Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took Aspen to work with me so the Dr. could look at him and get some x-rays done on him. I'm finally off my 90 day probation and get 50% off services as an employee!! Unfortunately, the x-rays did not get done because we were swamped. I mean it was so bad, I don't think the Dr. even took his lunch. Anyway, he did have time to look at Aspen. He did an overall check and paid close attention to his hips, knees, elbows and shoulders. He did whine a little when he messed with his hips (I don't know if it actually hurt him, or he's being a baby like he normally is. He tends to be very vocal.)

The Dr. wants x-rays on his hips, elbows and shoulders. He said he has elbow arthritis on his right elbow. Should I go ahead and do the x-rays or should I just let it go? I mean, this doesn't seem to bother him at all. I'm thinking it is just arthritis and I should not do the x-rays. But then again, if it is something bad, I don't want it to get worse down the road. What do you all think?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If it were me I think I would go ahead and get the x-rays done (especially since you get a discount). I would feel better knowing, good or bad, what the elbow and hips look like. If everything looks good then you can chalk it up to only arthritis (or whatever), but if they look bad then you can go from there.

I think it's just my worry wort side coming out! :tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Does he need to be sedated to do the x-rays? That would be a big deciding factor for me going ahead with it or not. Most of the time for orthopedic x-rays animals need to be sedated to let us manipulate the joints to the point where we can get good views. Especially if the animal is painful at all.

Another thing to keep in mind when doing this is...what do you really gain from knowing where he has arthritis? What would you do differently if you knew? I'm not saying don't find out, but just to put that out there for you. I will always have my dogs hips and elbows checked even at a young healthy age without signs of pain or lameness, just for peace of mind. BUT I do this at the same time as another procedure that requires anesthesia (spay/pexy for the Danes).

Does your boss know that you feed a raw diet?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yes he does. This is what I don't like about it. I don't like to have him put under. Is it a bad thing if he's put under?
Its not necessarily a bad thing. BUT there is a chance that he may have an adverse reaction. Are you willing to put him in that risk? The risk I would say is very, very low especially if you do bloodwork and iv catheter during the procedure. Is there any other reason you can think of that he would need to be sedated? I would suggest a dental, but since he is raw fed that is a moot point LOL....I can't think of another reason why he would need to be sedated. Kinda like hitting two birds with one stone.

Yes he does. He's all for it!!
Woot!!!! Count your lucky stars!!!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any other reason you can think of that he would need to be sedated? I would suggest a dental, but since he is raw fed that is a moot point LOL....I can't think of another reason why he would need to be sedated. Kinda like hitting two birds with one stone.
HE DON'T NEED NO DENTAL lol!!!!

I can't think of any other reasons. This is something I will have to think long about.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
What will you gain from knowing?

What will you do differently by knowing?

Those are the two main questions I have because if you knew that his joints were not the best in the first place you would already want to do preventative measures. Right? What exactly would change about this point other than seeing for a fact that he does have arthritis? Couldn't you just assume that he needs a lot of preventative/supportive care for his joints?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What really gets me thinking are his shoulders. I want to know what is causing that popping noise. What if it gets worse down the road?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If you want to know, then you should have x-rays done. End of story, get the peace of mind and don't worry about it anymore. He will most likely do just fine.

BUT I will say that you *probably* wont gain anything from having x-rays done, probably just that he has arthritis. Clicking and popping is not necessarily indicative of anything. We have a dog that comes into the clinic that clicks and pops everywhere and at the slightest touch. She has mild arthritis and nothing else, but she is an older dog...so that doesn't tell us much about why she clicks and pops in her joints. Her mom doesn't do anything different other than supportive/preventative measures that she was already doing before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts