Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a really hard time finding information on when a puppy/dog should be moved to adult portions. I know puppies need up to 10% of their weight, and adults need only 2-4%, but what age are they considered adults? I think of them as puppies for the first 1.5-2 years, but I don't know if that's accurate for feeding purposes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi!

My understanding is that as soon as the higher percentage exceeds the amount you would feed as 2-3% of your puppy's estimated adult weight, you switch to that amount.

For example: A 10 pound puppy whose estimated adult weight is 100 pounds would be fed 1 pound, spread over several meals. When the puppy weighs 40 pounds, if you use the 10% rule, you would be feeding 4 pounds - too much! - because the 2-3% rule maxes your dog's "anticiated adult weight" of 100 pounds out at 2-3 pounds of food total....so when you get to the point where amount of food you are feeding on the 10% rule is GREATER than the amount of food you would feed at 3% of anticipated adult weight, you switch to the 3% of anticipated adult weight.

I did not say that very clearly! Did it make any sense? If not, tell me what kind of dog you have, his weight now, and his anticipated weight, and I will do the math for you (good thing I am better at math than I am with words!)!

Reactions: ubershann

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
How old is your pup?

How much are you feeding her?

What does she weigh?

How big is she supposed to get?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's an 8 month old lab. I haven't weighed her for a bit but I think she's between 50-55 pounds right now. I'd guess she'd top out around 70?

The percentage explanation made perfect sense, and it sounds like she right around the point when I don't need to give her too much extra. I'm sure she'll be disappointed though! lol! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Oh, she's definitely at weight where you would only feed her 2-3% of her ideal current weight. So if you feed 1-1 1/2 pounds per day you should be good to go for a bit. Then start to increase as she grows the last bit.

When raw feeding a puppy you only feed 10% of their current weight for the first few weeks to months depending on the dog or breed.

For example, right now Zuri weighs about 16 pounds so we are feeding her about 1.5 pounds. Not until she weighs about 25-35 pounds will we cut her back to feeding 2-3% of her current weight. This is because that 10% of 25-35 pounds (2.5-3.5 pounds) EQUALS 2-3% 125 pounds (2.5-3.6 pounds), which is her ideal adult weight. She will reach 25-35 pounds probably in the next month, or right around 3 months old.

·
Registered
820 Posts
We all had this at the start. I think I hit it lucky with a dog whose ideal weight is 100 lbs so it was dead simple, I fed 10 % of her puppy weight until I got to 2 lb (2 % ideal) then stayed around their adding in the occasional extra pound (1 %) when needed. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
This is so confusing!
I know! :tongue:
When I started I just told then my dogs ideal adult weight, his age, and his current weight. They figured it out and just told me what to do and I did it! Hahaha. :biggrin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just made an excel spreadsheet that will calculate how much to feed your dog(s), based on your dog(s) weight. If anyone wants it, feel free to PM me and I will send it (I do not know how to attach a file to a thread post!).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I hope you don't mind if I blame you when Tiki gives me the stink eye for feeding her less :biggrin:

How do you figure out if you should be feeding 2%, 3% or 4%? Is it based on activity level? Or just by try-and-see? Meaning watch for weight loss/gain

·
Registered
115 Posts
How do you figure out if you should be feeding 2%, 3% or 4%? Is it based on activity level? Or just by try-and-see? Meaning watch for weight loss/gain
Watch for weight gain/loss. I am feeding 3%, but if they start to get heavy, I will cut back.

Reactions: ubershann

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i used to try to weigh them....

now if bubba's girly waist gets thicker, i cut back...if malia's pouch comes back, i feed less.

i think you can look at them and tell if they are gaining or losing...

but, raw dogs are deceptive....what we are used to as skinny on a raw fed dog is actually pretty healthy...especially when the ribs are defined...not sticking out...but defined.....

course, if you listen to the dog, you're starving him or her....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i used to try to weigh them....

now if bubba's girly waist gets thicker, i cut back...if malia's pouch comes back, i feed less.

i think you can look at them and tell if they are gaining or losing...

but, raw dogs are deceptive....what we are used to as skinny on a raw fed dog is actually pretty healthy...especially when the ribs are defined...not sticking out...but defined.....

course, if you listen to the dog, you're starving him or her....
According to Lola, the new puppy, I am absolutely starving her. She's constantly hoping for more food. Tiki, however, seems to be the only lab in existence that is not a chowhound. She's never been food motivated and while she loves the meat she's now getting, she's never been pushy for more. She certainly won't turn down treats or extra meat, but she's very polite and not a beggar. I really can't believe what a wonderful puppy she is! I'll keep an eye on her weight though. She seems to be just right now so I guess my job is to maintain that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Does the 2-3% apply for prepared raw medallions (Nature's Variety) as well? My puppy is 7 months and I am not sure if I would follow the recommended amount for an adult at her weight (42 pounds) or the amount listed for a puppy. She should be about 50-55 pounds as an adult.

According to NV, adult portion for her would be 9.3 oz. (9 1/2 medallions)

Puppy "more than half grown" portion would be 18.7 ounces (18-19 medallions)

Big difference!!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would base feeding the pre made stuff off their packaging. I can't really offer much advice other than that since I don't know what is in them really...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
According to NV, adult portion for her would be 9.3 oz. (9 1/2 medallions)

Puppy "more than half grown" portion would be 18.7 ounces (18-19 medallions)

Big difference!!!
You're talking the small medallions, right? Not the hamburger size patties?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You're talking the small medallions, right? Not the hamburger size patties?
Yes, yes. The 1 oz. medallions. I should probably try out the hamburger size patties, huh? I just haven't seen them at my local pet food store, but maybe I wasn't digging deep enough in the freezer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts