Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are adopting a 3 year old Great Dane from Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue on Tuesday! I am very interested in doing the prey model raw diet (thanks to jdatwood and danemama08 for doing our home interview and spiking our interest!) My question is this: do I start the raw diet immediately or should I let her get used to the house, kids, and routine first and start in a few weeks? My guess would be to start right away, but I don't want to put the poor dog into shock!
Let me know what you think!

·
Banned
493 Posts
We are adopting a 3 year old Great Dane from Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue on Tuesday! I am very interested in doing the prey model raw diet (thanks to jdatwood and danemama08 for doing our home interview and spiking our interest!) My question is this: do I start the raw diet immediately or should I let her get used to the house, kids, and routine first and start in a few weeks? My guess would be to start right away, but I don't want to put the poor dog into shock!
Let me know what you think!
I would think it would be fine to start right away. It digests very quickly, and is gentle on the digestive system in most cases. So yea, I'd start right away. I don't see any reason not to:smile:

Reactions: newdanemama

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would start right away. I am sure Jon and Natalie told you to ease into it though. Most likely start with chicken backs and quarters. Feeding raw needs to be what your new dog gets used to in your routine. Rather than getting her used to everything without raw, and then throwing in another curve ball and later switching to raw, I would start raw right when you get her. Like many dogs, she may have some intestinal upset at first (but that could happen anytime you switch to raw). Of course she may not want to eat itat first because it is so different; just don't feed her anything else until she eats the raw. Also, most raw feeders start by fasting their dog for 24 hours. Congrats and Good luck! (and this is just my opinion and what I would do if I adopted a new dog)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yay I'm so happy that you joined the forum and adopted a Dane from two of our members AND you're going to do the best thing for your Dane by feeding raw! You make me a happy person :biggrin:

Anyway, I say just switch your dog right over to raw, no reason to put it off and cold turkey is the best way to switch. Start with chicken backs or chicken leg quarters and read this webpage to get started Skylar, Zack, and Abby on the WEB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that article. Very informative yet easy to understand, which is just exactly what I need.
Thank you all for your support, I am sure I will be posting updates

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yay! Welcome to forum and SO glad that you joined! Gotta put up pictures so I can put a face to the name!

Who are you adopting?!

And to elaborate, I would start right away too...most Danes going from one home to another have issues with their tummies anyways. Usually they are switched foods regardless, so why not switch to the best you can offer? I would follow the link that Rann posted very closely, it really does provide the best method for switching a dog over.

Let us know if you have any questions, concerns or comments!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Natalie-
My name is Kristin and I am in Aurora. I am quite sure that you won't forget my two little boys who LOVED Bailey!
We are adopting Socks/Boots. Her picture is still up on the website. She was found as a stray and doesn't answer to any name really. (I don't think they knew what her name was) We met her on Saturday. She was a total sweetheart and won us over quickly! We are so excited to have her in our home.
Thank you for all of your help. I have been reading through all of the raw feeding posts and I am learning so much

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Of course we remember you guys....we both agree that you are our favorite family so far... :wink:

I am glad that you have found a Dane that matches well with your family! She looks like a total sweeheart too....post up pictures whenever you get a chance!

Have you made an order with Harvest yet? I would so you can get it thawing now...since she is coming home to you in 3 days or so and it will take that long for the cases of meat to thaw out. Then you can repackage it into daily rations or something. Unless you are not going to order in bulk?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am still scouring Craigslist for a deep freezer! (I am dragging my heels to spend over $100 on a freezer, I just need to do it!) Then I will definitely get in touch with Harvest. So our first few feedings may not be from bulk. Good to know that it takes a few days for the meat to thaw out. How long does it take from the time you order till you can pick it up?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Pickup is usually available same day, but you have to go get it by 3pm.

If you can't make an order from Harvest, you can always go to Walmart and get chicken quarters to start out with. They usually run about 65 cents per pound. You might have to trim off some of the extra skin/fat from them in the beginning because some dogs don't like it or it will upset their systems. Generally I think its better to start out on chicken backs at first and then work in quarters, because backs have more bone in them. Which helps keep stools firm in the beginning (most likely you will see some diarrhea in the beginning...which is 100% normal).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts