Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., someones playing a joke on me, my dogs recently now being raw fed for about 2-3 weeks seem to forgot how to hold it to go outside. All of a sudden
they will be playing and turds come out, whats up with that? It seems that my house has now become fair game for all kinds of crap that never happened before. Does someone want to enlighten me please!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
O.K., someones playing a joke on me, my dogs recently now being raw fed for about 2-3 weeks seem to forgot how to hold it to go outside. All of a sudden
they will be playing and turds come out, whats up with that? It seems that my house has now become fair game for all kinds of crap that never happened before. Does someone want to enlighten me please!
It is always suggested that you feed either raw or kibble. The two just don't mix well because of the difference in digestion time between raw and kibble with raw being digested much faster than kibble. However I have known people who successfully fed a mix of the two.

I have never heard of the problem your dogs have. Do all of your dogs do this or just one? If both I think it could probably be related to being fed both diets and their bodies are confused. If just one, I would guess that it is some physical problem unrelated to diet.

Do they appear to be unaware of what is happening? When did this first happen? How long after beginning raw? How old are the dogs? Are you mixing raw and kibble in the same meal or seperate meals? Are these stools soft and mushy or solid? Do they also have normal poops outside? Do they ever ask to go out? Did they ask to go out before?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree with RFD.

I also have some questions: Since you know it's a problem that might happen, are you pre-empting it by playing with your dogs outdoors and praising them when they go poop outside? Are they squatting to do it? Does it look intentional or accidental? Maybe make sure they're going to the bathroom before they come inside to play, and if it's just one dog doing it, I'd say take that pup to the vet to make sure it doesn't have a medical problem.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not feeding any kibble to the dogs since they started the raw, no treats, and they really feel that one! I have found turds that could have been my females, but I definitely have seen my male, and it's like what just happened? In the past, Cayenne always went to the door, or she could hold it as sometimes with my work schedule I would be gone 10 hrs, Leo came and had issues at first, as a rescue he was kept in his crate or the garage, and just went where he was, but we had that all worked out. It seems that they have to go way more #2 even though it is in smaller increments than before, and probably
1or so hours after feeding breakfast., but they always get up in the morning and go too.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
How are the stools looking? Do you feed any veggies or grains? I know that loosens up the stools like no other.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not feeding any vegetables or grains, the stools look exactly like I would think they should look, short and formed and kinda crumbly when you pick it up. It just seems like he has no notice as to when its going to come out. I'm pretty attentive to my dogs, just ask my vet. I usually notice when they have to go out, now my husband, that's another story.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Huh, now that is weird! At least it's not diarrhea right? I'd say take him to the vet and make sure everything's working right. Sound's like the stools are perfect, so there might be something going on internally.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm not feeding any kibble to the dogs since they started the raw, no treats, and they really feel that one!
Sorry, I misread your OP. I read "for about 2-3 weeks" as "2 to 3 times a week". Im gonna go back to school and take remedial reading. :smile:

I have found turds that could have been my females, but I definitely have seen my male, and it's like what just happened?
Tell us in detail exactly what you feed, how much, and when.

It seems that they have to go way more #2 even though it is in smaller increments than before, and probably
1or so hours after feeding breakfast., but they always get up in the morning and go too.
Normally when dogs switch to raw, they have much less volume of poop than on kibble. My 2 Great Danes poop maybe 3 or 4 little turds about the size of my thumb a day.

I wouldn't worry about the vet just yet. With more information, we may just get to the bottom of this ourselves. As I understand it, they poop little turds often during the day and appear not to know its coming. Have you actually seen this happen to both dogs? How many times has it happened? Is it just a one or two time thing or has it happened several times since switching to raw? How soon after switching did it begin? And of course we need to know what you feed, when, and how much? How do you react when it happens?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say that as I think about it, it seems to only have happened after I've fed them turkey necks. Chicken backs in the a.m. and turkey necks or chicken in the p.m. as they aren't far enough yet to be able to broaden their horizens, or are they? Leo did look like he may have gotten sick once a couple days ago, a little chunck of turkey neck and some turds too. I've read that some dogs just don't adjust to turkey, could that be the issue? I feed in the a.m. between 7:30-8:30 and in the p.m. 6-7, Leo weighs 53lbs now and gets 3 chicken backs and a wing, or 2 leg quarters, or depending on size 3 or 4 turkey necks. Cayenne is a couple lbs lighter and I just adjust it a little. They love the raw food, but seem to be getting bored, lets hope its time to move to something a little more exciting for them, they are bull terriers after all.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I would say that as I think about it, it seems to only have happened after I've fed them turkey necks. Chicken backs in the a.m. and turkey necks or chicken in the p.m. as they aren't far enough yet to be able to broaden their horizens, or are they?
I would prefer to get them straightened out before we added more stuff to the diet.

I read that some dogs just don't adjust to turkey, could that be the issue?
It's possible but probably not.

I feed in the a.m. between 7:30-8:30 and in the p.m. 6-7, Leo weighs 53lbs now and gets 3 chicken backs and a wing, or 2 leg quarters, or depending on size 3 or 4 turkey necks.
We may have just found our problem. Both my dogs are 145lbs. Thor gets 2 backs for morning meal and 2 chicken quarters or 2 turkey necks or other similar sized meals for evening meal. The turkey necks are not cut and are about a foot long and weigh about a pound. Abby who is getting pretty old eats about half what Thor eats.

Cut back the amount you are feeding pretty much and see if that takes care of the problem. If not, hold off on turkey for a week or so and see what happens. Do only one of those at a time. If you do both, we won't know which fixed it.

Cayenne is a couple lbs lighter and I just adjust it a little. They love the raw food, but seem to be getting bored, lets hope its time to move to something a little more exciting for them, they are bull terriers after all.
They may be acting bored because they just aren't hungry. Cut back on the volume of their meals by about half.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, I thought that seemed like quite a bit much. It's about twice as much as what my dogs get (25 lbs active young dog, 45 lbs not as active 7 year old, and 65 lbs old crippled dog). They get a large chicken leg quarter per day or the equivalent thereof of another type of meat and they all maintain their ideal weights beautifully with no mystery poops in the house.

I agree with RFD, it sounds like they're just getting too much. Take his advice and see if it helps!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would have to agree with RFD, the dogs will let you know when they are not hungry anymore. Owen will sometimes not want his food in the morning and he will take it to the corner of the yard and hide it under the pine straw until later that day. He has also figured out how to open his frige and make himself at home and make his own meal sometimes. I literally had to put a child resistant lock on the door! :) I only feed Owen about a pound to a pound and a half of meat everyday. He weighs 55 pounds and is also not nutered yet and needs a little more to keep his motabilism up, but that is a good range to work towards for your dogs. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts