Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right section or not, feel free to move if needed!

What do you keep on hand for your pets(natural or traditional)? What do you use these things for? Also, any home remedies that you have found useful for certain issues?

Thought it would be interesting to see what people keep in stock for their furry ones!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I have a long list: Nolvasan flush for wounds, calm coat for hot spots, bug bites or loss of hair, silver sulfadiazine cream for wounds once they are cleans.

Cephalexin 500 mg. tramadol, Metacam, these are items I always have on hand for, girl fights in the house, if my finger gets bit trying to break them up, and pain and anti- imflammatory medicines.

pepto bismol tabs, pepcid, and alprazolam (haven't used it recently) this is for Leo in case he needs to go to the vet. I have a basket of wraps, bandages etc. for emergency's I'm prepared for anything..........................................

Reactions: mischiefgrrl

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i don't have anything in stock but after reading
this thread i think i'm going to get a few things.
thanks.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have immodium for Chelsy (haven't needed any in a long time), kaopectate for Rocky (also haven't needed in a long time), chloraxedine spray, betadine spray, (both of those for cleaning hot spots and assorted boo boo's - thanks Danemama!!), and baby wipes for general ear cleaning,paw cleaning, and fuzzy butt cleaning. Advantix is on hand but I try not to use it more then once or twice a year.

As a general rule there isn't much in the way of sores or wounds that my dogs get anymore. Chelsy is on permanent Tramadol and Metacam now but that's an old age thing.

Back when I had girl dogs that got in fights we had a LOT more medicine on hand!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
zomax for ears
benedryl
bacitracin for cuts
hydrogen peroxide for just about everything
slippery elm for gastric and intestinal issues....capsules
a full tank of gas for anything more serious :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Chlorpheniramine for allergic reaction, peroxide for minor cuts/scrapes, zymox topical for hot spots and other skin issue, enzyme/probiotic supplement for digestive issues and I also had a basic first aid kit with bandages, etc that I take on hikes.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It's his first aid kit I take with me when we go on vacation (in small bottles of course):

Chlorhexadine solution
Hydrogen Peroxide
Isopropyl Alcohol
gauze
tweezers, scissors, clippers, exam gloves
Phazyme tabs
Cephalexine capsules
Tramadol tablets
Buffered aspirin
Lubricating jelly
animax ointment
Benadryl tablets
epi pen
rectal thermometer
tourniquet
syringes of all sorts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a long list: Nolvasan flush for wounds, calm coat for hot spots, bug bites or loss of hair, silver sulfadiazine cream for wounds once they are cleans.

Cephalexin 500 mg. tramadol, Metacam, these are items I always have on hand for, girl fights in the house, if my finger gets bit trying to break them up, and pain and anti- imflammatory medicines.

pepto bismol tabs, pepcid, and alprazolam (haven't used it recently) this is for Leo in case he needs to go to the vet. I have a basket of wraps, bandages etc. for emergency's I'm prepared for anything..........................................
I think you and I have the same medicine cabinet.... I get all of my first aid goodies from calvetsuppy.com I've learned to keep them around. I have more for the pets than I do for myself. For me? Advil and that's about it.

Reactions: whiteleo

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think you and I have the same medicine cabinet.... I get all of my first aid goodies from calvetsuppy.com I've learned to keep them around. I have more for the pets than I do for myself. For me? Advil and that's about it.
calvetsuppy.com does not open for me.....

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
RX Drugs:

Antibiotics:

Cephalexin
Amoxicillin
Clindamycin
Orbax
Clavamox
Doxycycline
Neo/Poly/Dex Drops

Pain Management:

Tramadol
Rimadyl
Metacam
Buprenorphine
Adequan injectable (for Emmy only for arthritis)
Lidocaine

My First Aid Kit:

Betadine
Chlorohexadine
Stretch gauze
Cast padding
Several different kinds of tape (stretch to extra sticky)
Vet Wrap
Animax cream
Sutures
Skin glue
Hydrogen Peroxide (for cleaning up blood only)
Needles and syringes

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
umm...

No RX stuff, not even for myself :p

we have some gauze (i'm a bit accident prone myself) for the dog for any lesions he gets from going bananas.

some kind of styptic powder for broken nails.

clorahex solution (1 gallon jug) for his feet

thats it.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Pretty simple around here.

NaturVet Cranberry Relief for UTI issues.
Animal Essentials Golden seal & Echinacea in case anyone seems "off"
Benedryl
Temeril-P

·
Registered
927 Posts
The "L" was dropped in "supply." Try:

Cal Vet Supply - your source for Antibiotics, Frontline, Syringes and Veterinary Supplies

The only thing I have to add is Gas-X. If you catch your dog in the first stages of bloat, it will buy a little time while rushing to the vet.
That is very good to know. Bridget had bloat before. Took her to the vet to get checked out and the vet confirmed that she had bloat. Without the money to pay for the treatment we did what we could do with the money we did have. Bridget recovered and all was well again.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
you guys are so prepared!

All I really have for emergencies is hydrogen peroxide in case Snorkels eats something and i need to make her puke. Came in handy with the grapes.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My dog kit is also my people kit:

Hydrogen Peroxide - cleansing and inducing vomiting when necessary
Alcohol
Colloidal Silver
Bentonite Clay - liquid Form
Cranberry Pills - UTI
Raspberry Leaf Tea
Liquid Vitamin C
Asorbic Acid - podwer
Ultra Primrose Oil
Sepia 30c
Pulsatilla 30c
Sabina 30cWormwood - liquid
Oil of Oregano - liquid and alcohol free
Yellow Cowslip Orchid - liquid
She Oak - liquid
Grapefruit Seed Extract - liquid by Nutribiotics
Aloe Vera -
Bovine Colostrum

That is about it. I have bandaids, sports wrap for sprains, hot packs, cold packs, thermometer, and extra droppers for med dosing

·
Registered
20 Posts
you guys are so prepared!

All I really have for emergencies is hydrogen peroxide in case Snorkels eats something and i need to make her puke. Came in handy with the grapes.
Hey, hydrogen peroxide is a life saver. It has saved me many a late night emergency call if owners have it on hand. (I'm one of the few vets that still is on call for emergencies).

When it is done fizzing it is just water and oxygen so is not harmful. Unlike syrup of ipecac which, if it doesn't cause your dog to vomit is toxic so now you have two problems.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for cleaning wounds initially as well.

Peptobismal is another good one to have on hand for the odd dietary indiscretion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts