Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard many of you talk about feeding raw, and I understand that you are feeding your dogs raw meat. That makes sense, that's what they would be doing if they weren't domesticated... Do you also feed them vegetables? What about grains? I have three yorkies, and I read another post that said the small dogs should be fed thighs and legs... What about the bones? Yorkies have really bad disgest systems. They can't break down harsh materials, like bone. Would boneless chicken breast suffice? What about red meats? I'm just trying to understand what a typical raw meal looks like. We are really considering this, and I would greatly appreciate any insight.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Do you also feed them vegetables?
Some do and some don't. Personally, I don't because dogs are carnivores and carnivores eat meat, bones, and organs. Nothing else. Omnivores eat meat AND veggies and grains. Dogs aren't omnivores. I think some people feed veggies and grains because they were taught as children that you must eat your veggies to be healthy. They don't relize that dogs bodies operate much differently than humans.

I have three yorkies, and I read another post that said the small dogs should be fed thighs and legs... What about the bones?
They eat bones also.

Yorkies have really bad disgest systems. They can't break down harsh materials, like bone.
Actually bones are easier for a dog to digest than kibble. They won't have a problem digesting them.

Would boneless chicken breast suffice?
No, they need the nutrients in bone also. It would be their main source of calcium.

What about red meats?
I suggest chicken only for the first couple of weeks and then adding other protein sources at the rate of no faster than one a week until you have a good rounded diet. Red meat is good after their digestive system has adjusted to digesting real food.

I'm just trying to understand what a typical raw meal looks like. We are really considering this, and I would greatly appreciate any insight.
Check out the link in my sig. It should answer most of your questions. If you have more after reading it, come back here and ask or email me directly. :smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Raw would be a great option for your yorkies, especially since you've mentioned before that they've had issues with tartar build up and dull coats.

The chewing on the bones and meat helps naturally eliminate tartar and plaque for clean teeth and fresh breath.

The lack of processing of the meat helps bring much-needed enzymes back to other parts of your dogs' bodies so they can grow a better coat. It also helps cut back on pet waste (ie: puppies pooping on your carpet, when they do poop, it's tiny and rock hard). Since their poo will be firmer, it will help release their anal glands naturally so you won't have to have a groomer or vet tech do so for them.

The lack of grains in a diet helps eliminate tear staining and excessive eye discharge.

I was feeding very few grains and some veggies to my dogs when I first started them out on raw and soon noticed that whenever they got them, their stools were looser and more frequent than without. Since stools are an indicator of the efficiency of the digestive system, I took that as a clear sign that the grains and veggies were pretty useless in their diet. But we all have to learn that on our own.

Now the only thing I add to their diet is raw eggs, flaxseed, and salmon oil about once a week. That's as close to grains and veggies as they get and they've never been better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts