Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious! I don't feed Eukanuba, but I received some email from PetsMart today saying something about a nationwide shortage of Euk. due to Proctor & Gamble having nationwide manufacturing restraints. Anyone know what this means?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You know, I stopped in at Petsmart this evening, just to look around. They have one FULL aisle dedicated to Eukanuba and normally it is stocked floor to top shelf with bags. Today, I noticed that there was hardly anything on the shelves. I'd say there was about 20% of the Eukanuba stock they normally carry. I did find it strange, but since I don't feed that brand, I didn't investigate.

It seems strange that there could be a "shortage"...makes me wonder if it is an intentional shortage (while they iron out their quality control issues) due to the recent recalls?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
good. hopefully it will inspire some to look into other options.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I work at Petsmart, and from what the reps and everything have told us they are updating some of their plants because of the salmonella issue that happened a few months ago. They want to put in quality control systems to better monitor where things go wrong so that they don't have to do a major recall again...they can just pin-point the source instead. That's what they've told us to tell customers...who knows if it's true or not....:confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
something bad wrong here ... could it be the beginning of the end for the recently acquired product line? Stay tuned ...

·
Registered
474 Posts
What, you think they are going to somehow merge Eukanuba/Innova?
Well lets see ... "it's too expensive to produce our new line only in CA so lets retro fit our plants so we can produce any kibble at any plant. And while we are at it, we might as well use the same suppliers .... after all sourses of raw material doesn't really matter; chicken is chicken isn't it"?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well lets see ... "it's too expensive to produce our new line only in CA so lets retro fit our plants so we can produce any kibble at any plant. And while we are at it, we might as well use the same suppliers .... after all sourses of raw material doesn't really matter; chicken is chicken isn't it"?
I guess if they are going to fill Wallmart and Target they are going to have to.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I wonder how long it will take P&G to turn Innova, EVO and California Natural into crap???
I don't think they'll make many changes that would make it outwardly look like crap, really. That's what their Iams customers are for.
I think that obviously quality control will be down, and perhaps the quality of the starting ingredients.

P&G would have bought the Natura line out to appeal to a broader spectrum of buyers. Changing i TOO much, would defeat that purpose. Subtle changes, perhaps. But i don't think we'll be seeing Corn in EVO any time soon. A bit more rice in cal nat, perhaps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bottom line...stay tuned...

Noticed it also but I got lost in that "aisle" while trying to find cat toys..they change inside of their stores (Petsmart/Petco) so often,that you have to ask for directions.........:confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm worried about how P&G will change the "source" of where Natura ingredients will come from. This is something that is not required to be on the ingredient lable on the bag/can.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It just amazes me how people who think that P&G who is one of the largest most successful businesses in the world can't run a little company like Natura. They didn't get as big and successful as they are by being stupid. They know what they're doing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
They are driven by the bottom line - like most big companies in this country. They can easily buy out any of their competition and control the market. They could care less about the mom and pop operations they consume - or what the product is they produced. Their main driver is to maximize profits - period. Dog food is a widget and if I can produce the widget cheaper, then my bottom line is bigger. And we all like bigger bottom lines! It's America - the Company President is happy, the Board of Directors are happy, shareholders are happy, and we all win. It doesn't matter what we did to the widget, we made more money.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It just amazes me how people who think that P&G who is one of the largest most successful businesses in the world can't run a little company like Natura. They didn't get as big and successful as they are by being stupid. They know what they're doing.
I'm sure they are making a ton of money on Iams and Eukanuba, but I would love to see how the formula of these foods has changed since they bought them.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm sure they are making a ton of money on Iams and Eukanuba, but I would love to see how the formula of these foods has changed since they bought them.
Someone found a label from an old bag of Iams and posted it on here...I just can't find it.

It changed, but it was a poor food even before P&G bought it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They are driven by the bottom line - like most big companies in this country.
ALL companites regardless of size are driven by bottom line despite what the officials may tell you. ALL companies.

They can easily buy out any of their competition and control the market.
Yes, they can. In the case of Natura, they weren't big enough to be competition. P&G's competition in the dog food arena is Ol' Roy, Purina, etc. The other little companies are not a blip on the radar screen. They mean nothing to P&G's bottom line.

They could care less about the mom and pop operations they consume - or what the product is they produced. Their main driver is to maximize profits - period.
Again, the same with every company. Believe it or not, Natura was exactly the same. Natura execs decided that the way to maximize profits was to sell a high end product in botique stores so that is what they did. Natura execs were smart enough to know they couldn't compete with the big boys.

Dog food is a widget and if I can produce the widget cheaper, then my bottom line is bigger. And we all like bigger bottom lines! It's America - the Company President is happy, the Board of Directors are happy, shareholders are happy, and we all win. It doesn't matter what we did to the widget, we made more money.
So tell me a company that's not like that. I have also worked for small companies, even owned a couple and I can tell you for certain, bottom line was the central focus of every major decision. If its not going to increase the bottom line, they don't do it.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Again, the same with every company. Believe it or not, Natura was exactly the same. Natura execs decided that the way to maximize profits was to sell a high end product in botique stores so that is what they did. Natura execs were smart enough to know they couldn't compete with the big boys.
natura was smart. p and g made them an offer they couldn't refuse. :)

i don't understand why natura is on a pedestal..... when, what they did...was uh...sell out? take the money and run? it was a perfect business decision for them.

same with many small companies who get eaten up by bigger companies. most of the buyouts are not hostile takeovers....and p and g wanted to widen their market share. smart.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my area 2 small "mom & pop" specialty dog stores have dropped or are dropping Natura foods since the P&G takeover/buyout due to quality reasons. Just look what they did to IAMS and Eukanuba. Now Natura foods will only be carried by one of the "big box" chain dog stores.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
In my area 2 small "mom & pop" specialty dog stores have dropped or are dropping Natura foods since the P&G takeover/buyout due to quality reasons.
They will soon see the error of their ways and take them back. Nothing negative is happening to Natura products.

Just look what they did to IAMS and Eukanuba. Now Natura foods will only be carried by one of the "big box" chain dog stores.
Different product, different niche. What exactly did they do to IAMS and Eukanuba? A big box chain store is carrying EVO?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts