Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Pax, our lab/retreiver?? mix was just confused tonight as his food bowl had no EVO and all that was on the towel for him was a chicken quarter. He kept going back to his bowl and looking up at me with his bloodshot eyes. He has always looked like he is on "doggie downers". He will be a slow learner probably as even after 12 weeks of chicken feet for a snack he hasn't got the crunching of them down very well yet. I did chop the quarter into smaller pieces for him. Not going to worry about him getting too small of pieces as he has always been a dog that really does crunch his kibble many times before he swallows and gets the next mouthful.

The white boxer Bailey, on the other hand, once she was able to get her quarter underneath those floppy jowls, past that huge underbite and manipulate it to those tiny back teeth did seem to know how to do it. Guess shes not simply a cute faced ditzy blond after all. She is normally a gulper so will give her larger sized things and be willing to hold on as needed for awhile.

These two will not be as easy as the first two were.

·
Banned
493 Posts
It's probably just that they are unsure what the chicken quarters are because they are so used to eating kibble. Just be patient. They'll eventually get the hang of it. Otherwise, I don't what to tell you for this was never really an issue with Lucky. Hopefully someone else can elaborate on this a bit more.

Reminds me of a kid who loves to eat happy meals from MacDonalds then starts to wine when a chicken brest and some broccoli are put in front of them:biggrin:

·
Registered
718 Posts
You might try putting the chicken in his regular food bowl. I had to do that with one of my dogs in the beginning as he associated feeding with the bowl. Once he gets used the the new food you probably won't need the bowl.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well breakfast was at least a bit easier. Poor ol Pax, though he just keeps giving those "I'm confused and don't know what to do" eyes. Cut the quarter into 2 pieces and it was a tiny bit better. Don't think it is a not liking it is a problem-- his previous kibble eating style was small mouthful, with a very lenghty chew time, swallow, then another small mouthful etc. Going to cut the quarter into 3 pieces tonight to test if it is a size thing! As I mentioned originally I'm not concerned about gulping things down. He has never eaten in a frenzied manner.

Gotta give the boxer an A for effort, and there was a lot of effort, as she really has to work to mash with those goofy little teeth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well breakfast was at least a bit easier. Poor ol Pax, though he just keeps giving those "I'm confused and don't know what to do" eyes. Cut the quarter into 2 pieces and it was a tiny bit better. Don't think it is a not liking it is a problem-- his previous kibble eating style was small mouthful, with a very lenghty chew time, swallow, then another small mouthful etc. Going to cut the quarter into 3 pieces tonight to test if it is a size thing! As I mentioned originally I'm not concerned about gulping things down. He has never eaten in a frenzied manner.

Gotta give the boxer an A for effort, and there was a lot of effort, as she really has to work to mash with those goofy little teeth.
Gracie my lab mix did the same thing at first. I cut the chicken backs up for her and hand fed her she loved that. Now she chomps the whole thing without cutting. Just give Pax some time....good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LovinMyLabs--I recall your initial problems with your Lab and just absolutely knew Pax was going to be the same way. :biggrin:

The boxer really gives it the ol college try. She has started both times with the knobby end of the leg and it takes her forever to get the knob chewed down. It probably takes her about 15 minutes to eat a chick quarter. Gotta think through on whether to give her a differant shape or cut the quarters into thigh and leg to make it a bit quicker/easier. On the other hand quicker and easier doesn't do much for the stimulation. A busy boxer is a happy boxer.

You will be my role model for patience!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts