Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have done OK with finding our chicken and pork and at good prices too.

I am hoping to run into some beef soon to stock up. I have yet to run into anything reasonable or even close. What beef are you feeding your dogs? What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
718 Posts
The only beef I'm ever able to find below $1.00/lb is beef ribs, which of course, are mostly bone.

The way I look at it is I try to keep my overall AVERAGE cost of meat for the dogs below $1/lb. I usually buy chicken (except wings) for anywhere from .39 to .59/lb. Pork comes in at .59 to .89/lb. Chicken and duck wings at about $1.79/lb. Beef can be had around here for under $2.00/lb.

So I buy more chicken and pork, less wings and even less beef but they get a little of everything and I still keep the cost under $1/lb.

I'm sure beef can be found cheaply enough in some areas but where I am, this system works for me.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The main beef muscle meat source our dogs get is beef heart that is about $.80 per pound. Body system wise it's an organ but nutritionally it's considered muscle meat. BUT it's a very rich muscle meat so you have to add it in slowly and in moderation. We also do beef ribs, our dogs don't eat much of the bone at all but they serve as a good, safe rec bone for them.

You can feed ground beef, but it can have a higher bacterial load and cause digestive upset initially, but I think it's rather easy to get a dog used to it. Ground meat doesn't offer any dental benefits or stimulation but it's certainly not the worst thing to feed. We do feed ground on occasion to the girls but we don't actively buy it for them much.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've been feeding beef head meat. I've actually posted a whole thread about it :)rolleyes:) including pictures.

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/2899-beef-head-meat.html

I bought it in a 60 pound case from a local meat distributor for $1.31. More expensive than beef ribs, but there is no bone in it. One down side...there are these big fat deposits that can be a little difficult to chew through. Otherwise it's been a good buy. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I keep my average below $1/ lb (actually I figured my exact average based on what percentage of their diet each meat consists of, and the prices of those, that my average is $.74/lb)
That being said, I feed beef for one meal per week (i feed twice per day) and pay around $2/lb for it, but the cheaper meats I buy make it possible for me to feed this and stay at a low overall cost. Craigslist can also be a great source for freezer burned ground beef.

I feed beef ribs which are around $1/lb and then supplement that meal with a chunk of whatever else I have. Sometimes briskets are on sale for $1.70 and when they are, I buy a few. I also feed beef heart regularly, as well as beef kidney.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts