Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a 9 week old Australian Shepherd, she came to us eating purina puppy chow but after a little research I know this is NOT what I want to stick with. Could someone please recommend a high quality food that is still affordable. Also, we live in a very rural area so it needs to be something I can actually get. Thanks so much ! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
APM,

nowadays, you can get about anything...many of us use Petfooddirect.com and Heartypet.com.... we all try to communicate coupons(they offer lots of deals every month on shipping and/or a certain percentage off).

You'll hear lots of brands tossed around with funny names like Orijen, Evo, Acana...and Fromm.

Can you tell us if you'd be willing to either order online or if not, tell us what brands are available in your area?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be ok with ordering online as long as the shipping was resonable, the only stores in my area are Tractor Supply, Purina feed, and Wal Mart ( I'm not sure what they carry ).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Blue Buffalo is sold at Tractor Supply stores, that is better than anything you'd get at Walmart. 30 lb bags run about 46$

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Congrats on your pup! I would suggest Blue Buffalo or Taste Of The Wild from the Tractor Supply, as nothing from purina or walmart is good nutrition for your puppy.

Reactions: APM
L

·
0 Posts
The 4Health line at Tractor Supply is good and reasonably priced. If you wanted to go grain free, I would agree with the above posts that Taste of the Wild is a good choice.

Congrats on your Aussie pup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help, I will be checking in to the ones sold at TS first.

·
Banned
539 Posts
So you do realize your dog is super active? I think you know that, so a good dog food is what you need. Money could be an issue, buuut I have no idea. We don't have TS where I live and I have access to most good brands. But before we get into that let me point out my last post

Well here is my list of great to very good dog foods, some have puppy foods and some don't. Some, I am not sure about if they have puppy food or not. EVO and Wellness Core do not have a puppy food. But California Natural has a awesome puppy food. But as far as I am concerned, Orijen is in a league by them selves.

The A list
1. Orijen--Puppy yes
2. Acana, Wild Prairie, Pacifica & Grassland only.
3. Wellness Core
4. Go, Natural Grain Free Endurance.
5. Blue Wilderness
6. Taste of the Wild, wetlands & prairie only.
7. Instinct
8. Artemis--Puppy yes
9. Fromm--Puppy yes
10. Acana, the rest of their products.--Puppy yes
11. Evo
The B list
1. Now-Puppy yes
2. GO, chicken, salmon only.
3. Merrick--Puppy yes
4. Evangers
5. Timberwolf
6. First Mate--Puppy yes
7. Wellness
8. Solid Gold
9. Canidae, grain free ALS only.
10. California Natural--Puppy yes
10. Nature’s Logic
11. Karma
12. Summit Holistic
12. Taste of the wild, rest of their products.
13. Innova--Puppy yes
14. Heath Wise
15. Costco’s Kirkland brand

Keep in mind it is also very important to find a dog food company who manufactures their own products and here is that list....

Champion foods (Orijen & Acana)
Fromm
Merrick
Horizon Legacy
Petcurean, Go, Now & Summit
Natura Pet, Evo, Innova and California Natural, Dry only..
First Mate
Precise, dry only
Timber wolf ???
Breeders Choice (Avoderm and Pinnacle), dry only..
Eagle Pack, dry only..
Evanders
Flint river ranch
Holistic Blend ???

And I believe you should always give your dog or puppy some extra meat, cooked eggs or cooked chicken as often as U can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I do realize the aussie is an active breed. We live on a 4,000 acre ranch and have 2 boys (3 and 10 months) , so she will have plenty of jobs to do!:wink: I am glad you mentioned adding the meats and eggs because that was another question I had - Is it a good idea to combine raw feeding with a quality kibble and how is the best way to do that ?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to mix feeding raw and kibble at the same time. Raw is digested much, much faster than kibble and this could cause digestive upset. I would either stick to a decent kibble or go completly raw. If you wanted to add in some variety and moisture you could mix in some canned dog food with your kibble. Canned food tends to have a higher meat content.

My dogs get a spoon full or two of canned mixed with their kibble. As far as the canned food goes, I always look for sales and feed a minimal amount at each feeding because it can get expensive. :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reason I asked about mixing raw amd kibble is that we travel alot (mostly day and weekend trips ) and I dont see how that would work with the raw. Any of you that feed raw have a solution to this ?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Natalie (danemama08) raw feeds and I know that they go on vacation fairly often. She says that feeding raw while traveling is very, very easy. I am sure she will post soon. :smile:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
We travelled with our two dogs in a motor home across the entire country and found that packing several cases of canned and a couple bags of kibble worked out well for us. That way when we got to a big town, if there was a decent pet store, we could restock but we didnt' have to worry about running out of food while we were in small towns. We supplement our kibble with grain free canned (bought by the case on BIG sale) or cooked meat leftover from our own dinners or bought on sale. The dogs are doing well on this. I use mostly petfooddirect.com for ordering online and wait for their 18-20% coupon codes combined with the sale prices.

Your pup is adorable!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Whenever we've gone out of town, we just packed a cooler with meat. It is just as easy to feed Ania raw as it was when we fed her kibble on the go. And if we ran out, we'd just restock at a local grocery store.

It's really very easy to stick to a raw diet when traveling. Switching from raw to kibble is hard on the dog's system. The digestion process for each is different. So it is very much worth it to me to stick with raw.

BTW, the puppy in your avatar is SUPER CUTE!!!!

Richelle

·
Banned
539 Posts
I know a lot of people who mix with NO problems. When I give my dog his 2 eggs I cook them on low while he eats, then when they are good and cold I give them to him. With the meat I wait about 20 minutes and give it to him as a treat. With the butcher bought meat I use a spoon and with the stew meat or cooked chicken I hand feed him. He really thinks he is getting a big time treat.

Look at his eyes. ya think he likes that? LOL

Did ya notice the kitty scratch on his nose??

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Why is it, every thread has to turn into a raw feed thread. If we wanted to feed raw we would go to the raw feeding thread.!.!
Maybe because the OP asked about raw feeding because YOU mentioned in your post that you incorporate it in your feeding regimen.

Maybe you should take that portion out of your standard copy/paste response if you have a problem with people asking for clarification in the kibble section.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Why is it, every thread has to turn into a raw feed thread. If we wanted to feed raw we would go to the raw feeding thread.!.!
Holy cow!! Are you kidding me??
YOUR the one that posted it in the bottom of YOUR post!
Plus, the OP asked about it! I am sure that if the OP is wanting to learn more he/she will know to go post in the raw section.

To be honest, it really doesn't bother me if a kibble thread turns into a raw thread or if a raw thread turns into a kibble thread. In the end we are all here because we want the best for our dogs! People are here to learn. I can't understand WHY people MUST post if all they are going to say is not helpful! If you come to something that you don't feel like reading (raw stuff for instance) then JUST MOVE ON rather than post a nasty message!

Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

ETA: I REALLY hope that the pics. you posted are of your dog eating canned food, because this IS the kibble and canned food section of the forum. If it's pictures of your dog eating raw, then you know that should have been posted in the RAW SECTION. :rolleyes::wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
to understand what you said..so i have clarity, when you said this
And I believe you should always give your dog or puppy some extra meat, cooked eggs or cooked chicken as often as U can.
extra meat meant cooked extra meat?

on the other hand, why get so snippy....

sometimes when we're keyboarding here and anywhere else, we're not speaking face to face....so we all do not possess commonality of language...things need to be made clear....

if you were misunderstood...okay....just say so...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts