Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my dogs shed.
I've always known malia is a heavy shedder.

I know pugs shed.
I was told that if i couldn't stand shedding --- don't get a pug.

but this?

OMG.

they are groomed, brushed....OMG.

does anyone else have this issue this summer?

it's not even all that hot here.

are they so healthy on raw they are producing enough hair to make their own designer line of clothing?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I'm in Florida and everyone I know who has a dog have been complaining about the exact same thing.
The only reason we can come up with is the hotter than normal weather. It's the only thing we all have in common.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The only one of my dogs that constantly sheds is the White boy, it drives me crazy especially since I'm a neat freak! But I love my dogs and I guess I put up with it, but I'm trying to remember if when I started out on raw if I had a constant shedding issue with my other dog as well and I can't quite remember.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
A lot of the dogs at my work are shedding like crazy. I think it has to do with the season/time of year. As long as your dog doesn't start to develop bald spots anywhere I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I heard someone say one time. It's not important how much they are shedding, rather how much they keep. :smile:
LOL...come on, bill...gimme a better answer than that.

their coats are magnificent...

I'M the one horking hair balls.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
OK, then ... that means they are shedding the right amount. :smile: Practice horking. :biggrin:

Seriously ... brushing more would help get the old hair off. I used to have 2 Goldens and I could brush out enough hair each week to make another dog. :smile: If the hair is bothering you that much, you may have to brush daily.

To answer your original question, yes, they are healthy enough to produce enough hair. Hair condition is a good indicator of internal health. When I was a young lad, my mother used to say she could tell how my health was by my hair.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, then ... that means they are shedding the right amount. :smile: Practice horking. :biggrin:

Seriously ... brushing more would help get the old hair off. I used to have 2 Goldens and I could brush out enough hair each week to make another dog. :smile: If the hair is bothering you that much, you may have to brush daily.

To answer your original question, yes, they are healthy enough to produce enough hair. Hair condition is a good indicator of internal health. When I was a young lad, my mother used to say she could tell how my health was by my hair.
should i feed my husband raw, then? he's bald. LOL

i accept your answer for the dogs. i shed more than they do, but i always attributed it to having long hair....and lots of it...

now that i'm thinking about it...when we fed them missing link, their shedding slowed down, yet their fur was very pretty...

now that they are on raw, their coats are blindingly black and thick..making me now wish i had bought black sheets :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of the dogs at my work are shedding like crazy. I think it has to do with the season/time of year. As long as your dog doesn't start to develop bald spots anywhere I wouldn't worry about it at all.
i'm almost wishing for bald spots LOL.....not really, but yeah, the shedding is awful.

now, we didn't have bubba last summer, so i don't know and he was a pedigree dog....we got him in september and it was already cooling off...

neither of them shed this much in the winter....and we started raw in march, so it's four months....

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
A lot of dogs shed their "summer" coat in prep for winter. So it really doesn't surprise me at all that he is shedding a lot right now. Just bathe him and brush him a ton right now...

·
Registered
995 Posts
should i feed my husband raw, then? he's bald. LOL

i accept your answer for the dogs. i shed more than they do, but i always attributed it to having long hair....and lots of it...

now that i'm thinking about it...when we fed them missing link, their shedding slowed down, yet their fur was very pretty...

now that they are on raw, their coats are blindingly black and thick..making me now wish i had bought black sheets :biggrin:
I heard you on that one. My furniture is black and the bird and the dog turn it into grey.

Reactions: magicre

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of dogs shed their "summer" coat in prep for winter. So it really doesn't surprise me at all that he is shedding a lot right now. Just bathe him and brush him a ton right now...
natalie....let me put this into perspective.....

we took both dogs to the vet today.

they had to bring in a cleaning crew to sweep up the room. malia is worse than the pug and bubba is bad enough.

i realise they were nervous...but when they play, it's like watching linus and the dust cloud.

i'm attributing this to raw and their coat health....

and as bill says, they have plenty of hair left and it's beautiful....

but wow. i've never seen anything like this.

it's like kibble inhibited hair growth and raw set it free.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
It was my understanding that raw fed dogs shed less. :confused: But my raw fed dog is a Standard Poodle and they don't really noticeably shed lol.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was my understanding that raw fed dogs shed less. :confused: But my raw fed dog is a Standard Poodle and they don't really noticeably shed lol.
that's what i thought...but i always had shih tzus; and, like poodles, they don't shed much at all.

i guess having two dogs that shed after having four dogs that didn't, i'm in hair shock :)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah two of my dogs are barely shedding at all this summer but Penny, oh man! That girl has decided she no longer wants fur on her sides, I guess. I finally got a zoom groom and have been using it on her twice daily and just get SO much fur off of her, it's ridiculous! In her defense, this is her first summer with no air conditioning so that could greatly be causing it. Either way, the girl is now getting fish oil daily!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts