Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm sure this question has been asked before (actually I think I remember reading something of the sort), but I'll be a pain and ask it again. :biggrin:

Where do you guys get your meat from? I know about all the different ways to find it, I'm just curious as to what most of you do. Where have you guys found the cheapest prices? The best selection? Etc....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I get my meats from a mexican market and asian market I have about 5 minutes from my house, and also my wholesale meats from a company that is about 15 minutes. Most of the meats I buy are never over $1. Except for the duck, and beef. I never ever go over $2/lb. Well, not yet at least. LOL :smile:

Oh, forgot Costco and Walmart!!! They have some cheap stuff...!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get my meats from a mexican market and asian market I have about 5 minutes from my house, and also my wholesale meats from a company that is about 15 minutes. Most of the meats I buy are never over $1. Except for the duck, and beef. I never ever go over $2/lb. Well, not yet at least. LOL :smile:
That's cool...what do you get from them other than beef and duck?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Harvest Meats

Harvest Meat Company - Products

Average price on the "regulars" is about $.60 per pound.

Regulars:
chicken quarters
chicken backs
turkey necks
turkey wings
pork riblets
whole tilapia
beef ribs
beef heart
liver meat (pork usually)
kidney meat (pork usually)

We look for pork shoulder/butt roasts at the supermarkets when its on sale for $1 or less per pound. Whole turkeys when on sale from the supermarkets.

Asian markets for the cats food items-small fresh whole frozen fish.

Colorado Carnivores co op- misc items and meats...wont pay more than $1.50 per pound for much of anything.

Craigslist ads for freezer burned meats- usually free, unless its game meat we will buy it for no more than $1.50 per pound.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That's cool...what do you get from them other than beef and duck?
Chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, whole tilapia, whole pollock, whole cod and liver and kidney. They even have horse meat, buffalo, elk and venison. But that's too expensive for me. :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I go a couple different places.

WAL MART
Chicken Quarters- Regularly $.61/lb but I generally stock up like crazy when they go on good sales. (like $4/bag-$.40/lb)
Pork Shoulder Roasts- Regularly $.99/lb, but they go on sale often enough for $.79 that we don't pay full price, and just buy a few when they are on sale.
Beef Kidney- $.99/lb Never seen it on sale.

FOOD4LESS
Beef Ribs- $1.09 regularly.
Lamb Breast- $1.59 regularly. (unbelievable for lamb, according to prices I see elsewhere!
Goat- $1.80 regularly. I bought it on sale for $1.49, not sure how often it goes on sale, as I've only gone one time so far, and bought these three things.

RANCH 99
Pork Heart $1.19/lb
Whole Sardines $1.02/lb
Boneless Beef Shank- $1.89/lb

LOS RANCHEROS MEXICAN MARKET
Whole Talapia $1.42/lb (occasionally goes on sale for less. but not a whole lot less)

I buy whole turkey only on sale and have gotten it as low as $.25/lb. I really try to keep it under $1/lb but will go up to $2 for a few things, like beef. I try to stock up as much as possible on sales, so I never have to pay full price. I keep abou 300lbs in stock at a time here, so I never run out!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harvest Meats

Harvest Meat Company - Products

Average price on the "regulars" is about $.60 per pound.

Regulars:
chicken quarters
chicken backs
turkey necks
turkey wings
pork riblets
whole tilapia
beef ribs
beef heart
liver meat (pork usually)
kidney meat (pork usually)
I went looking at this Harvest Meats website...they have a location in Orlando. :biggrin: How do you get your product from them? And is it in crazy bulk?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whole turkeys when on sale from the supermarkets.
I buy whole turkey only on sale and have gotten it as low as $.25/lb.
I would love to stock up on some turkey right now...they have it on sale at the local market, but I'm trying to figure out how to portion up those suckers. lol Getting the wings and drumsticks off are easy, but how do I divide up the body? Do you guys just take a heavy meat cleaver to it??? :confused:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Walmart for my CLQs because they're usually about $0.57/lb. Sometimes they have turkey necks or drumsticks on sale for about $0.79/lb so i'll snatch those up when it happens.

Winco for my pork because I can usually find it for about $0.98/lb in the "off season" and about $0.68/lb during the summer. Winco also has less expensive cans of mackerel. Right now they're $1.48/each. And sardines for $0.88/tin. Not the best price but I bet my puppy and cat will enjoy them.

Almost everything else I get for free off of craigslist or from my mom's butcher friend. I spend almost 2 hours today cutting up cow liver, spleen, tongue, heart, and lung. What a pain in the butt lung is to cut up! I swear I will not be asking for it again for a long time. And I now have so much organic, free range, grass-fed cow liver I don't think I will ever need to buy liver again. It should last all of my dogs for the rest of their lives! Ok maybe not that much but it sure seems like it!

I also got a bunch of slightly meaty pork bones that were already conveniently cut up, so those will make nice chew toys.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see cow tongue all the time at Walmart, but I have no idea what to do with it. lol Would it be a muscle meat or more of a chew toy?

I can just see Brady running around with this giant tongue sticking out of his mouth...shaking it...smacking him in the face...:tongue:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I would love to stock up on some turkey right now...they have it on sale at the local market, but I'm trying to figure out how to portion up those suckers. lol Getting the wings and drumsticks off are easy, but how do I divide up the body? Do you guys just take a heavy meat cleaver to it??? :confused:
It is easier than you might think. :wink: Poultry shears work pretty well, but I've just used a big knife before.

I cut it like this:

Drumstick
Thigh
Wing
Left breast
Right Breast
back
guts/neck if included

The breast bone can be a little tricky to cut through. But I've found that there is a "sweet spot" juuuussstt to either side of the middle. I cut there because it's loads easier. :tongue:

Richelle

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Tongues easy, just cut it up into slices or chunks and feed it. It's considered a muscle meat, it is kinda rubbery with the thick skin left on but somewhere someone said that they find it skined. My dogs love it when I find it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Co-Op, but I just emailed a 'high end' grocery store that carries a lot of lamb, peasant, duck, goose, elk, buffalo, etc. to see if they have any deals on weird cuts (necks, etc) or old meat.

Hopefully they get back to me. :)

Reactions: harrkim120

·
Registered
52 Posts
Most of our supplies come from a local grocery (3 stores)--I stop in 2-3 days per week and shop either for advertized sales or the managers special.

Right now pork butt roast are .99/lb as an advertized sale and also picked up quarters on managers special at .79/lb. While the last is not a great price it lets me stay well under the per pound price I try to stay under. I think being willing to buy at the higher price helps promote a good relationship. I did call the store just a few minutes ago and they have put aside the remainder of the managers special on the quarters for me to pick up Saturday. Going to be .19/# for about 18#.

Also in talking to him before- none of their private label product is enhanced.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ok, he has lamb necks...these are good to feed, right??

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Lamb necks are fine to feed, I don't personally feed them as they are an odd shaped bone and not alot of meat on them, they can be sharp. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The butcher told me he could get them for me whole, this would be a lot better, right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I get my wholesale product from Perfectly Raw. She's in NH, but delivers all the way down through CT and NY. She pulls off the highway, we meet at a designated parking lot, and the deal goes down. She makes it convenient for everyone.

Then scan what I now call the "weird meat sections" of the grocery stores and Wally World. Based on comments here, I will go trolling ethnic markets when I can. Never thought of that, and it's a great tip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts