Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the chicken I could take anything from becka with the offer of cooked chicken. However, there is evidence that she is become very protective of her chicken pieces, (she tried last night to swallow the hole drumstick when I walked past her). I was just wondering what people use to bribe their dog away from the tastiest food they have ever had!!

I would rather nip this behaviour in the bud at 14 weeks rather than let her get away with it and it come back to nip me when she finds a dead rabbit out on a walk.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that would have been useful to include, Doh!

Dried liver, cooked chicken, smoked sausage, and as a last resort the old chew she sometimes likes.

Things I still have left to go on my list
Cheese, other meats either cooked or dried.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
What I suggest you do is start from the beginning and teach your puppy a "drop it" command starting with something she'd flash give up eventually working up to getting her to take food out of her mouth. You should never be a bully about this but I do think it's important to teach your puppy to trust you. Don't ever just take food right out of her mouth, that will just make her trust you even less and want to guard it even more.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not sure if this is the case, but just a heads up...if you make a big deal about what your dog currently has, such as making it seem like it's valuable by insecurely going after it or seeming chaotic in trying to get it then the dog will see it as an important resource and be much more likely to not give it up no matter what's offered.

Like I said, I don't know if that's happening, but I figured I'd mention it just incase. :biggrin:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had been doing well with her bowl of food and toys swapping them for other food or toys, but then she did not like the kibble that much compared to what I was using instead!

I will back of a couple of meals and just let her eat, as at the end of the day she does not initially lunge for the food and just waits till I give it to her so I don't want to loose that bit of the manners training, and keep working on the leave it command.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts