Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
actually feed a whole meal of pork? This is Jody's 3rd. month on raw food and I have introduced chicken, turkey, pork, and beef. She can handle a full meal of poultry with no problem but when I give her more than 5 ounces or pork for one meal it gives her diarrhea. Will there come a time where I can just give her a meal of pork?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was feeding pork about 3 weeks in with no issue. :)

I would definitely go for it!

Reactions: Jodysmom

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jody is about 3 yrs old, 70 lb. German Sheperd. I find bone fragments in her stool everyday but her weight is perfect. I am feeding Boston Butt...at your recommendation. I fed her 9 ounces yesterday and she had a very loose mucousy stool this morning. I am also giving her about 3 ounces of beef kidney/liver everyday and she has no problem with it. Should I hold off on the organs while I am bumping up her pork intake?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
It sounds to me like she can't handle both the organ and the pork transition together, If it were me, I hold off on the organ meals for now and do the pork until she can handle it, maybe cut back on the portion and work up to where she has a whole meal with no issues. It really depends on the individual dog some have no issues with transitions and others do.

Reactions: Jodysmom

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Any reason why you're feeding the organs every day? It could be the combo of the two is what she can't handle.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I agree with Leo...hold off on the organs maybe a day before and a day after you plan to do an exclusively pork meal. On the day before and the day after this pork meal, make sure you are feeding really bone dense meals like exclusively chicken backs or turkey necks. That way she is going into a pork meal "prepared" to handle a day without any bone. Keep the amount of pork down at first and slowly add more in.

You actually should try a bone in pork source first like riblets or something before going bone free meal....just a thought since the pork roasts really don't have much edible bone in them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice..thanks everyone!

Rannmiller-I feed a little organ everyday instead of as a full meal. Jody tolerates it fine and it is only a small portion of her diet. I agree that it could
cause problems though when trying to feed more pork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts