Dog Food Chat banner

What kind of dog is the Obama family going to get?

Tags
obama dog
7K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  ChattyCathy 
I heard that they were going to go to a breeder, because they want a "pure bred dog", so that their allergic daughter won't suffer. This is the most ignorant thing I've heard. Rescues and pounds have pure breed dogs too, and unless you get a dog that doesn't shed, you'll still have problems with allergies (I know, I'm preaching to the choir on that point). I'm just disgusted right now & I hope it's not true.:mad:

Here's what was on "Extra":

November 6, 2008

Is This Obama's Dog?!
Posted by ExtraTV Staff on November 6, 2008 11:08 AM

President-elect Barack Obama promised his daughters a presidential puppy -- but is this poodle the pooch he chose to be First Dog?

That's false. Barack Obama met with author Jana Kohl and was so inspired by Kohl and her rescued pup, Baby, that he agreed to pose in this picture for her book, "A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere."

Obama has announced that his family plans to adopt a canine to join them in the White House, to raise awareness about the inhumanity of puppy mills -- and why they need to be shut down.

Honestly - I'm not even a fan of Obama - but I have to say that I will be impressed if he shuts down puppy mills.....actions speak louder than words. We hear so many promises from all sections of government - follow thru is what's important.

I also saw that it was to be the Portuguese Water Dog - and that they intend to get it from a rescue or the pound....hmmm not sure, but you could wait a really long time to find a specific breed at the pound or a rescue - and the article I saw said the dog was "arriving in April". Sounds suspiciously like a breeder waiting for a litter to be weaned to me.

Here's a question - don't you think it's a little vain to name a dog after yourself? Bo? B. O. Barrack Obama??

Also, is HE donating the money out of his own pocket? Or is it coming from some fund that the public ends up paying for.

I am VERY disappointed that he didn't get a dog out of a shelter or a rescue....using the excuse that the girls have allergies. Don't any dogs get rescued that are shed-free?

The whole situation just irked me....

The dog is cute though. He's going to have a good life - and that's what's important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.