Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious...when is the right time to show affection to a dog. Cesar Millan says that you should only show your dog affection when they are acting submissive. If they are excited, nervous, scared, anxious, or acting dominate, you should not show them any affection. He says that when a dog is acting dominant you should not show them any affection until they act submissive. Does anyone agree with his views on this? I've never heard of such a thing. I would like to know what other people think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree. Showing affection to a dog in that state of mind tells the dog that being aggressive, excited, nervous, etc, is a good thing. I personally don't care that my dog is excited, in fact, I encourage it, so yes, I do give them affection when they are excited. It's so fun to see your dog run around all happy and sprinting around the yard. Some people, however, want a dog that is just a couch potato and would prefer their dog never be excited. But yes I agree with most of what Cesar Millan has to say. I've tried some of his training techniques and have seen major improvements in both of my dogs and one is only 3 months old!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Really? Wow. Thanks for the information. I've heard conflicting reports about Cesar Milland and was kind of unsure. Thanks!
The guy knows his dogs, no doubt. He might be a little over the top for viewing and rating purposes, but he does get it.. And you'll notice, all good dog trainers are people trainers. Just keep that in the back of your mind :)

Another good one to check out (don't know the rules on linking out) is Eric Latendre (aka The Amazing Dog Training Man). He has a website dedicated to positive reinforcement training and has been studying canine behavior for over 20 years. He's very intelligent. His website isn't free, but it's rather cheap. He also has tons of video on YouTube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts