Dog Food Chat banner

Where do you buy your kibble?

Tags
dog food
9K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  Unosmom 
#1 ·
Where do you buy your kibble... I am trying to put something together and would like to see where everyone buys kibble.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I buy mine from a place called Goober Pet Direct in Phoenix. They deliver free of charge throughout Phoenix and the Valley which makes things nice and they are reasonably priced and carry a ton of brands.

G
#5 ·
Two places

We have a small chain of 4 or 5 stores here - Nashville Pet Products that sell the best brands of food.

There are also a few "boutiques" that sell the best foods. As well as matching sweaters for you and your dog, earrings with dogs on them, very foo foo leashes, etc. Everything you never needed but would love to have for your pet. I tell my clients to leave their wallets in the car.

Pet Smarts sells no human grade food here and PetCo and Pet Supermarkets sell pets which is a big bo-no in my book!

Oh, wait we have feedstores in the outlying areas that sell a few of the good brands too. Oh, and the health food stores too.

A lot of my clients feed Flint River Ranch. Partly because it is a good food and partly because they get you on a program and send you whatever quantity you need to your door each week. (So that would be laziness/convenience. LOL!)

#7 ·
We have a small chain of 4 or 5 stores here - Nashville Pet Products that sell the best brands of food.

There are also a few "boutiques" that sell the best foods. As well as matching sweaters for you and your dog, earrings with dogs on them, very foo foo leashes, etc. Everything you never needed but would love to have for your pet. I tell my clients to leave their wallets in the car.

Pet Smarts sells no human grade food here and PetCo and Pet Supermarkets sell pets which is a big bo-no in my book!

Oh, wait we have feedstores in the outlying areas that sell a few of the good brands too. Oh, and the health food stores too.

A lot of my clients feed Flint River Ranch. Partly because it is a good food and partly because they get you on a program and send you whatever quantity you need to your door each week. (So that would be laziness/convenience. LOL!)

PetCo doesn't sell pets, they have an adoption center and they allow adoption groups to use their facilities to ADOPT out pets. All pets at PetCo locations are the property of non profit rescue groups just an FYI.

#13 ·
My PetCo does not sell rabbits of ferrets. Actually none of the ones in my areas do. Maybe it varies by state. They have birds, fish, mice, hampsters, and guinie pigs in my area, but so does PetSmart.

G
#15 ·
I buy my food here: http://www.doggonenatural.com/.

It's a new store that opened up last year, I love that place. The owner is a nutritionist and is very very selective about what foods she carries (she pulled Timberwolf back in April due to customer's dogs getting sick, and has stopped carrying Canidae due to the formula changes). She won't carry some of the foods that we all consider to be good (such as Wellness) because they don't meet her standards. Her dachshund has been raw fed since she got him as a pup, and she wholeheartedly believes in the raw diet but doesn't push it onto others, which is something I appreciate very much. All that and she adores my dog, she always sends him home with a doggie bag of yummy treats.

Prior to this store opening I had to drive the 15 miles to Leesburg (which takes almost 40 minutes) to get food. I could have gotten good food closer to home, but those stores all sell puppies and I won't step foot into any of those places.

All this and I work at PetSmart LOL! I've sent many a PetSmart customer to Doggone Natural, just don't tell PetSmart that.

#16 ·
We buy from either Tractor Supply or the local feed store which carries a limited selection. They have a couple brands of so called "premium" pet food, but finding it on the shelf isn't easy. Most people around here buy food in Walmart, so the feed stores don't want to stock up on food very few people can afford to buy.

#17 ·
Yeah, my mom lives in a tiny town outside of a small town in the middle of nowhere in Nevada and the only place she can get even decent food (Nutro) is at a tiny feed store that's only open when she works during the week and on Saturdays, but she still gets it. It's definitely hard to get good dog kibble in a small town without paying exorbitant shipping prices but it's better than what she was feeding them: Purina Dog Chow.

#18 · (Edited)
Tractor Supply sells a lot of Pedigree and their own brand which is probably worse than Purina. They have a large variety of Nutro, Diamond, Iams and SD, they recently started getting Taste of the Wild. Their cat food options are horrid, I don't buy any cat food there ever. They sell really cheap cat food for barn cats.

For cat food I go to the other feed store which has a lot better selection for cats. I can get Chicken Soup there, as well as Innova. They sell Chicken Soup for dogs, but I've only seen one or two bags of Innova dog food. It's frustrating because they don't always have food in stock. I go there on the days the food is delivered if I want to get what I need, sometimes I miss out and can't get large bag of cat food, have to get the sample bags which is a pain.

I checked out the cost of shipping from Pet Food Direct, it costs around $15 to have 35 lb bag of food delivered to my house, that's nuts.

I've contacted Tractor Supply to see if they could order something else, but all they did was refer me to my local store manager. He said what they get is decided by the main branch of TSC, he can only sell what they send him.
I contacted the manager of the other feed store, she told me that they don't order a lot of the premium foods because there iisn't enough demand for them, and she can't order just one bag of a particular food. So I decided to contact a few of the pet food companies to see if they can get a sales person to the store, maybe send down some samples for customers to try. I know they did this with Innova, the feed store had a lot of samples for a few months they were giving them away to everyone! Now they carry some of the Innova products, but not all, better than nothing. If Innova can do this, maybe some of the other companies can do too.

#21 ·
I guess I'm lucky...Southern California has holistic/natural/organic feeding supply stores everywhere. So I never have a problem getting the food...thank the lord.

Kind of off topic, but ferrets are illegal in some states, thats why they don't sell them. They're illegal in California, though ferret owners are working on it, but all the pet stores sell Ferret supplies.

#26 ·
depends on what i'm buying. if it's natural balance duck & potato small bites i order online from onlynaturalpet.com since i can't find the small bites in stores. regular sized natural balance i can get at petfood express in san jose or by my office in palo alto. they also carry the wellness canned he eats. oz is going to start on merrick's before grain buffalo soon and that i have to pick up at this fancy doggie boutique in downtown palo alto called dogtown. works out though since they're the only place i can find his 100% canned evanger's as well.

G
#27 ·
I buy all my dog food and treats at the local Agway store here in CT. It's a great store that carries most if not all of the best brands.
I also purchase food for my rabbits and guinea pigs from Agway.
And sometimes I pick up dinner for my teenagers there, too.

(just kidding about the teenagers) :smile:

#28 ·
I get all my food online from Pet Food Direct. I wait for them to email me a 22% off coupon and then once I apply that, the shipping is free and I get enough extra off the food that it is actually cheaper then what I can get it at from the one store that sells it here locally. We only have one or two stores that sells any premium brands and they sell only a few. This way I can stock up on all the brands, plus exotic treats like the Bravo bites and the Orijen food and I dont' pay any tax or gas and it gets put right on my front door step. I feel real bad for my UPS driver though!

#30 ·
I order all my food from the supplier we use at the daycare/ boarding facility I work at.
I have no idea what I'm going to do when I move out of state in December to Vegas, as I am getting my food wholesale right now. $36 for a 44lb bag of Canidae works for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.