experience with these products and which is the best one.i've found natures variety,steves real foods,natural balance,primal pet foods all locally.and was wonderin which is the best.any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
While the pre-mix raw diets are far superior to any kibble or canned dog food you will find, they are also far behind just a plain old prey model raw diet. In general, the pre-mix raw diets contain too much bone and many ingredients that are inappropriate to feed dogs.

The prey model raw diet is FAR cheaper and doesn't contain all the inappropriate ingredients that the pre-mix diets do. To learn more about beginning a prey model raw diet, click the link in my sig. If you have questions (and you will), return here and ask them.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, the frozen raw foods I like are the kind you find in the butcher section, generally the chicken leg quarters, ground beef, liver, etc. :biggrin:

The only pre-made raw food I've found that I like the ingredients of is the RadCat line of food, which is for cats and far too expensive to feed to dogs. Which is ironic since it's one of the cheapest ones on the market compared to the other pre-made frozen raw foods for dogs and cats (Primal, etc.).

But I guess if I had to choose another one, Primal might be it because they have those chubs that only have meat, bone, and organ in them that say "This is for supplemental feeding only, not for whole meals, not 'balanced' as per AAFCO standards" which may be your first clue that it's good...

However, ground meat is not ideal for a constant, long-term diet for carnivores (unless you're my old cat and that's the only thing you'll eat besides the occasional mackerel, salmon skin, and chicken gizzards). However, as RFD said, it is better than kibble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts