Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I'm feeding my dog the food recommended by my vet (Hills Prescrption WD) but as I've done some research it looks to be not very good...not to mention I have to go to the vet's office to buy it.

I was wondering if anyone else had a dog with this condition that could recommend a food that I could try. As I understand the condition, the food mainly just needs to be low-fat to avoid flare-ups. I'm a relatively new dog owner and this is my first experience with this condition so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
the raw feeders will say to switch to prey model.

i dont have experience with it but there is a thread that someone started in the Health section =) Dry food wise, theres some really good ones out there like EVO, Merrick, Orijen, etc. They're a million times better than the Hills stuff. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
i don't have experience with pancreatitis but if you're looking to feed kibble i've heard good things about wellness core reduced fat. how low fat do you need? the wellness is i think 9 or 10%

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
A prey model raw diet will fix your dog right up. I have known many dogs with that condition that never had another problem after switching to it. To learn about this diet, check out my web page listed in my sig.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I second the Wellness Core RF! One of my dogs recently had a pancreatitic attack. At first I put him on Natural Balance Reduced Calorie (he liked it fine and it worked, but I really wanted a higher protein and grain-free is a plus). So I tried the Wellness Core RF. He loves it and it is working fine. He also needs to lose some weight and I hope this helps. I use some can for a topper also. For that, I use Merrick (the grain-frees, low glycemic only like Grammies Pot Pie, Turducken, Cowboy Cookout) and Innova Low-fat plus some others. He is doing great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts