Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this may seem like a real no-brainer, but at what age is a puppy considered an adult dog? Specifically in regards to feeding them. I know that puppies tend to have bigger appitites than adult dogs. Also, does it depend on the breed at all? If so, I have a 15 month old GSD. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
well from what i've heard and read in the past, its the year mark that people seem to think a puppy is a dog. Food wise, many of the forumers will say that it does not matter. That puppy/dog/senior food is all the same and that the dog food companies are using it as a marketing gimmick.

As for your 15 month gsd, I would say that hes technically a dog.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I know this may seem like a real no-brainer, but at what age is a puppy considered an adult dog? Specifically in regards to feeding them. I know that puppies tend to have bigger appitites than adult dogs. Also, does it depend on the breed at all? If so, I have a 15 month old GSD. :)

Thanks!
I think it depends on the breed and when they stop growing. Little dogs tend to stop growing earlier then big dogs. It also depends on the activity level. I know a husky breeder that feeds his dogs puppy food all the time for the extra calories while they are pulling sleds.

Rocky is 17 months old now and seems to have topped out at 75 pounds. His no longer runs around the house and yard like a maniac and doesn't seem to be getting any bigger so I've put him on Orijen adult now instead of the large breed puppy. Both are high protein foods so I don't think it really matters which one he eats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts