Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I've never seen a beef heart. Where can I buy them? Wal-mart Super Center?
Some Walmarts might have them. None around me do but I've heard from others that they bought beef hearts from Walmart. I special order mine from a small independent grocer in 60lb cases. Wish I could get smaller amounts at a time.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You can find them at most grocery stores, in the meat dept. if you don't ask the guy at the meat counter. I bought in bulk, but now that it's gone I just buy by the package, it either come in a lump, or sliced.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I get mine from a rancher my mom goes to in rural NV. Apparently no one ever wants them so he has freezers full of beef heart and liver that he gives her to bring to me.

I may be a little spoiled :biggrin:

But since my mom just switched to raw, too, I'm guess I won't be getting as much of her haul as I usually do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions on where to find the beef hearts. I'll have to look harder. (I think I'll skip Doc's suggestion.) Too bad I don't know a rancher . . . maybe I should say farmer . . . we don't have ranchers here.

My next question: How much do I give them? I read on here that they should be started slow but how much do you work up to?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
You can get them at most Wal-Mart supercenters. I never knew it until I looked. You can get intestines, too! yum!
If you don't have one, or they don't carry it, you can try ethnic markets as well. They usually carry that kind of stuff.
I never knew what kind of nasty things you could buy at Wal mart until I decided to give raw a shot.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Fortunately our meat distributing company here carries them for 88 cents a pound and I think we can get ~30# cases. So if you are close to Denver give Harvest Meat Company a call ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts