Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading about raw feeding, and can't find any books on just raw. Everything appears to advise adding additional things?

What are everyones thoughts on the balanced diet.

And maybe some reading, maybe some books?

My big female seems to be consuming almost three pounds a day is that normal? She is a very high energy dog and I keep bumping it up some to keep weight on her.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Honestly I don't stress about balance, it all works out over time.
I feed organ when I think of it, I switch up my protein sources and I just eyeball how much to give them.
My big guy needs more food when he's more active, etc.

Did you try Dr. Lonsdale's books? I believe the only thing he suggests adding is table scraps, and even then I think he just adds it in there for convenience and cost? I'm not sure. :)
I found way more help and info on this site vs. books, though.
Nothing beats real life experience.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Get "Raw Meaty Bones" or "Work Wonders" by Dr. Tom Lonsdale for some reading, he is who really started the raw movement and it is who most of the raw feeders here follow. There are a lot of ways to raw feed. Adding in fruits and veggies, yogurt, tripe, supplements, you name it. I personally feed prey model raw style by trying to mimick the diet of te wild wolf consisting of just meat, bones and organ.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been reading different sites researching feeding Danes raw. Wow, everyone definitely has different ideas! Diesel is almost 11 months, is there anything I should be supplementing him with since he is still growing? He has lost a little weight so I will give him more food. His skin seems less red. His puppy acne is deffinitely better!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
As long as you feed from a variety of protein sources, feed appropriate amounts of bone and organ you don't need to supplement with much. The only thing I do supplement with is omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil capsules). But you have to finish the transition over to raw which takes a few months to get everything in. Don't worry about his diet being complete right away because everything will balance out over time. Glad to hear Diesel is doing much better already. If he is losing weight just increase his food a bit.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crazy lab

I have a name that goes with the crazy, but I won't post it...:biggrin: She is so full of energy all day long. She is field bread lab

I have introduced her to fish, eggs, beef, chicken, buffallo, elk, deer. don't know about pork though, it seems kinda fatty?

I recently competed my dogs in an event, and went with my friend, the vet, and she seems to be ok with the raw thing now. I was thinking of slipping her some reading on the whole thing. It was a little bit tuff doing the raw while traveling with big dogs but I did it. And it wasn't too bad. The other dogs on the truck seemed a little envious though.

My vet who was against the raw suggested that I feed her some ground beef that would have a higher % of fat? She is suggesting now, she is the one who suggested to feed the egg shell with the egg to me.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My vet who was against the raw suggested that I feed her some ground beef that would have a higher % of fat? She is suggesting now, she is the one who suggested to feed the egg shell with the egg to me.
I wouldn't feed ground unless you find it to be a necessity. You can get better cuts for cheaper and they'll have less bacteria :wink:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pork

question about pork, raw pork I've been told must be cooked because of worms? my husband told me that is it true? I haven't fed pork yet but it seems pretty cheap.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
question about pork, raw pork I've been told must be cooked because of worms? my husband told me that is it true? I haven't fed pork yet but it seems pretty cheap.
No, you can feed raw pork without worry. I've been doing it for years with no problem. What your husband said was true many years ago but pork bought in the US, Canada, Australia, and most of western europe is free of the trichinosis parasite IF you are buying from a grocery store or otherwise buying pork meant for human consumption.

If you are buying directly from a farmer, you might want to freeze it for a month before feeding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts