Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our freezer is coming tomorrow! Whoooo hooooo! I got a 20 cf upright.....went to find best deal on a chest, but I am a girl and chose the pretty one (it was on sale)

So these are the prices I have found so far.....
Chicken backs - $18 - 40lb case
Chicken necks - $18 - 40lb case (not sure if I am going to get these)
Turkey Necks - $29.70 - 30lb case (bought one case because the guy was so nice and helpful, not sure if this is a great deal....grocery store sells them 1.49lb)
Pork Necks .58lb, not sure how big the cases are
Beef Livers - .45lb - 30-35lb cases
Ground pork - .89lb

What other parts are good to look for?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Our freezer is coming tomorrow! Whoooo hooooo! I got a 20 cf upright.....went to find best deal on a chest, but I am a girl and chose the pretty one (it was on sale)

So these are the prices I have found so far.....
Chicken backs - $18 - 40lb case
Chicken necks - $18 - 40lb case (not sure if I am going to get these)
Turkey Necks - $29.70 - 30lb case (bought one case because the guy was so nice and helpful, not sure if this is a great deal....grocery store sells them 1.49lb)
Pork Necks .58lb, not sure how big the cases are
Beef Livers - .45lb - 30-35lb cases
Ground pork - .89lb

What other parts are good to look for?
You got a good deal on backs and necks compared to what I paid - about $25.00 for a 40-pound box. I couldn't find turkey necks. I got chicken quarters for about .61/pound at Wal-Mart (a 10-pound bag). I haven't priced beef livers yet. I bought pork steaks - way too expensive but cheaper than pork chops - I didn't know it was okay to feed them ground pork. (I'm just learning.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah.....and I stopped by a game processing place earlier in the week.....he told me that I could fill up a whole truck with the stuff he could sell me during rifle hunting season. All for .30-.40 cents a lb. or less! So I am now anxious for end of October for reasons other than temps under 100 degrees! :smile:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Great!! Congratulations on the fridge. You are getting chicken backs at a good price. I get the same case for $14 but I haven't found anyone else that can get them that cheap. Forget chicken necks unless you have very small and I mean REAL small dogs or you have cats. Zilla is way too big for chicken necks. I haven't bought turkey necks in about 6 months but seems like I paid around $26 for a case of them so your price isn't bad. I don't feed pork necks anymore and haven't for years so I can't comment on those prices. I would forget cases of beef livers. It will take you forever to feed that much liver. I just pick up a package of liver at the grocery store each week and thats all I feed. I wouldn't feed grund pork. I just don't like ground anything unless I get it for free which I do from time to time.

If I were you, I'd also look at beef heart. Thats great nutritous meat to feed. For our purposes, heart is not an organ rather muscle meat. I feed a meal of beef heart at least once a week. Its rich so you don't want to start out by feeding a whole meal of beef heart but start small and work your way up until you are feeding a whole meal. In the beginning just feed a few chunks along with a meal.

I also feed some boston butt pork roasts once a week or so. I pick them up and the grocery store when they are on sale. I will get 6 or 8 at a time and they will usually come back on sale before I run out. They have a bone in the middle of them so I have the butcher cut them in half for me and each dog gets half a roast for a meal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Backs are actually one of the most expensive chicken parts in my area. I get quarters for .69 or whole chickens for around .89 lb. Those are the best deals I can find, unfortunately.

Mind if I ask where everyone is able to get 40lb boxes of parts? Do you go to a wholesaler or a co-op???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get the backs from a co-op for $16, but we add $2 per case for driver tip

But I have been calling around, asking the butchers at local grocers, and trying to think outside the box. Have you looked up meat wholesalers in your area? And I hate hunting, but the thought crossed my mind...... it wouldn't just be for sport.......j/k leaving that to those dirty stinky hairy men :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Mind if I ask where everyone is able to get 40lb boxes of parts? Do you go to a wholesaler or a co-op???
I get my stuff from a small independent grocery store. I have done this with several small stores over the years. Walk in the store (don't call on the phone). Strike up a conversation with the meat manager or store owner (often the same person) and ask him if can can order stuff for you in bulk. Explain to him that he can just add your order to his regular order, tell you when it will be in and you will come pick it up. He doesn't have to unpack boxes or anything. Just keep them in the cooler until you can get there. It's real easy money for him. He should give you a good price. My guy marks things up just a little.

When I have an order, I call him on Monday mornings so he can put it on his Monday order. He orders twice a week. The truck will come in on Thursday and I pick the stuff up that day.

There is a chicken packing plant about 40 miles from me that I can get chicken parts even cheaper but I don't care to drive that far.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got my chicken parts from a small meat market/grocery store, independently owned, but paid about $25.00 for a 40-pound box.

I was told about the dangers of choking on chicken necks but my dogs have both eaten them without any problems. One dog is about 45 pounds and the other is a JRT, about 15 pounds, and they both just crunch away on the necks and haven't choked yet.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I have the opportunity to get freshly butchered goat meat butchered to my preference for $2/lb. Do you think that's too much?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't know about goat meat prices, but it sounds good to me; send some my way.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wot wood somebudy want a wig fer in here? I dont tink old Tater iza gonna let noone put no wig on him. And Lucy iza purdy wid out one. Wigs? Dat dont make no cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts